Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali
    #4565773 - 08/22/05 05:04 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Australian model jailed in Bali drug bust
August 22, 2005 - theage.com.au

Australian lingerie model Michelle Leslie could face up to 10 years in jail after getting busted on the Indonesian resort of Bali for allegedly possessing two ecstasy tablets, officials have said.

The 24-year-old, who has modeled for sassy lingerie line Antz Pantz and works under the name Michelle Lee, was arrested at a party near Bali's popular Kuta beach at the weekend.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said that while the charge had not yet been proven, "people should understand that if you're going anywhere in Asia you should never have drugs with you - the consequences can be quite dire.

"In this particular case, in Michelle Leslie's case, if she were convicted she could serve up to 10 years maximum in jail."

AFP role

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said the Australian consul-general had visited Ms Leslie last night, and would ensure she had access to her family and legal representation, he said.

Mr Downer said he had no knowledge of whether Australian Federal Police had been notified in advance of the raid.

If Ms Leslie is charged and is unable to fund her defence, the Australian Government could assist, he said.

He said Ms Leslie's arrest should serve as a warning to all Australians travelling overseas.

"The Indonesian police in Bali are really focussed on trying to stop Bali being used either for the trafficking of drugs, or the use of drugs, and there are substantial undercover operations taking place in Bali,'' Mr Downer told reporters.

"Australians, I would have thought, through the Schapelle Corby case and the Bali nine case, would know that you want to keep drugs right away from places like Indonesia . . . and for that matter, South-East Asia more generally.

"We've got an Australian on death row in Singapore for drug trafficking.

"We've got two Australians and an Australian resident on death row in Vietnam for drug trafficking, we've got the Schapelle Corby case, we've got the Bali nine case."

Top lawyer

Legal experts said Ms Leslie could escape a trial if she secured a top lawyer.

If the matter does reach court, Ms Leslie, who was on holiday in Bali with friends after working in Singapore, will likely face charges of drug possession that carry a maximum jail term of 10 years under tough Indonesian anti-narcotics laws.

But a Bali police source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said she would more likely face a punishment similar to another Adelaide person, John Julian Pyle, who earlier this month escaped with a relatively light five-month jail term for using hashish.

Not a user

Ms Leslie's parents told News Limited newspapers their daughter claimed she had a large handbag at the party, in which other people stored their bags.

The drugs were found in a makeup bag, News Limited reported.

Ms Leslie's parents, Albert and Violet Leslie of Adelaide, told News Limited their daughter did not use drugs.

Ms Leslie started full-time modelling at the age of 15 and has worked in a number of high-profile jobs, for clients including Myer and Antz Pantz underwear.

She moved to New York in 2003 to advance her career, returning to Sydney, where she lives with boyfriend Scott Sutton.

Crackdown

Ms Leslie is the latest Australian caught up in a long-running police crackdown on drug use on Bali and across the rest of Indonesia ordered by the new national police chief, General Sutanto, a former head of the country's anti-narcotics board.

She is being held in dingy cells at Bali police headquarters, where alleged heroin smugglers the Bali Nine were held until recently and, before them, convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby.

The cells have only basic washing and toilet facilities, and food-related illnesses are rife.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledr_gonz
Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: veggie]
    #4565785 - 08/22/05 05:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

sad sad bullshit. let the people live their lives

OfflineOrganic Happy Birthday
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #4565820 - 08/22/05 05:46 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Shitty :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleDa_Vine
eat me
Male

Loc: jamaica mon
Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: Organic]
    #4565960 - 08/22/05 10:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

to hell with indonesia. :mad: who would think they would know what xtc is..

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4565991 - 08/22/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Idonesia? Where the hell is that? Isn't that the asshole of the world?

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: DNKYD]
    #4566126 - 08/22/05 12:00 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

She kinda looks like the chick from legally blonde, except a little prettier and probably smarter. I'de roll with her anytime :wink:

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4566692 - 08/22/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

2 f*ckin rolls?? 10 years?? thats absolutely asinine.

--------------------

Invisibleveggie

#4569424 - 08/23/05 05:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Australia issues warning after model's Bali arrest
August 23, 2005 - nzherald.co.nz

Australians have been given strong warnings of the dangers of using drugs in Asia following the arrest in Bali of a top model, allegedly found with Ecstasy at a late-night party.

Michelle Leslie, the 24-year-old Adelaide model and advertising star, faces up to 10 years in jail if found guilty under Indonesia's unrelenting crackdown on illegal drugs.

Leslie, also known as Michelle Lee, was holidaying in Bali after working in Singapore when police arrested her and four others at a party at Kutas Cliffside GWK Cultural Park on Saturday.

She had flown to the island against the wishes of her family, who were concerned for her safety after the dramatic trial and conviction of Queensland trainee beauty therapist Schapelle Corby.

Nine other Australians face the firing squad for their alleged role in a heroin trafficking ring.

"I've been telling her don't go to Bali," Leslie's mother, Violet, told the Adelaide Advertiser.

"Not that she was going to do anything stupid, but she's a young, attractive girl and you don't know what people around her may do."

Leslie's father, Albert, told the newspaper that his daughter avoided all drugs, including medications.

"She doesn't take drugs - she doesn't take Panadol," he said.

"She won't even take anything when she's sick."

The possibility of yet another Australian being hauled before a Bali court on drug charges has renewed warnings about the dangers involved, especially with large-scale undercover operations in Bali to block the island's pivotal role in international narcotics trafficking.

"Australians, I would have thought, through the Schapelle Corby case and the Bali Nine case, would know to keep right away from drugs in places like Indonesia, and for that matter Southeast Asia more generally," said Foreign Minister Alexander Downer.

"We've got an Australian on death row in Singapore for drug-trafficking. We've got two Australians and an Australian resident in death row in Vietnam for drug-trafficking. The point must have arisen where people have realised that getting involved in drugs in Asia is perilous to say the least."

Australian consular officials have visited Leslie in a holding cell at Bali police headquarters in Denpasar and have offered help in finding legal representation and other advice.

Leslie has been working internationally through the Chic modelling agency, which removed her picture and details from its website after the news of the arrest broke.

She has found fame fronting a campaign for Antz Pantz and is also known as the face of the Crystelle lingerie line in Australia.

She was arrested for the alleged possession of two suspected Ecstasy tablets, although the nature of the tablets had still to be confirmed by tests yesterday.

A total of 15 tablets were seized from the five people arrested at the dance party.

Leslie's parents said the tablets did not belong to their daughter, but had been found in handbags that other people had left in her much larger bag.

Under Indonesian law, Leslie could be jailed for up to 10 years if convicted.

Sources told reporters for both News Ltd and Fairfax newspapers in Bali that she was more likely to face a lesser penalty, similar to the one imposed on 42-year-old John Julian Pyle, an Adelaide man sentenced to five months' jail for possession of 1.8g of cannabis resin - a light sentence by Indonesian standards.

In other developments, Justice Minister Chris Ellison said the Australian Government would go into bat as hard as it could to block the execution of any of the Bali Nine sentenced to death.

Invisibleveggie

#4577673 - 08/25/05 03:45 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Model's lawyers tight-lipped on ecstasy claim
August 25, 2005 - theage.com.au

Michelle Leslie's legal team has refused to confirm police allegations about how two ecstasy pills ended up in the Australian model's handbag.

The 24-year-old Adelaide woman was arrested outside a Bali rave party on Saturday night after police allegedly discovered the illegal drugs inside her purse.

Police say Ms Leslie told them that a friend called Mia purchased the pills in Legian.

The Age understands Ms Leslie said a dinner companion gave her the two tablets to put in her bag before they left separately for the dance party.

"She admitted she got it from Mia, her old friend in Bali," Bali drug squad chief Colonel Bambang Sugiarto said.

"Mia bought them while she was walking around in Legian for as much as 150,000 rupiah ($19) a pill," Mr Sugiarto said.

However a spokesman for Ms Leslie said the legal team was not prepared to back the comments made by police.

"While we do respect the position of the police and the statement attributed to them by the media, any comment said to be made by Ms Leslie must be considered in their full and detailed context," spokesman Sean Mulcahy said.

But Ms Leslie's legal team would not reveal her version of events yet, Mr Mulcahy said.

"At this stage the defence team is not prepared to provide the detailed version from our client until the appropriate stage in the proceedings."

Colonel Sugiarto said Mia, whose second name was not revealed by police, had been questioned by narcotics squad officers, but there was not enough evidence to detain her along with Leslie and she had apparently now left Indonesia, possibly for Singapore.

The possibility the drugs were given to her would not change police plans to charge her with drug possession charges carrying a maximum 15 years, Colonel Sugiarto said.

Leslie's Australian lawyer Ross Hill, has arrived in Bali to meet his client, whom he said was bearing up well.

"She was most relieved to see myself and glad to see someone she could clearly understand to assess the situation and explain it to her," he said.

But Colonel Sugiarto said Ms Leslie was continually crying during questioning and had not adjusted to her plight. Her behaviour was similar to Schapelle Corby's following her arrest, he said.

Mr Hill said he met Leslie's Indonesian lawyer Mohammad Rifan and had been thoroughly briefed.

Ms Leslie's mother, Violie, released a statement stating her family unequivocally supported her and "we are doing all we can to get her home".

Second Australian arrested

Meanwhile, a second Australian facing Indonesian drugs offences, Graham Payne, is likely to escape more serious charges that could have incurred the death penalty.

Police in Medan confirmed they had found no evidence in implicate him in drug manufacture or trafficking.

However, Mr Payne will face a third charge of drug use, on top of charges for possessing a small amount of heroin and amphetamines.

From Medan, Major Irwan Anwar said Payne's case should be presented to prosecutors next week.

Mr Payne continued to refuse to say how he had obtained the crystal methamphetamine and heroin found on him and in a urine test, Major Anwar said.

"So far, from the facts we have gathered, we are only eyeing him for possession and using," he said.

Police have arrested Mr Payne under amphetamine laws, carrying a five-year maximum jail term, and for possessing heroin, which has a potential 10-year term. The third charge of using drugs has a maximum four-year sentence.

Mr Payne had been working on the island of Sumatra as an English-language teacher.

Invisibleveggie

#4583048 - 08/26/05 04:35 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Model's lawyer withdraws from case
August 26, 2005 - theage.com.au

Michelle Leslie's Indonesian lawyer today quit her drug case saying he could not meet the expectations of the Australian model, her family and her Sydney lawyer.

''I am withdrawing from being her lawyer,'' Mohammed Rifan said.

''I resign as her lawyer because I cannot meet their target. I cannot fulfil all that they want.''

Rifan's surprise resignation comes just hours after he claimed that a document in which Leslie admits to being an ecstasy addict was a fake.

Media reports have cited what is purported to be a photocopy of a signed, four-and-a half-page transcript of a Bali police interview with Leslie on Wednesday.

In it, she allegedly told her interrogators she feared she was hooked on the drug and had sought treatment for the problem in Australia.

Rifan did not say who might have forged such a document.

Model denies ecstasy addiction

Adelaide-born model Michelle Leslie has denied claims she admitted to Indonesian police she was addicted to ecstasy and sought medical treatment to kick the habit, says a spokesman for her Australian lawyer and family.

The head of Bali's drug squad, Colonel Bambang Sugiarto, yesterday said Ms Leslie told police interrogators she had last used ecstasy two weeks before her arrest outside a Bali dance party on Saturday, when Indonesian officers allegedly found two tablets of the drug in her handbag.

A spokesman for the model's Australian lawyer and family later said Leslie denied the allegations.

"Ms Leslie strenuously denies the allegations being made against her and shall vigorously defend any such claims," the spokesman said in a statement.

Ecstasy-taking

In a signed statement of interview seen by The Age, Ms Leslie has admitted taking ecstasy on the afternoon before she was arrested entering a Bali dance party last weekend and that she planned to take one of the two tablets she was carrying.

In the statement, Ms Leslie said she felt addicted to the drug - which she had been using for a year - and could not enjoy parties without it.

Ms Leslie said a friend from Singapore she called Mia had bought two ecstasy tablets with her outside a popular nightclub on Friday night.

Although a urine test following her arrest on Saturday morning was negative, police were waiting for the results of a blood test taken on Wednesday.

Ms Leslie faces a possible 15-year jail term for possessing and using ecstasy under Indonesian law, even if she did not buy it. Police are searching for Mia, but she is believed to have fled Indonesia.

In the statement, Ms Leslie said Mia paid $20 each for the tablets after being approached in the street. She said she took the drug only for "special events" and did not know ecstasy was illegal in Indonesia.

Ms Leslie's lawyers still appear to be hoping laboratory tests on the pills will show they are fakes, despite preliminary testing finding them positive for the drug. There has been an unusual delay in completing the tests, which police said would be released four days ago.

Colonel Sugiarto refused to comment on Ms Leslie's statement, but said she would need to produce a doctor's report to prove her addiction.

Payne charges

A second Australian facing Indonesian drug charges, Graham Payne, is likely to escape charges that could have incurred the death penalty. Police in Medan said they had found no evidence to implicate him in drug manufacturing or trafficking.

More than 2000 pills found in Payne's house were "common drugs", not illegal narcotics or amphetamines, Major Irwan Anwar said. However, Payne will also face a third charge of drug use, on top of charges for possessing heroin and amphetamines.

Major Anwar said Payne's case should be presented to prosecutors next week.

Police have arrested Payne under amphetamine laws, carrying a five-year maximum jail term, and for possessing heroin, which has a potential 10-year term. The third charge has a maximum four-year sentence. He was working on the island of Sumatra as an English teacher.

Travel advice

Australians about to travel overseas are provided with travel advice on drug use and possession and possible penalties before leaving Australia.

Hints for Australian Travellers is a booklet provided by the Foreign Affairs Department and is distributed with every Australian passport issued.

The booklet points out that "ignorance is no defence" and that "consular assistance cannot override local law". Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam are listed as having tough drug laws, including life imprisonment and the death penalty.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4583083 - 08/26/05 05:24 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

In it, she allegedly told her interrogators she feared she was hooked on the drug and had sought treatment for the problem in Australia.

people do weird things when they are scared and being interrogated.

but then again when I got picked up for possession of mushrooms, my report said I told the cops that "I wanted to give them to my friend, I had taken them twice that week, and that I wanted to be a dealer" or some shit like that. :lol: stupid PO always changing the story.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4583824 - 08/26/05 02:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i dont think her sweet little ass will hold up in prison very lonf.

--------------------

Invisibleveggie

#4587519 - 08/27/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Desperate race to distance Michelle from Corby case
August 28, 2005 - smh.com.au

The parents of Sydney model Michelle Leslie are desperate to prevent their daughter becoming the next Schapelle Corby. As the 24-year-old completed her first week behind bars in Indonesia yesterday, relatives revealed they were hoping to learn from the mistakes made by Corby's family and legal team.

A spokesman for the Leslie family told The Sun-Herald: "It's an extremely difficult time but they want to remain as calm as possible. They've seen what can happen when things get out of hand," he said, adding: "The last thing they want is for this to degenerate into another Schapelle Corby."

But celebrity agent Harry M. Miller warned yesterday that Leslie had received "shocking advice". "I have been left speechless by the comments she is alleged to have made this past week. She seems like a really nice girl, it's another tragic situation for a young Australian to be in . . . but her guidance to date has been atrocious."

He added: "The first law in crisis management is to shut up and yet we've already heard so much which should never have been said."

After being caught in Bali with two ecstasy tablets in her bag, Leslie is alleged to have said during a police interrogation that she was addicted to the drug. Mr Miller said that while the Leslie family might have a plan in place, vital errors of judgement, like those made by Corby's family, were occurring.

"The Corby family rang our office after Schapelle had been arrested and wanted us on board. I spoke to the mother, I spoke to the uncle but what became very clear, very quickly, was that they simply could not stop talking.

"I asked them to zip up . . . but like they used to say in the old days, it was as though the entire family had been vaccinated with a gramophone needle."

One group unlikely to say much in the coming weeks is the family of Leslie's boyfriend, Scott Sutton.

Mr Sutton is an heir to the $200 million Suttons Holden fortune and the grandson of the company's pioneer, Sir Frederick Sutton.

The Sun-Herald understands the family are so concerned about the impact of any drug-related publicity, they want their name to be kept out of the media, at any cost.

Mr Sutton works at the company's dealership in Homebush.

A family friend who does not wish to be named said any assistance provided by the Suttons would be kept low profile.

"They want to do all they can for Scott in his bid to bring Michelle home. But at the same time, there are deep concerns about the impact any negative publicity could have on investment interests.

"They want their involvement to be kept as far away from the media as possible," he added.

Friends and business associates of Leslie defended her character yesterday.

Hairdresser Anthony Nader photographed Leslie recently.

"She's a stunning model with an extraordinary presence," he said. "A very professional and very pleasant person. There was none of the arrogance or rudeness which quite often accompanies people who work in her industry."

Mr Nader revealed that Leslie had invested in two organic health food shops in Sydney.

"As she left me that day, I thought what a beautiful person . . . she was a woman who appeared to really have her head screwed on. I would never imagined that a month or so down the track, she would be languishing in an Indonesian jail."

Invisibleveggie

#4611121 - 09/02/05 02:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Bali bribery probe in Leslie case
September 2, 2005 - seven.com.au

Police in Bali are investigating a bizarre bribery attempt relating to drug charges against Australian model Michelle Leslie.

It is understood an Indonesian man posing as Bali police chief General I Made Mangku Pastika rang the Australian consulate on August 24 and demanded 125 million rupiah ($A15,800) in return for dropping drug charges against Leslie.

"Would you like to handle this matter under the table?" the man is understood to have told Australia's consul-general in Bali, Brent Hall.

He demanded 75 million rupiah ($A9,500) to arrange a meeting about the issue, and 125 million to make Leslie's case "go away".

The same man is understood to have called the consulate on another occasion posing as Pastika's adjutant, Brigadier Wayan.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) confirmed the bribery attempt, which was reported to Pastika the same day.

Leslie had been told of the approach, a DFAT spokeswoman said.

"She confirmed to consular officials she had no knowledge of the incident and endorsed the consul-general's response of reporting it immediately to the Bali police," she said.

Pastika said Indonesian police were investigating the case and were preparing a trap for the alleged conman.

He said there was no suggestion Leslie's legal team or family was involved.

Lawyers for Adelaide-born Leslie denied any involvement in attempted bribery.

"On behalf of her Australian representatives and the Indonesian defence team we clearly state that no offer to assist other than in a lawful manner has been made or received by us," spokesman Sean Mulcahy said.

"Any suggestions to the contrary are inflammatory and highly offensive to all those involved in every aspect of this case."

Leslie, 24, is facing up to 15 years in prison for drug possession after police arrested her at a Bali dance party on August 20, allegedly with two ecstasy tablets in her bag.

Blood and urine samples taken when she was arrested have tested positive to amphetamines.

Pastika said police had taped a telephone conversation in Indonesian between the man and another Indonesian, in which the conman tried to take advantage of Leslie's predicament.

"They are making conversation about the promise to meet and to transfer money, that's it, in return for approaching me, Kapolda Bali (Bali police chief)," Pastika said.

He said no specific amount was mentioned during the telephone conversation, during which the man posed as Brigadier Wayan and promised to set up a meeting with Pastika in return for a fee.

He would not reveal the identity of the man contacted by Brigadier Wayan or how the conversation came to be taped.

However, he said the conman had tried to cheat other prisoners several times before.

"Some people are trying to use my name, not only in this case but also in other cases," Pastika said.

"This is all outsiders wanting to fish in the black water."

Pastika rejected local media reports that Leslie's lawyers had tried to pay a bribe of more than 5 billion rupiah ($A633,000) to have her freed.

"They are wrong," Pastika said, before issuing a general warning against bribery.

"I would like to tell anybody that bribery is not the good thing to settle this case. It won't work."

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #4611200 - 09/02/05 02:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

fuckin a man, shes a young girl. i wish they would realize how much of her young learning life they will be taking away from her. and only from two little pills she was gonna use for personal consumption only! its crazy how people act when we believe in our right to put what we want in our bodies.

Invisibleveggie

#4671856 - 09/17/05 12:29 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Leslie file in hands of prosecutors
September 17, 2005 - news.com.au

POLICE have taken the first step toward having Australian model Michelle Leslie charged with drug offences, yesterday handing a brief of evidence against her to prosecutors in Bali.

On the front page of the 1.5cm thick brief or dossier is a head-and-shoulders mugshot of Leslie taken recently by police.

They have recommended to prosecutors that Leslie, 24, face two charges -- a primary charge and a lesser subsidiary charge.

The primary charge, under Indonesia's psikotropika drug laws, carries a maximum 15-year jail term for those who, without right, possess, keep and/or bring psikotropika drugs.

The subsidiary charge carries a maximum three years' jail for those who receive or hand over psikotropika drugs.

For those who are users of the drug, the maximum is only three months jail.

The model has been held in Denpasar's Polda police headquarters jail since her arrest on August 20 this year.

Her team hopes to have her moved as early as next week to Bali's Kerobokan jail, which also houses Australians Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine heroin gang.

Leslie was arrested in a police drugs sweep as she was about to enter a party in Bali.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4671892 - 09/17/05 12:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Is it just this area, or does it seem that Bali is more lenient than the US?

Here we have a 2 year mandatory minimum sentence for getting caught with even a bowl of pot in a school zone.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Aussie lingerie model jailed in Bali [Re: Ravus]
    #4674369 - 09/17/05 04:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

In a school zone, maybe. Many places a bowl of pot is a ticket.

Indonesia has the death penalty for drug trafficking.

Invisibleveggie

#4858822 - 10/27/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

ADD drug leads Leslie defence in Bali
October 28, 2005 - theadvertiser.news.com.au

LAWYERS for Adelaide-born model Michelle Leslie, whose trial begins today, are confident they can convince a Bali court the traces of drugs found in her body were not ecstasy.

The Advertiser has been told Leslie's defence will rely heavily on evidence provided in a letter by a Victorian doctor that she was being treated for attention deficit disorder with a drug named Ritalin.

As with ecstasy, Ritalin contains amphetamines and could account for positive blood tests taken from Leslie after her arrest.

Two pink tablets found in a handbag in Leslie's possession tested positive to a substance called MDMA. Leslie's blood and urine also tested positive to the substance.

The Advertiser has obtained a copy of the letter but Leslie's confident Sydney lawyer Ross Hill yesterday refused to say how her lawyers planned to convince judges to ignore the test results. "We'll deal with those matters in court," he said.

The doctor's letter says Leslie may have been developing an addiction to Ritalin and there also are statements from a fellow model and her boyfriend who were with Leslie on the night of her arrest.

Prosecutors will outline a case against her under legislation which carries a maximum 15-year sentence for possession of ecstasy.

The decision to push ahead using the psikotropika drug law and its hefty maximum penalty comes despite the prosecutor's indictment suggesting that the drugs were put in Leslie's handbag by a girlfriend.

Leslie, 24, an underwear model who most recently appeared in an Antz Pantz campaign, faces two charges when her trial starts in the Denpasar District Court.

The primary charge against Leslie, under article 59 of the psikotropika drug law, carries a maximum 15-year sentence for drug possession and the subsidiary or secondary charge, under article 60, carries a maximum three-year sentence for handing over or receiving drugs such as ecstasy and only a three-month maximum term for those who are users.

Leslie has made a second police statement clarifying and changing aspects of her first statement in which she told police she had been taking ecstasy for a year and could not enjoy a party without it and that the two pills were to be consumed by herself and her girlfriend that evening at the party.

In the second statement, dated August 31, Leslie says she needs to change and add some answers from her original statement.

She says that rather than consuming ecstasy before travelling to the Bali party where she was arrested, as she had originally told police, she had actually consumed the medicine from her doctor in Australia.

And Leslie says that rather than feeling addicted to ecstasy and that she cannot enjoy a party, as she had originally told police, it was the medicine she needed to stave off her feelings of nervousness at parties,

Leslie also says it was her friend Mia, a fellow model, who had entrusted the two pink pills wrapped in white tissue to her for safekeeping in her handbag.

This is supported by the statement of another model, Nicole Lindeblad and her boyfriend, who both say they saw Mia entrusting the white tissue to Leslie.

Leslie was arrested on August 20 this year with the pills in her handbag during a police drugs sweep of patrons entering a party.

Invisibleveggie

Long jail term call dropped for model [Re: veggie]
    #4925996 - 11/12/05 04:31 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Long jail term call dropped for model
November 12, 2005 - thecouriermail.news.com.au

FREEDOM could be just around the corner for Australian model Michelle Leslie, after Indonesian prosecutors dropped demands that she face a long prison term.

The surprise turnaround came after Leslie yesterday apologised and pleaded for mercy at her Bali drugs trial, which was told that she had admitted occasionally taking ecstasy.

After Leslie's remorseful testimony, state lawyers said they would now seek a minimum sentence of three months – a period she has almost served since her arrest outside a Bali dance party on August 20.

Originally they had demanded she be locked up for the maximum term of 15 years for possession of two ecstasy tablets.

The trial resumes at the Denpasar District Court on Tuesday, and Leslie could be freed soon after that.

"The ecstasy wasn't consumed," chief prosecutor Risman Tarihoran said.

"She is only a user. She only received the drugs."

Speaking from the witness chair, Leslie said she had not known that the two pills in her handbag on the night of her arrest were ecstasy.

She said the pills had been given to her by a friend named Mia who had told her they were medicine for anxiety attacks.

The 24-year-old said she had been stunned when police opened her Gucci handbag and found that the two pink tablets wrapped in tissue paper were the party drug.

Leslie told the three-judge bench she was "very disappointed" that her friend of two years Mia and several others who had been in her car had not shown up to help defend her.

"I'd like to apologise very much to the people of Indonesia for giving a problem in their country, because that was never my intention," Leslie said.

"I'd like to ask for mercy and justice from the court."

Bali psychiatrist Denny Thong separately told the court Leslie had turned to ecstasy to ease anxiety and stress.

The stress had stemmed from a fallout with her parents, particularly her Filipina mother.

"Michelle and her mother have different cultural backgrounds," Dr Thong said.

"She and her mother were always clashing over how she should behave. The peak was when she was 15. They had a big fight. Her mother ordered her from the house, she left and never came back.

"After that Michelle was very often attacked by overwhelming anxiety. Finally she tried to find her way out herself, and six years ago became an occasional ecstasy user."

But Dr Thong said the drug had been only a temporary relief.

"If she is sent to prison her path could get worse," he warned.

Leslie said she had sought help 18 months ago from Victorian doctor Peter Lewis, who prescribed Ritalin, used sometimes to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The model said she had arrived in Bali with her supply of medicine running low and without a prescription from her Australian doctor.

Asked if she had checked the contents of the tissue given to her, the Adelaide-born model said she had not. She said she had been "shocked and scared" when police confronted her with the drugs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service