Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
The Daybreakers - "Psychedelic Siren" (mp3)
    #4401282 - 07/13/05 09:24 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I can't tell whether Psychedelic Siren is about a guy who is feeling out of step with the times (the late 60's) or if it's a story about a guy who is hearing actual psychedelic siren calls. Either way, it's a good song and the lyrics that I can understand are pretty funny. It's funny the way he describes not having done weed or psychedelics, but my favorite part is his reference to the great banana hoax. As some of you know, for a short time in the late sixties a rumor began circulating that one could get psychedelic effects from smoking dried banana peels. This hoax is very fascinating to me because it's completely and utterly untrue, but yet it somehow made it's way across the world and into quite a few songs recorded at the time before everyone figured out that it wasn't true. How that happened, I'll never know. I put a star beside the banana reference. Check out the lyrics...........

"I don't go in for crazy stuff
I don't pretend I'm hip
I don't smoke leaves or greens
I never took a trip
Bananas just a fruit to me the peels thrown on the ground *
But something's screamin' deep in me and I (inaudible)

There's a psychedelic siren wailin in the night
Psychedelic siren
It's 3(3),2(2), (inaudible)

Well there's a long haired girl I'm dancin' with, the lights are turnin' blue
She smiles at me, I smile at her I know she hears it too

There's a psychedelic siren wailin in the night
Psychedelic siren
It's 3(3),2(2), (in audible)

Psychedelic siren
Psychedelic siren
Psychedelic siren!"

Now I'll copy and paste what Borderline Books has to say about this and link the song. Enjoy and discuss............

The Daybreakers

Personnel incl:
MAX COLLINS ld vcls, keyb'ds

1 Psychedelic Siren/Afterthoughts (Dial 4066) 1967

Hailing from Iowa City this band underwent frequent personnel changes but featured the personnel listed above at various times. They recorded just the one 45 at the time. The 'A' side features a screeching siren intro, and backing distinguishes what was otherwise a routine psychedelic/punk single. An LP of their material has subsequently been put out on Unlimited Productions Rock 'n' Roll label (RRRLP-0002). The group later became Rox in 1969 but folded in 1971. After a five year lay- off they re-emerged as Cruisin'(1976-79).

Compilation appearances have included: Psychedelic Siren on Psychedelic Microdots Of The Sixties, Vol. 1 (CD), Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol's 1 & 2 (LP), Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol. 1 (Dble 7") and I Turned Into A Helium Balloon (CD). Dirty Water - The History Of Eastern Iowa Rock Volume 2 (LP) also includes a live rendition of Respect from 1988.

The Daybreakers - Psychedelic Siren
3.18mb / 2:18

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Edited by Learyfan (04/01/08 04:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub