Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when...
    #4399299 -

...when you remember a time when no one had to put numbers in their nicknames...because there were still so many names not being used.


Anything else?

Oh!


If "gopher" means something other than "animal" to you...you know you're an Internet Oldtimer :smirk:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399312 -

Heh, gopher...ahhh sweet text.


I remember my 2400 baud modem like it was yesterday!


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399317 -

Haha! Yeah I remember my first 2400 baud modem, too!

The speed was BLAZING! :lol:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399318 -

My dad got us AOL right when they went from being a regional company around Virginia to advertising around the country. Man, those were the days. I even remember my first internet friend, her name was Shari and her screenname was MoRAM22.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399324 -

I used to trade DOS games on a dialup BBS using my "Zenith Data Machine."

My first AOL screen name was five letters and no numbers.  It was AOL 1.0.

"warez" and pirated software used to be hosted on free websites- because NOTHING was bigger than 5MB.

Credit card fraud was rampant because there was no way to validate the info.

You could whistle commands to your modem via your house phone on the same line.

Good ol' days.  :grin:


--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399330 -

You know that AOL started out as a BBS?


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #4399331 -

I still use my original screen name from AOL 2.1.X.


--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399332 -

I remember paying for access to, and then using for about 69 hours straight (for downloads) the TOTSE dial-in BBS back in the dizay.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399338 -

Nope I didn't trendal...I used to use a program called GEnie that was all text and no graphics at all before I ever used AOL.  I remember it so clearly, they had awesome games you could play, text-based RPG's and trivia games...I just hung out in the music rooms to be cool like my sisters. :smirk:


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399356 -

Yeah a GOOD number of the early ISP's all started out as local BBS systems. As the technology to link networks of BBSs together got off the ground, it became possible to link your BBS to the Internet.

People started paying to use these BBSs, at first FOR the BBS but later increasingly for the INTERNET that was available ON the BBS. Eventually a lot of these decided to scrap the BBS part of their business and just give out dialup Internet access. Thus the local-ISP was born!


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399360 -

And the Shroomery is keeping the BBS tradition alive, in a psychedelic fashion.


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399364 -

Exactly!

First we had the BBS. Then BBS with net access. Then we just had net access. Now we have internet with BBS access.

It all comes full-circle :wink:


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399390 -

Next up...telepathy!


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399396 -

And then, BBS via telepathy! :grin:

Imagine "running" something like a BBS from your own brain!


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399401 -

I think I just had a near-aneurysm trying to process that...I'm not ready!


--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #4399405 -

Before we have telepathy, we'll need the telepathic equivalent of
routers and dedicated servers.

i.e. dishes of cloned neurons stacked twelve high, or in a honeycomb
configuration, connected to a high-power version of our own implanted
neural antenna.

Somebody call William Gibson!


--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399407 -

Definitely, I remember downloading game patches that were less than a 1mb, and it taking over 30 minutes, and I thought it was pretty quick. Technology is scary.


McKennaDMT


--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #4399412 -

I remember getting my first isp. Netcomplete in 93. My first modem was a 14.4k external texas instrument modem.

man those were the days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399423 -

...when your ICQ number only has 7 digits.

...when you still use ICQ. :smirk:

Or maybe that's more like an 'internet old fogey'.

"DAMN KIDS, GET OFF MY PORTS!" :grin:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: You know you're an Internet Oldtimer when... [Re: trendal]
    #4399432 -

I'm not an old timer... but definately middle ager....

I still have my first AOL screenname, lets see here, I was in 6th grade that would make it nine years ago. I dont have ICQ anymore, but I had a five digit number.
Me and my buddy played Duke Nukem 3d over modem.

We hadn;t figured out how to turn off call waiting yet... and as you may know if someone calls you get kicked off. It still remains that way I think. My friends babysitter was calling every ten minutes and I cussed her out. She came and bitched at my mom, and my mom flipped her off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Programs to totally delete internet history??? splifftoter 1,926 10 07/14/04 08:28 PM
by OldSpice
* Hiding Internet Porn from GF
( 1 2 all )
iloveraving 7,824 37 12/26/03 06:41 PM
by Its Pat
* Do you have an iPod? - check out Anapod Explorer kaniz 1,282 17 12/31/05 12:58 PM
by browndustin
* How Fast Is Your Internet Connection? A Test.
( 1 2 3 all )
Snaggletooth 5,324 55 03/19/06 08:49 AM
by niteowl
* Internet Stalker Nuggetpouch 1,968 16 01/26/06 03:17 PM
by Jim
* The shroomery crashes my internet DistortedEyes 722 8 10/28/05 01:39 PM
by drtyfrnk
* My new internet job : ) Possible way to invest some of those funds recieved from this hobby
( 1 2 all )
xburn 1,898 23 12/04/05 11:07 PM
by trendal
* I despise algebraic long division. Cepheus 1,096 12 05/08/07 08:44 PM
by DrCamacho89

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
6,614 topic views. 9 members, 6 guests and 203 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.