Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet
    #4381808 - 07/08/05 12:12 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This guy is fucking awesome.
I saw him at Bonnaroo before the Mars Volta for the first time... man I was I blown away.  :eek:

He has some of the most truthful, direct messages I've ever heard from an artist.

You guys gotta go to his site HERE and preview his new album. He is the fucking shit.

Check out song #4: "Act III Scene 2 (shakespeare)"
Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine raps with him in it.

Here are the lyrics:

"This is a call out to all the youth in the ghettos, suburbs, villages, townships. To all the kids who download this song for free. By any means. To all the kids short on loot but high on dreams. To all the kids watching T.V., like, "Yo, I wish that was me." And all the kids pressing rewind on Let's Get Free. I hear you. To all the people within the sound of my voice.

Spit for the hated, the reviled, the unrefined, the no ones, the nobodies, the last in line.
Spit for the hated, the reviled, the unrefined, the no ones, the nobodies, the last in line.

I didn't vote for this state of affairs. My emotional state's got me prostrate, fearing my fears. In all reality I'm under prepared. 'Cause I'm ready for war but not sure if I'm ready to care. And that's why I'm under prepared. 'Cause I'm ready to fight, but most fights have me fighting back tears. 'Cause the truth is really I'm scared. Not scared of the truth, but just scared of the length you'll go to fight it. I tried to hold my tongue, son. I tried to bite it. I'm not trying to start a riot or incite it. 'Cause Brutus is an honorable man. It's just coincidence that oil men would wage war on an oil rich land. And this one goes out to my man, taking cover in the trenches with a gun in his hand, then gets home and no one flinches when he can't feed his fam. But Brutus is an honorable man.

If you have tears prepare to shed them now. For you share the guilt of blood spilt in accordance with the Dow Jones. Dow drops fresh crop skull and bones. A machete in the heady: Hutu, Tutsi, Leone. An Afghani in a shanty. Doodle dandy yank on! An Iraqi in Gap khaki. Coca Coma come on! Be ye bishop or pawn, in the streets or the lawn, you should know that these example could go on and on and what since does it make to keep your ears to the street? As long as oils in the soil, truth is never concrete. So we dare to represent those with the barest of feet. 'Cause the laws to which we're loyal keep the soil deplete. It's our job to not let history repeat.

So here's the plan. The ides of march are always at hand. And when the power hungry strike, they strike the poorest of man. And if you dare put up a fight, they'll come and fight for your land. And they'll call it liberation or salvation. A call to the youth! Your freedom ain't so free, it's just loose. but the power of your voice could redirect every truth. Shift and shape the world you want and keep your fears in a noose. Let them dangle from a banner star spangled. I'm willing and able. To lift my dreams up out of their cradle. Nurse and nurture my ideals 'til they're much more than a fable. I can be all I can be and do much more than I'm paid to. And I won't be a slave to what authorities say do. My desire is to live within a nation on fire, where creative passions burn and raise the stakes ever higher. Where no person is addicted top some twisted supplier who promotes the sort of freedom sold to the highest buyer. We demand a truth naturally at one with the land, not a plant that photosynthesizes bombs on demand, or a search for any weapons we let fall from our hands. I got beats and a plan. I'm gonna do what I can. And what you do is question everything they say do, every goal ideal or value they keep pushing on you. If they ask you to believe it question whether it's true. If they ask you to achieve, is it for them or for you. You're the one they're asking to go carry a gun. Warfare ain't humanitarian. You're scaring me, son. Why not fight to feed the homeless, jobless, fight inflation?! Why not fight for our own healthcare and our education?! And instead, invest in that erasable lead, 'cause their twisted propaganda can't erase all the dead. And the pile of corpses pyramid on top of our heads. Or nevermind, said the shotgun to the head.
"

FUCKING AWESOME, and I am by no means a fan of rap.

Did anyone else catch his set at Roo??

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Edited by Adamist (07/08/05 12:18 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: Adamist]
    #4382254 - 07/08/05 02:21 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Here's the lyrics to another awesome song called "telegram".
Notice the part concerning magic mushrooms. :wink:

"I'm falling up flights of stairs, scraping myself from the sidewalk, jumping from rivers to bridges, drowning in pure air. Hip Hop is lying on the side of the road, half dead to itself. Blood scrawled over its mangled flesh, like jazz, stuffed into an oversized record bag. Tuba lips swollen beyond recognition. Diamond studded teeth strewn like rice at karma's wedding. The ring bearer bore bad news. Minister of information wrote the wrong proclamation. Now everyone's singing the wrong song. Dissonant chords find necks like nooses. That nigga kicked the chair from under my feet. Harlem shaking from a rope, but still on beat. "Damn that loop is tight." Nigga, found a way to sample the way the truth the light. Can't wait to play myself at the party tonight. Niggas are gonna die. Cop car swerves to the side of the road. Hip Hop takes its last breath. The cop scrawls vernacular manslaughter onto a yellow pad, then balls the paper into his hand, deciding he'd rather free-style. "You have the right to remain silent." You have the right to remain silent. You have the right to remain silent. And maybe you should have before your bullshit manifested.

These thugs can't fuck with me, they're too thugged out. Niggas think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out. This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black. So where my aliens at? Girl, we're all illegal. This system ain't for us. It's for rich people. And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money. But you can't buy shit to not get hungry.

Telegram to Hip Hop: Dear Hip Hop .(stop). This shit has gone too far. (stop). Please see that mixer and turntables are returned to Kool Herc. (stop). The ghettos are dancing off beat. (stop). The master of ceremonies have forgotten that they were once slaves and have neglected the occasion of this ceremony. (stop). Perhaps we should not have encouraged them to use cordless microphones, for they have walked too far from the source and are emitting a lesser frequency (stop). Please inform all interested parties that cash nor murder have been added to the list of elements. (stop). We are discontinuing our current line of braggadocio, in light of the current trend in "realness". (stop). As an alternative, we will be confiscating weed supplies and replacing them with magic mushrooms, in hopes of helping niggas see beyond their reality. (stop). Give my regards to Brooklyn.

These thugs can't fuck with me, they're too thugged out. Niggas think I'm bugged out, 'cause I ain't Sean John or Lugged out. This ain't hip hop no more, son, it's bigger than that. This ain't ghetto no more, black, it's bigger than black. So where my aliens at? Girl, we're all illegal. This system ain't for us. It's for rich people. And you ain't rich, dawg, you just got money. But you can't buy shit to not get hungry.

These cats can't fuck with me. I purr purple. Sewed in crease. Toe shelled like a turtle. I walk the streets like the lie that I'm telling. One listener grips his knee and starts yelling (yeah, I see you). I see through speakers. I speak what's seen. I eat and shit. I sleep and dream. I walk the streets of London, like "No what I mean (funny British accent)", and chill in Wagamama's eating crisp soy beans. It's like that![/]"

--------------------

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #4382410 - 07/08/05 03:05 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah dude Saul Williams is amazing. He puts on a very good show, mix of songs and poetry.

"Said the Shotgun to the Head" is a really good poetry book

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: Blastrid]
    #4383904 - 07/08/05 02:37 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Unfortunately I got sooo spun I lost my way to the which who what where that this stage and made it back just in time for the volta. But damn that confused the hell outta me!

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4384356 - 07/08/05 05:11 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Check out Gil Scott Heron, and the song the Revolution will not be televised.

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
    #4393363 - 07/11/05 08:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

My only regret of this year's Bonnaroo is sleeping through Saul's set. I'll bet that shit was awesome!
I really like the song Om Nia Merican. And his guest slot on Blazing Arrow is so good: "...through meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum basslines in exhalation...
:peace:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: ToolTroll]
    #4394562 - 07/12/05 02:35 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I am really digging all of his stuff!!!

And the best thing is that I was introduced to him at Bonnaroo under the influence of LSD and MDMA. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
    #4394604 - 07/12/05 02:49 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

nice introduction then adamist,nice combo also :wink: :sun:
i'll check him out right now.

--------------------
lucidal expansion

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: butterflydawn]
    #4394613 - 07/12/05 02:52 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Favorite songs that standout right now are "Telegram", "Act III Scene 2 (shakespeare)", "LaLaLa", "Penny For a Thought", "Tao of Now", "Om Ni American", and "Wine".... :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
    #4394688 - 07/12/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

nice site design

--------------------
lucidal expansion

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in
Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: butterflydawn]
    #4403344 - 07/14/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

if you haven't already... check out his movie "slam" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139615/

first time i saw this movie i was awe struck! there's once scean that REALLY blew my mind (in prison when he's out in the yard and everyone's looking at him PAW he lets them have it all)

i'm glad to know he has another album out!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: Simisu]
    #4505564 - 08/07/05 01:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

'Said the Shotgun to the Head' is great. it clears your memory. y'know?
Even the fonts are expressive! and the lyrics are political/spiritual madness at it's best. Did you know that book is produced by MTV?!?!
M motherfuckin'TV!!!
Apparently their publishing company pics up pretty good
'up and comers' because I checked out another witty unpredictable book put out by them the other month! A mystery novel(!) by some sexy young sophisticate.

Saul Williams was also on the movie SLAM. (I think)
Anyone know who produced and /or directed that?

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: Elvish]
    #4505583 - 08/07/05 01:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

damn you beat me to the SLAm reference!
YEAH, I loved that scene too. like after he gets through rhymin' his friend is like "DAMn, I forgot what i was about to say." and walks off.
HAHA!

OfflineElvish
enthusiast
    #4505594 - 08/07/05 01:49 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

PS those first few quotes can't POSSIBLY be freestyle. unless he 'freestyles' so much certain phrases and turns of thought are second nature. It's just TOO DAMN GOOD to be off-the-top-of-the-head
type shit.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
    #4506648 - 08/07/05 12:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've been listening to his Amethyst Rock Star Album, it's so fucking good. Someone give this guy 1,000,000 so he can keep making albums like this.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: tomk]
    #4510367 - 08/08/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

so we can do ettechments eh?
so here's one of his poems: saul williams - 5 senses.mp3

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4510516 - 08/08/05 03:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

you have to attach it :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #4510532 - 08/08/05 03:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

simisu said:
if you haven't already... check out his movie "slam" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139615/

first time i saw this movie i was awe struck! there's once scean that REALLY blew my mind (in prison when he's out in the yard and everyone's looking at him PAW he lets them have it all)

i'm glad to know he has another album out!

That's a fantastic film, with one of the most poignant final images I've ever seen.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Re: Saul Williams - mad freestyle poet [Re: Shroomism]
    #4510563 - 08/08/05 03:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
you have to attach it :tongue:

i did!
i just don't know how to attach it *here* (it appears where the subject line is...)

--------------------

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

#4900019 - 11/06/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

well now we can attach even bigger files so i think this post could use a bump!

untimely maditations

The fiery sun of my passions evaporates the love lakes of my soul
clouds my thoughts and rains you into existence as i take flight on
bolts of lighting claiming chaos as my concubine and you as my me i of the storm you of the sea we of the moon land of the free what have i done to deserve this?
am i happy?
happiness is a mediocre sin set for a middle-class existence i see through smiles and smell truth in the distance beyond one dimensional smiles and laughter lies are hereafter
where tears echo laughter you'd have to do math to divide a smile by a tear times fear equals mere truth.
i simply delve in the air and if that's the case, all i have to breath and all else will follow, that's why drums
are hollow, and i like drums drums are good but i cant think straight i lack the attention span to meditate my attention spans galaxies here and now are immense seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
noosed by the strings of jimmy's guitar i swing
purple hazed pendulum hypnotizing the part of i that never dies, look
into my eyes are the windows of the soul. it's fried chicken collies and cornbread, its corn milk flour sour cream eggs and oil. its the stolen blood of the earth, used to make cars run and kill the fish. who me? i play scales. the scales of dead fish of oil slicked seas my sister blows wind through the hollows of fallen tress and we are the echoes of eternity, echoes of eternity, echoes of eternity maybe you heard of us, we do rebirths, revokes and resurrections we threw basement parties in pyramids, i left my tag on the wall, the beats would echo of the stone and solidify into the form of light bulbs, destined to light of the heads of future generations they're releasing it up in the form of ohm.
Maybe you heard of us. If not then you must be trying to hear us, in such cases we can't be heard we remain in the darkness unseen, in the
center of unpeeled bananas we exist uncolored by perception, clothed
to the naked eye, five senses cannot sense the fact of our existence
and that's the only fact, in fact there are no facts, fax me a fact and i'll telegram i'll hologram i'll telephone the son of man and tell him he is done. leave a message on his answering machine telling him there are none. god and i are one. times moon times star times sun, the factor is me, you remember me, i slung amethyst rocks on saturn blocks 'til i got caught up by earthling cops. they wanted me for their army or whatever. picture me, i swirl like the wind tempting tomorrow to be today, tiptoing the fine line between everything and everything else. i am simply saturn swirling sevenths through sooth the sole living air of air and I, and, and all else follows. reverberating the space inside of drum hollows. package and bottles and chips and tomorrow then sold to the highest nigga. i swing to the tallest tree, lynched by the lowest branches of me, praying that my physical will set me free cause i'm afraid that all else is vanity mere language is profanity, i'd rather hum or have my soul tattooed to my tongue and let the scriptures be sung in gibberish as words be simple fish in my soulquarium. and intellect
can't swim so i stopped combing my mind so my thoughts could lock.
i'm tired of trying to understand. perceptions are mangled matted and
knotted anyway. life is more than what meet the eye and I, so elevate I to the third and even that shit seems absurb and your thoughts leave you third (eye)solated. no man is an island but i often feel alone, so i find peace through
OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media