Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

Loc: Flag
Mushrooms poison father and son [NZ]
    #4246928 - 06/02/05 05:23 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Mushrooms poison father and son
June 2, 2005 - stuff.co.nz

A Te Aroha man faces a liver transplant and his three-year-old son is in Auckland's Starship Hospital after they ate deadly mushrooms.

The pair, understood to be recent arrivals from Vietnam, had picked death cap mushrooms to cook and eat at their home on Sunday.

Waikato Hospital gastroenterologist Tony Smith said the toddler would be "okay" but his father, aged in his mid-30s, needed a liver transplant.

He was in the critical care unit at Auckland Hospital after being transferred from Waikato Hospital on Tuesday.

Dunedin-based National Poison Centre toxicologist John Fountain, who helped identify the deadly mushroom, said it was toxic to the liver and probably the most poisonous mushroom in New Zealand.

The death cap mushroom - which can resemble a puffball in its early stages - was small and brown with a green or brown cap and white gills. It was often found growing close to introduced species of trees such as oaks.

"Obviously the father just did not realise that he had picked a poisonous mushroom," Dr Fountain said.

"I think the take-home message from this is that people really shouldn't go fossicking for mushrooms unless they are very, very good at identifying the particular mushrooms they have picked."

Just one mushroom cap would be enough to cause liver failure in an adult, while one bite could do the same to a child. It could also seriously damage the kidneys.

Dr Fountain said there were one or two cases of death cap poisoning every few years. He had yet to hear of a fatality.

The death cap had a similar appearance to edible fungi found in other countries, he said.

Landcare Research mycologist (mushroom expert) Peter Johnston said when the death cap was young it was easily confused with a puffball, which some people ate.

"Very difficult to tell them apart... you have got to know what you are eating," he said.

Toxins in death caps stopped human cell division, meaning organs which formed new cells, such as the liver, stopped working, Dr Johnston said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: Mushrooms poison father and son [NZ] [Re: veggie]
    #4247507 - 06/02/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

:frown:

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Mushrooms poison father and son [NZ] [Re: gdman]
    #4247615 - 06/02/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

gdman said:
:frown:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Mushrooms poison father and son [NZ] [Re: veggie]
    #4248598 - 06/02/05 04:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

bummer

OfflineLiveByFreedom
Catalyst
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: Mushrooms poison father and son [NZ] [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4249078 - 06/02/05 06:30 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Hope it turns out for the best for them. Wonder if any of those deadly mushrooms taste good...

--------------------
"Everything is not as it seems." Eye

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: veggie]
    #4274538 - 06/09/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10328892

Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant
03.06.05 1.00pm

A Te Aroha man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs a liver transplant within the next few weeks or he will die.

The man, understood to be Vietnamese, cooked and ate death cap mushrooms from his back garden with his three-year-old son and fell ill on Sunday.

Thought to be one of New Zealand?s most poisonous mushrooms, the fungi?s toxins stop cell division, causing the parts of the body which form new cells, such as the liver, to stop.

The man, aged in his mid-30s, is now at Auckland Hospital in the critical care unit.

Waikato Hospital gastroenterologist Tony Smith said yesterday that the toddler would be "okay" but his father, aged in his mid-30s, needed a liver transplant.

Liver transplant co-ordinator from the New Zealand Liver Transplant Unit in Auckland Hospital, Margaret Johnston, said today it averaged three transplants a year for patients with acute cases of liver failure.

Ms Johnston said patients awaiting transplant were normally kept on a ventilator machine in critical care at Auckland Hospital and were often unconscious.

There were no treatments such as dialysis for kidney failure and patients received "as good medical management as possible".

Depending on their blood group and availability of organs, patients could wait a couple of days or weeks.

New Zealand has an agreement with Australia where the first suitable liver is offered to acute patients.

Vietnamese Friendship Association vice-president Manh Bui-Van said he thought all immigrants should have some sort of orientation programme, similar to what refugees received.

Vietnamese used mushrooms for salads and stirfries and they needed to be told that some mushrooms and herbs were unsafe to eat, he said.

New Zealand Chinese Association, Waikato branch president Sid Lim said there needed to be more awareness that eating some mushrooms wasn?t safe.

Invisibleveggie

Re: Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: Anno]
    #4280121 - 06/10/05 03:24 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Man poisoned by mushrooms recovering after liver transplant
June 11, 2005 - web page

A Waikato man who was near death after eating one of the most toxic mushrooms in New Zealand is recovering in Auckland Hospital after receiving a liver transplant.

A hospital spokeswoman said the Te Aroha man had been moved out of critical care to a ward and was showing "signs of progress" after the operation.

His three-year-old son was discharged from Starship Hospital on Saturday after making a full recovery.

The pair were hospitalised last month after they cooked and ate Death Cap mushrooms they had picked in their Te Aroha back yard.

The man - understood to be a recent arrival from Vietnam - needed a liver transplant within days or he would have died from acute liver failure.

Dr Stephen Munn, hospital director of the Liver Transplant Programme at Auckland Hospital, said 60 per cent of patients with acute liver failure received a transplant in time. Recipients usually had just three days to live from the time they were listed for transplant.

"We try and use livers on the very best prospects for transplantation," he said.

Receiving a liver transplant was like getting a new engine and the body could recover quite quickly, Dr Munn said.

Recovery time depended on a patient's health before they received the transplant.

Most livers used for transplants came from patients who had been declared brain dead but they could also come from live donors.

Dr Munn said livers could regenerate quickly and if a live donor donated half their liver, it would grow back in six weeks.

The prognosis for the Te Aroha man was good, with more than 90 per cent of transplant recipients living more than a year and more than 80 per cent lasting more than five years.

"Their lifespan from here is good and although it is too early after the first successful liver transplants to tell what recipients' potential life span is, people have lived for 30 years."

However, they would need to take anti-rejection medication for the rest of their lives.

The death cap mushroom was one of the most poisonous fungi found in New Zealand.

Its toxins stop cells dividing by shutting down body parts - such as the liver - from working properly.

The death cap mushroom, which can resemble a puffball in its early stages, is small and brown with a greenish or brownish cap and white gills. Mushrooms have pink gills that turn brown as they grow.

They are often found growing close to introduced species of trees such as oaks.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: veggie]
    #4280576 - 06/10/05 05:32 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

small and brown with a greenish or brownish cap and white gills. Mushrooms have pink gills that turn brown as they grow.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Loc: America
Re: Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: Anno]
    #17980447 - 03/19/13 07:14 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I do not know if this is common knowledge but Alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant which is available over the counter.  This supplement can be used to stop the damage and save a person that has been poisoned by  mushrooms.  This very important information that is all too often overlooked by the medical establishment. Many doctors will stand back and watch you die or wait until you can only be saved by a liver transplant.  If I was into mushroom hunting I would have this supplement on hand as the sooner one starts taking it the better the outcome.  There is a doctor in Las Cruces NM that pioneered the use of alpha lipoic in treating liver failure from mushroom poisoning.  His name is Dr. Burke. 
As a side note this supplement can kill pancreatic cancer (depending on cell type (adenocaremoma, if I recall correctly ))  This is the 4th most comon cancer in the USA.  So someone you know will probably be facing this at some point.  Please let them know about alpha lipoic acid, it might save their life. 
Check Dr Burke's story, it really is amazing that he has been so villifed.
I am still on this plane because of the internet, alpha lipoic acid and Dr. B.
Pass it on!

--------------------
You gotta do what you gotta do.  Sometimes you gotta munch cactus, some times you gotta munch carpet!

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
Re: Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: carpetmunch]
    #17980597 - 03/19/13 07:44 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Any word on whether this compound can address liver or lung cancer?  My wife is Stage IV right now so I am looking at a whole host of options...

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Loc: America
Re: Man who ate poisonous mushrooms needs liver transplant [Re: mpd]
    #17981113 - 03/19/13 09:36 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I would call Dr Burke in New Mexico and ask them. They may have experience with these other cancer types. It can be used in conjunction with traditional chemo.  Though most Onc docs will say not to( mine did).  But fuck them, it is not their life on the line. Double check with Dr. Burke even if they want you to pay a consult fee. And give them as much info about the cell type etc as you can.  I really hope you find it useful. 
Ps search the forum on shroomery for other things you should consider.  Turkey tail and other mushroom extracts.
Hope she feels better soon.

I wish you both the best of luck!

--------------------
You gotta do what you gotta do.  Sometimes you gotta munch cactus, some times you gotta munch carpet!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service