Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket
    #4170761 - 05/13/05 12:19 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

She was rushing her son to school. She was eight months pregnant. And she was about to get a speeding ticket she didn't think she deserved.

So when a Seattle police officer presented the ticket to Malaika Brooks, she refused to sign it. In the ensuing confrontation, she suffered burns from a police Taser, an electric stun device that delivers 50,000 volts.

"Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me," Brooks said, in describing that morning during her criminal trial last week on charges of refusing to obey an officer and resisting arrest.

She was found guilty of the first charge because she never signed the ticket, but the Seattle Municipal Court jury could not decide whether she resisted arrest, the reason the Taser was applied.

To her attorneys and critics of police use of Tasers, Brooks' case is an example of police overreaction.

"It's pretty extraordinary that they should have used a Taser in this case," said Lisa Daugaard, a public defender familiar with the case.

Law enforcement officers have said they see Tasers as a tool that can benefit the public by reducing injuries to police and the citizens they arrest.

Seattle police officials declined to comment on this case, citing concerns that Brooks might file a civil lawsuit.

But King County sheriff's Sgt. Donald Davis, who works on the county's Taser policy, said the use of force is a balancing act for law enforcement.

"It just doesn't look good to the public," he said.

Brooks' run-in with police Nov. 23 came six months before Seattle adopted a new policy on Taser use that guides officers on how to deal with pregnant women, the very young, the very old and the infirm. When used on such subjects, the policy states, "the need to stop the behavior should clearly justify the potential for additional risks."

"Obviously, (law enforcement agencies) don't want to use a Taser on young children, pregnant woman or elderly people," Davis said. "But if in your policy you deliberately exclude a segment of the population, then you have potentially closed off a tool that could have ended a confrontation."

Brooks was stopped in the 8300 block of Beacon Avenue South, just outside the African American Academy, while dropping her son off for school.

In a two-day trial that ended Friday, the officer involved, Officer Juan Ornelas, testified he clocked Brooks' Dodge Intrepid doing 32 mph in a 20-mph school zone.

He motioned her over and tried to write her a ticket, but she wouldn't sign it, even when he explained that signing it didn't mean she was admitting guilt.

Brooks, in her testimony, said she believed she could accept a ticket without signing for it, which she had done once before.

"I said, 'Well, I'll take the ticket, but I won't sign it,' " Brooks testified.

Officer Donald Jones joined Ornelas in trying to persuade Brooks to sign the ticket. They then called on their supervisor, Sgt. Steve Daman.

He authorized them to arrest her when she continued to refuse.

The officers testified they struggled to get Brooks out of her car but could not because she kept a grip on her steering wheel.

And that's when Jones brought out the Taser.

Brooks testified she didn't even know what it was when Jones showed it to her and pulled the trigger, allowing her to hear the crackle of 50,000 volts of electricity.

The officers testified that was meant as a final warning, as a way to demonstrate the device was painful and that Brooks should comply with their orders.

When she still did not exit her car, Jones applied the Taser.

In his testimony, the Taser officer said he pressed the prongs of the muzzle against Brooks' thigh to no effect. So he applied it twice to her exposed neck.

Afterward, he and the others testified, Ornelas pushed Brooks out of the car while Jones pulled.

She was taken to the ground, handcuffed and placed in a patrol car, the officers testified.

She told jurors the officer also used the device on her arm, and showed them a dark, brown burn to her thigh, a large, red welt on her arm and a lump on her neck, all marks she said came from the Taser application.

At the South Precinct, Seattle fire medics examined Brooks, confirmed she was pregnant and recommended she be evaluated at Harborview Medical Center.

Brooks said she was worried about the effect the trauma and the Taser might have on her baby, but she delivered a healthy girl Jan. 31.

Still, she said, she remains shocked that a simple traffic stop could result in her arrest.

"As police officers, they could have hurt me seriously. They could have hurt my unborn fetus," she said.

"All because of a traffic ticket. Is this what it's come down to?"

Davis said Tasers remain a valuable tool, and that situations like Brooks' are avoidable.

"I know the Taser is controversial in all these situations where it seems so egregious," he said. "Why use a Taser in a simple traffic stop? Well, the citizen has made it more of a problem. It's no longer a traffic stop. This is now a confrontation."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/223578_taser10.html

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Adamist]
    #4171922 - 05/13/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I don't agree with using the taser on her. But damn, woman! You were 12 mph over in a school zone. What a stupid bitch. She should have just shut her fucking yap, taken the ticket, and go along her merry way. In the end, she deserved what she brought on herself.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Adamist]
    #4172070 - 05/13/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

refusing to obey an officer and resisting arrest.

Nobody hates cops more than I do, but right or wrong, when a cop give you an order, you must comply. Sort it out later with the judge if you have to, but resisting arrest or disobeying a cop is just stupid; you will NEVER win.

So now this woman who could have gotten off with a speeding ticket instead has a taser burn, possible injury to her fetus, and two felony charges.

Yeah, she told those cops off good.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (05/13/05 06:05 PM)

OfflineHooty
Reality isRelative

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Diploid]
    #4184739 - 05/16/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nobody hates cops more than I do, but right or wrong, when a cop give you an order, you must comply

Altough I understand your logic, I don't think that "right or wrong" this is the proper mentality to have.

I'd make sure I got that cop's job and I'd wear it like a necklace.

--------------------

Without love in the dream
It will never come true

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Hooty]
    #4185569 - 05/17/05 07:26 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nobody hates cops more than I do, but right or wrong, when a cop give you an order, you must comply.

If a cop gave you an order to drop your pants and let him stick his nightstick into your asshole... you must comply?
The police state has produced such docile little sheep-citizens, spreading their furry cheeks without hesitation or question...

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4191638 - 05/18/05 03:34 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

This is fucked up! It does not make sense to force someone to sign a fucking speeding ticket. I once got a ticket mailed to me for running a red light and did not sign it. (camera) this is a stupid law.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4191713 - 05/18/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Adamist said:
Quote:

Nobody hates cops more than I do, but right or wrong, when a cop give you an order, you must comply.

If a cop gave you an order to drop your pants and let him stick his nightstick into your asshole... you must comply?
The police state has produced such docile little sheep-citizens, spreading their furry cheeks without hesitation or question...

And how are you any different? When's the last time a cop asked you to drop your pants and allow him to shove a nightstick up your ass? It's a pretty simple choice for most people: obey like everyone else, or disobey and face harsher consequences. Most people have families and other people dependant on their actions; such things come to mind when they confront authority.

It is most definitely harnessing our "civil liberties" but this is the result when you attempt to juggle justice and equality in a society which is hardly egalitarian.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #4192768 - 05/18/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

what a stupid bitch.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: TODAY]
    #4194378 - 05/19/05 06:59 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4202230 - 05/21/05 02:08 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

If a cop gave you an order to drop your pants

I meant a lawful order.

It does not make sense to force someone to sign a fucking speeding ticket.

Again, I'm not defending the cops, but our society, fucked up as it is, requires you to agree in advance to sign a lawfully written citation when you apply for your driver's license. This is not an admission of guilt, only an acknowledgment that you were given a citation. This is necessary so that as due process proceeds, it can be demonstrated that you were aware of having been issued a citation. Without your signature, you can refuse to pay the ticket or appear in court to challenge it by saying that you were unaware of any ticket. This is why your signature is required - so there is proof that you were aware of having been issued a citation.

When you apply for a driver's license, you agree to this. You have the option to not get a driver's licenses if you don't agree. When that woman refused to sign, the cop was obliged to enforce the law and we saw the result.

My point is that if a cop give you a lawful order and you refuse to comply, chances are you will only makes things worse for yourself. The cops hold all the cards and we're at their mercy, like it or not. A smart guy will swallow his pride and comply politely; you can sort things out afterward with a lawyer rather than force a confrontation with a cop that you will not win.

Again, I'm not on the cop's side, I'm just telling you the way it is.

Edited by Diploid (05/21/05 02:17 AM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Diploid]
    #4203586 - 05/21/05 01:26 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, yes I understand all of this.

But do you think it was NECESSARY to use a TASER on a woman who's 8 months pregnant?!? That's insanity.
America is one of the only countries where cops have such tools, it's one big fucking police state, and if you question it, you will be electroschocked into submission.

--------------------

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
    #4203658 - 05/21/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

the taser was a bit much, but the chick was resisting arrest. stupid.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4204579 - 05/21/05 07:42 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

She was resisting a ticket.
That's not even at the level of resisting arrest!
Ahhh this pisses me off. I despise the police.
They have never helped me, and maybe I'll change my tune when and if they do.
But until that day, they need to leave me the fuck alone.

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
    #4205001 - 05/21/05 10:01 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

I think its easier for people like myself to see the brutality of a device such as a taser because I live in a country where cops don't yield guns and tasers. I think it would add a shitload more fear into the equation if I was pulled over and I knew the human with the authority had weapons to seriously hurt me and fear is never a good thing.

'They Live' is a cool movie btw

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: faslimy]
    #4205209 - 05/21/05 11:18 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Fear is never a good thing!?!?
You fucking terrorist.

Fear keeps people in line, obeying the rules, like the sheeple they are!

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4209203 - 05/23/05 06:12 AM (18 years, 10 months ago)

> She was resisting a ticket. That's not even at the level of resisting arrest!

Wrong. She was arrested for refusing to sign a ticket... pretty stupid on her part. I am not surprised that everybody (for the most part) is going after the cop on this, but I don't think he did anything wrong. If anything, they lady knew she was pregnant and had more to worry about than herself... she should be ashamed of herself endangering her unborn child over something as stupid as a signature. It isn't as if she were admiting to guilt or anything... it isn't as if she was the only person in history asked to sign a ticket... and it isn't as if a speeding ticket is a big deal.

The cop warned her... the cop showed her what was going to happen... she could have ended it at any time, but she chose not to. What alternative did the cop have? I suppose he could have dragged her out of the car with force, tossed her to the ground, and sat on her while he handcuffed her? I am sure we would hear the outrage over that kind of treatment... so she got a little burn, big deal... the woman needs to grow up if she is going to be a parent.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: Seuss]
    #4210200 - 05/23/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

what alternative did the cop have?

IMHO using a taser gun on a pregnant women is little extreme.

Maybe he should have maced her first, and then beat her with a nightstick before he tasered her.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Police use Taser on pregnant woman for refusing to sign speeding ticket [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4210750 - 05/23/05 03:53 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
what alternative did the cop have?
IMHO using a taser gun on a pregnant women is little extreme.
Maybe he should have maced her first, and then beat her with a nightstick before he tasered her.

Yeah I guess I'd be OK with that..

:wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds