Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleveggie

Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust
    #3916016 - 03/14/05 01:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Santa Cruz Drug Bust Nets Unusual Find
March 14, 2005
theksbwchannel.com

Detectives Find Hashish, THC-Laced Food

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- Narcotics detectives made an unusual drug bust at a Santa Cruz home: The marijuana and hallucinogenic mushrooms were a routine find, but huge amounts of hashish and THC-laced food was a surprise.

"Usually we'll have marijuana and mushrooms, it's common for people to deal both of those," said Detective Sgt. Steve Carney of the Santa Cruz County Marijuana Enforcement Team. "Where they're actually making hash is unique."

Robert Dolivierra, 41, and Andrea Covarrubias, 24, were arrested last week and investigators confiscated 22 pounds of marijuana, 2 pounds of hallucinogenic mushrooms, 1 to 2 ounces of hash powder, 10 pounds of solid hash, 1 to 2 gallons of hash oil, 27 pot plants and $2,820.

Deputies also found butter, cheesecake, chocolate chip cookies, cookie dough and a nut ball, all laced with THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

Dolivierra was booked for investigation of possession of marijuana for sale, possession of hallucinogenic psilocybin mushrooms for sale, manufacturing hash and for a probation violation. Covarrubias was booked for investigation of possession of marijuana for sale and manufacturing hash.

The couple also had legitimate medical marijuana cards, Carney said.

"What they're doing, they're putting a bad mark on the folks who need (marijuana) for medical needs," Carney said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: veggie]
    #3916298 - 03/14/05 02:35 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

How in the fuck is it "unusual" to make hash when you're growing plants :rolleyes:

I hate how they always slant these things...  :frown:

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: delta9]
    #3916358 - 03/14/05 02:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I don't understand that one either. If I just harvested 50 plants, I'd probably have a large chunk of trim laying around. You can't just let that shit go to waste!

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #3917553 - 03/14/05 09:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You have got to be careful with hash. Some states have laws involving refinement and hash can get you in a lot more trouble then just herb.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: baraka]
    #3917642 - 03/14/05 09:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So can resin. They actually call resin a refined product.

Scoff I say, scoff!

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3917647 - 03/14/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

how long these people gonna be put away for?  this doesn't sound like a year in jail type of deal. :frown:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: TODAY]
    #3917664 - 03/14/05 09:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1) 22 pounds of marijuana
2) 2 pounds of mushrooms
3) 2 ounces of hash powder
4) 10 pounds of solid hash
5) 1 to 2 gallons of hash oil
6) 27 pot plants

Conclusion:
...They're screwed...

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: theocean06]
    #3917948 - 03/14/05 10:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

1-2 gallons of hash oil Hrmmm

That is soo much.

I really hope they where in the middle of extracting it in a solvent. I can only imagine how much a milk jug full of hash oil would weigh.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: theocean06]
    #3918741 - 03/15/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

anyone know of a website or something where you can read about drug crime sentences in your area? like from realy cases...how much in possession of X substance and how much time they got? seems like it should be public info.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

#3918861 - 03/15/05 01:27 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

erowid/freedom, aditionally, most every substance has a little "law" link; NORML has a state by state breakdown of marijuana laws.

--------------------
delta9

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3919043 - 03/15/05 02:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
how long these people gonna be put away for?

They will most likely be put away for 20+ years. The sad thing is that thieves and rapists will most likely be released before they are.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #3919966 - 03/15/05 09:05 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

A lot of the products were probably meant for a dispensary. At least I hope so...could be an interesting case if so.

--------------------

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: Organic]
    #3923246 - 03/15/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

They knew what they were getting into.

The laws are ridiculous, so be careful.

Invisibleveggie

#3924270 - 03/16/05 04:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

One thing I find interesting about this article, well besides from the THC laced cheesecake, is the statement by Detective Sgt. Steve Carney, "What they're doing, they're putting a bad mark on the folks who need (marijuana) for medical needs."

I think this shows a fairly open-minded and progressive attitude on the part of law enforcement. Unless I am reading more into it, he seems to be empathetic towards medical marijuana users, and differentiates between a "drug dealer" and a supplier to legal users.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

#3924350 - 03/16/05 05:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Whose to say they weren't also selling back to the cannabis club?

Whose to say they weren't selling to medical users?

Medical users in california are allowed to "supplement" from street dealers if they are a certain distance from a dispensiary. Perhaps they were doing a medical service.

What about the thousands who self medicate with marijuana without a prescription? Weren't they, too, getting medicine?

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
    #3924503 - 03/16/05 08:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

YEAH VEGGIE, ANSWER THAT!

"22 pounds of marijuana, 2 pounds of hallucinogenic mushrooms, 1 to 2 ounces of hash powder, 10 pounds of solid hash, 1 to 2 gallons of hash oil, 27 pot plants"

Maybe they were medical mushrooms too.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient

Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3924577 - 03/16/05 09:31 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

It's possible.

I'm in no way shape or form suggesting they weren't trying to make money in the illegal drug market, just that medical patients were probably benefiting from them, as well, which is part of how the system is supposed to work (via supplementing).

--------------------
delta9

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #3924802 - 03/16/05 11:17 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

If these folks were legitimately supporting the med community, and the judge is tolerant of that, they may get a landmark ruling that could benefit the community largely in the long run. I'm intrigued and am keeping an eye on this one

--------------------

Edited by Organic (03/17/05 09:43 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Unusual Find at Santa Cruz Drug Bust [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #3927995 - 03/16/05 11:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheHateCamel said:
YEAH VEGGIE, ANSWER THAT!

"22 pounds of marijuana, 2 pounds of hallucinogenic mushrooms, 1 to 2 ounces of hash powder, 10 pounds of solid hash, 1 to 2 gallons of hash oil, 27 pot plants"

Maybe they were medical mushrooms too.

Psilocybin mushrooms are being used to break the cycles of headaches for people who suffer from what's called cluster headaches.

There is also a study into possible beneficial effects of psilocybin for people who suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinebunnymarley
Stranger
    #8357549 - 05/03/08 02:26 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Hi everyone,

I was googling myself and I came across this post and I thought it was great. I really appreciate most of the support you all have for medical marijuana in our communities.

I am the Andrea Covarrubias that got busted and here is how the story ends.

First off, as you may know, the sentinel is very sensational and the cops didn't even know what they found. The fact is that the home was used primarily to provide medical marijuana to patients with recommendations. There was a breach in integrity and other medicinal plants/fungus fungus were brought into the house. That was a set up by the cops. I will get back to that later.
There was NOT 2 gallons of hash oil, it was actually 2 gallons of KOMBUCHA tea that I had been cultivating for a patient of mine with liver problems. It happened to be a big mistake on the part of the police. (imagine that?)The alleged hash oil was later tested and found to be NOT Hash. We also had medical grade butter that was being used for the patients I took care of. I was authorized ( and I have releases and testimonials from the patients themselves) to prove that I was providing care to 10 bonafide medical marijuana patients. With all that in mind, at the time I was in compliance with the Santa Cruz County medical marijuana guidelines for the number of patients I was caring for. Yes we are all tree hugger and are into recycling so we were trying to use the whole plant. We weren't rich and we weren't trying to be. We were merely coving our operating costs and that is covered by CA Senate Bill 420. We were informed of all the laws and even as you walked into the house there was a table set up with pamphlets and flyers and all sorts of material regarding the medical marijuana law and patients rights. Believe me all my patients, doctors, friends, and MM organizations were ready to come to bat for me in court if it ever got that far. After raiding the house law enforcement had all my patient records and contact information as well. It was all posted like it was supposed to be on the door to the grow room.

Before I go on I must give credit to our attorneys who I am forever greatful to and I owe my life to these PUBLIC DEFENDERS: Jesse Ruben, Charlie Stevens and Nikki Whitehead. Nikki Whitehead was brilliant in asking Jesse Ruben to step in on her behalf. She was so swamped with other cases, and I demanded a lot of attention because I was so involved, that there was not enough time to dedicate to all my requests. Charlie Stevens was literally the last attorney on the block for Robert. Those two men are Brilliant! Don't ever knock a Public Defender. I didn't pay one penny to these attorneys and they fought tooth and nail and made the Sheriff, Police, SC Marijuana Enforcement Taskforce, and the DA look silly. TWICE! I really don't mean to gloat but Jesse and Charlie are the SHIT and I couldn't be more blessed!

So what Happened?

Because medical marijuana is only a legal defense to being in possession of that controlled substance, a preliminary hearing put forth enough evidence to prosecute Robert and I on manufacturing, possession and sales charges.

So first we needed to prove to the courts that growing marijuana and making water hash, butter and food from the leaves was NOT the same as manufacturing a controlled substance like methamphetamine. That charge carries a sentence of up to 7 years. I think that most would agree that marijuana and meth are not the same, even remotely. Second we needed to have the prosecutors show their cards as to why they targeted my house. Third we needed to prove our MM defense. All in that order.

Our attorneys filed two motions at the same time. The first was to reduce the charge that hash, ganja food and butter are part of the cultivation of marijuana and second was to see the whole investigation leading up to the issuance of a search warrant.

One lovely afternoon in Santa Cruz after months of the DA and our attorneys filing motions to change the sentence and suppress the evidence on faulty grounds, the judge heard our arguments. First the butter and hash was dropped to cultivation. YAY!

Second, the DA, sheriff and police departments revealed that there was no in depth investigation done on me and my house. There was also a RAT that knew that Robert was staying with me from time to time. That RAT, whom I believe has the initials D.L., was up on more drug charges and in order to get off made a deal with the cops to turn someone in. That person who he knows is Robert. Robert happened to be at the house for a few days. I don't know if you know, but I know now that judges don't like RATS. Nobody likes RATS! And judges don't like to have a case in front of them that involves a RAT and no real back up investigation by the cops. I believe the judge had some mercy on us because we are not RATS and we were willing to take this to trial by a jury of our peers and have them decide rather than cut a deal with the DA. So in essence the investigation involved a RAT saying that there was drug dealing going on at a house that had a for sale sign in front. The cops pretty much drove by said, "yep, that there is the house and there are people living in it and somebody said there were drugs in it". And the judged called bullshit! I mean yes, there was medical marijuana in the house within the guidelines of the law. But no way did the judge allow for such laziness on the part of law enforcement!

The ruling was ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE.

Wait it gets better!

Our attorneys motioned for the charges to be dropped and the first judge did in the interest of justice. Well the DA's office was pissed. They were obviously not expecting such savvy public defenders to reveal so much. The DA didn't let it go just yet. Less than a week passed and the DA brought up the sames charges on Robert and I. At this point word got around the courthouse. The same judge arraigned us one more time and asked the DA why they were trying to prosecute us again and that he was going keep the same ruling as before: Dropped Charges! Well the DA had another trick up their sleeve. They were going to change judges on us. That got me a little nervous and I thought here we go again. Well Robert, our attorneys and I sat in front of yet another judge. This is a freaking miracle. The judged asked the prosecution why were they going to bring the case in front of him again and told them that it is a waste of time and he was going to uphold the same ruling as the previous judge. And again the motions were filed and argued. The same result: ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE. The nice thing about the last time was that the second judge openly scolded the DA, police dept., sheriff dept. and scmet. They didn't do their job, wasted time and money, used a RAT, and had nothing to back up anything. I was in shock that the judge would go so far as to do that in open court. Well, the DA left crying because she lost and Robert and I left the courthouse with a new lease on life.

I moved to Orange County for a couple of months with mom and I am now happily planted and growing in Santa Barbara, Ca. That whole incident resulted in many broken relationships between my family and friends but I am happy to report that time has healed wounds and judgments made by the uninformed. I still strongly believe in patient's rights to the best medication for their illness and I actively support the CA Medical Marijuana community.

Never Give Up The Fight!

Sincerely,

Andrea Covarrubias

feel free to contact me with questions or comments at:

andirealestate@gmail.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service