Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Island people vs. Continent people?
    #3677801 - 01/25/05 01:00 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while! Part of that reason is that I've been gone on business to Puerto Rico, where it's 80 degrees warmer than here in Iowa! I was wondering if we have any island people on the boards, or if any of you know people who live on small islands. Right now I live in the middle of North America, and being the huge continent that it is, I love being able to drive all over, and have it take days to reach either coast from where I live. While I was in PR, I could span the whole island and back in one working day and use under half a tank of gas. Does it bug island people that they can see everything the island has to offer in one week of heavy tourist action? I could spend a lifetime on the road and not see everything just in the US, let alone Canada or Mexico!

My favorite person is thinking of moving to the Marshall Islands, and to be close to him I'd have to move to Hawaii. Some of my friends have said that I'd go nuts on a small island, because I'd see all of it so quickly and then feel trapped. I also love snow and the varied and unpredictable weather of Iowa. Something is rewarding about bundling up and braving the elements!

Then there is the part about leaving almost everything I own behind. Can't take all my fish tanks or my nice car with me to Hawaii! I could put it in storage here, but that would end up costing a lot. My pale skin and blonde hair wouldn't last for a minute in that sun and seawater! I'm a diver, and I just know that I'd end up with nasty dreads in no time, not to mention super-cancer on my sunburned skin!

Any thoughts or experiences from the crowd out there? I'd love to hear what all you great people have to say :smile: I apologize for this long email, so for your efforts, here are some pics from my trip. Puerto Rico really is a neat little island, sunny and 80 degrees every day, with a slight chance of rain :wink:

Here is what the hilly/mountains of the central part of the island look like. Notice the mass of rain clouds!

This is one of the lush mangroves off of Gilligan's Island in the south, great for wading in and very beautiful!

Here's a really old and famous church in Ponce, the pearl of the south.

This is also in Ponce. It's a century-old wooden firehouse!

Here is the view of the sunset from Jobo's beach, which was a few minutes from my hotel in the Porta del Sol.

This is the last spillover of Coco Falls, one of the many beautiful waterfalls in El Yunque, the National Caribbean Rain forest!

Here is another pic of a babbling stream in the rain forest.

This is some of the crazy and colorful architecture of Old San Juan, definitely worth the visit!

And last but not least, the largest rum distillery in the world! I'm proud to say I got the whole yummy tour :wink:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3677846 - 01/25/05 01:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Wow! I'm a little jealous. Those are amazing pictures. Did you take any pictures of yourself? Sounds like fun, I'd love to visit someday.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineSoulSurfer
Killer of Giants
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3678095 - 01/25/05 02:10 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I live on Vancouver Island, in BC Canada, and Im moving at the end of the month to one of the smaller gulf islands. It's a different lifestyle, much more laid back and relaxed, and you are surrounded by nature which is great for me  :smile:

--------------------
:sunny: :sunny::sunny:

Invisibleflowstone
blustering

Loc: precious
    #3678140 - 01/25/05 02:17 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Islands have a lot to offer.. And once you explore it, take a boat to the next island!! I would much rather boat from island to island than drive state to state.
Great pics!! :thumbup:

--------------------
these long agonizing months without you...have been long and agonizing..
"War Doesn't Decide Who's Right... It Only Decides Who's Left."

Offlineinfamous
LeArnin ThARoPes
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of the moon
Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: SoulSurfer]
    #3678155 - 01/25/05 02:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i go to the virgin islands at least once a year and I would love to live there, I love being there even though most islands are under 10 miles long and wide,as far as living without a nice car,fish tanks and stuff, I guess its true that you can never experience anything without first letting go of it all. If I had the chance to move to an island id jump on it for sure. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
The land of the free on paper looks great!

here I stand head in hand turn my face to the wall

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #3678430 - 01/25/05 03:08 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I was born in puerto rico so i guess i cant say how living in a small island and not traveling is like cause it never even crossed my mind. i lived there for over 10 years and never even saw the whole island!only went to the west coast once.went to el yunque(did you slip?that place is slippery as hell!) and surrounding areas numerous times to go shroom hunting.i did island hop there are tons of islands to see but they are all pretty much the same.dont know about hawaii it might be differnt.travel is by boat youll never see it all :wink:

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #3678746 - 01/25/05 04:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I live on an island...i had to leave all my friends including a beautifull woman in the city i lived for the last 6 years, but i guess i got a hippy heart inside me,

i prefer the clean oxygen, the sunny beaches and the mad shroom-parties we throw on them in the summer...

Don't forget the outdoor beds and ethnobotanical garder...nature gives you so much more possibilities....on the other hand, life on a island can be boring , specially during the winter, but only if you don';t have any hobbys.

I 'm packed with hobbys so ...no problem electronic music composition, painting, gardening...i really don't have enough time for them all  :tongue:  I don't move around alot in the winter tho...its pointless, once you see the island a few times, you remember every part of it, which makes it boring....not if you change the way you look at the places tho...some shrooms could help i guess....

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #3682191 - 01/26/05 07:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Desiree said:
Wow! I'm a little jealous. Those are amazing pictures. Did you take any pictures of yourself? Sounds like fun, I'd love to visit someday.

I took all the pics myself with my trusty digi camera :wink: It's old, but it's been all over the place with me! I only regret that I have not a good image program on this computer, so all I could do was put them on the boards as I took them. You should totally visit someday, even if you don't speak spanish! It's beautiful!

:smile:

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: SoulSurfer]
    #3682197 - 01/26/05 07:50 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SoulSurfer said:
I live on Vancouver Island, in BC Canada, and Im moving at the end of the month to one of the smaller gulf islands. It's a different lifestyle, much more laid back and relaxed, and you are surrounded by nature which is great for me  :smile:

I love the laid back lifestyle (and of course the nature)! My main problem on this trip was that my partner is a hyper ADHD work-aholic, so she hated it there. Once we waited over an hour just to be served our food (which would never fly here in America!). I loved it :smile: You don't mind knowing every inch of a small island? It doesn't get old after a while? Then again it's Cananda, and everyone likes Canada! :smile:

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: flowstone]
    #3682200 - 01/26/05 07:52 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

flowstone said:
Islands have a lot to offer.. And once you explore it, take a boat to the next island!! I would much rather boat from island to island than drive state to state.
Great pics!! :thumbup:

Thanks! :smile: I bet islands have a lot to offer, even besides diving and great weather and flora! I'm a diver, and there isn't a lot of good diving to be had here in Iowa :frown: I would just go crazy if I was surrounded by reef!

How does boating from Island to Island work? Do they have daily ferries, or do I need to buy my own boat? I love boats :smile: Thanks for posting!

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: infamous]
    #3682209 - 01/26/05 07:57 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

infamous said:
i go to the virgin islands at least once a year and I would love to live there, I love being there even though most islands are under 10 miles long and wide,as far as living without a nice car,fish tanks and stuff, I guess its true that you can never experience anything without first letting go of it all. If I had the chance to move to an island id jump on it for sure. :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

It is true that I'd have to give up alot. Then there is the question of should I store it thinking I'll move back to the mainland in a few years, or sell it and just start over? I'm not exactly rich! I think it would be kind of liberating if I were to give up everything though. I'd have to take Harvey with me of course!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: buckwheat]
    #3682217 - 01/26/05 08:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mindcandy said:
I was born in puerto rico so i guess i cant say how living in a small island and not traveling is like cause it never even crossed my mind. i lived there for over 10 years and never even saw the whole island!only went to the west coast once.went to el yunque(did you slip?that place is slippery as hell!) and surrounding areas numerous times to go shroom hunting.i did island hop there are tons of islands to see but they are all pretty much the same.dont know about hawaii it might be differnt.travel is by boat youll never see it all :wink:

I've heard that alot from people who live on islands, that they have never seen the other side because it takes too long to drive there! That is just crazy to me, because when I drive I don't stop until I run out of gas- and then we fill up and switch drivers! I love driving :smile: :smile: :smile: Puerto Rico is so beautiful! My hotel was on the west side, so the one day I drove to El Yunque, we only got there about an hour before it closed! That sucked! We did get to see two falls and drive through the park a bit, and I made sure to wear a good pair of hiking boots and tread lightly so I wouldn't slip :wink: I'd really like to go back there again sometime!!! Maybe you can tell me where the good places to camp there are :wink:

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: Sterile]
    #3682227 - 01/26/05 08:06 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sterile said:
Don't forget the outdoor beds and ethnobotanical garder...nature gives you so much more possibilities....on the other hand, life on a island can be boring , specially during the winter, but only if you don';t have any hobbys.

Good for you, being strong enough to leave it all behind! I might come back to you for some strength later on if I need it :wink: The main reason I'd consider moving to Hawaii from here is to keep the man I love within flying distance of me, instead of 6,400 miles away!

I love plants and gardening, which I need to do mostly indoors in Iowa in the winter :wink: I'd love to get my hands on the flora of Hawaii!

I do have lots of hobbies, but I'm worried about getting bored with it all after a few years, just like you said. After I've seen all the reefs a few times, I might want to come back home to the snow...

May your hippie heart always thrive! :smile: :hippie:

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#3682334 - 01/26/05 09:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

On an island like hawaii. You might see it all and run around doing all it has to offer. But after the initial rush of something new. You will find a much much slower pace. Hawaiii is very spiritual and the power you will feel in the mountains erases time. The plants and animals there are so interesting and diverce I could imagine myself just emersing myself in there stories and lifes and just observing never ever being bored.

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3682344 - 01/26/05 09:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SHEIKofSHIITAKE said:
On an island like hawaii.  You might see it all and run around doing all it has to offer.  But after the initial rush of something new.  You will find a much much slower pace.  Hawaiii is very spiritual and the power you will feel in the mountains erases time.  The plants and animals there are so interesting and diverce I could imagine myself just emersing myself in there stories and lifes and just observing never ever being bored.

That puts a bit of a different perspective on things, thank you :smile:
I wouldn't be living on the 'tourist' side of the island anyway, and I love plants! Somehow the idea of being "trapped on an island" just kinda freaks me out since I've been living in the middle of a large continent for so long... Thank you though, I would love to be immersed in something as powerful as the nature there :sun:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3682411 - 01/26/05 09:35 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I lived In St. Tomas U.S.V.I. for 4 years, North shore Kauai Hi. for 2 years, grew up the burbs of Chicago and am now in Tampa Fl.

By nature I am an island girl through and through I LOVE island life, never would've left em if it weren't for wanting my daughter to be closer to family and have more day to day options while growing up. Island life is quite simple.

If you do it, go for Maui, its the best balance of everything with a great growing economy.

Funny you say you feel trapped on an island. I feel trapped surrounded by land. To live with wide vast ocean blue all around you is so calming and helps you keep perspective of how "small" you are in the big scheme of things, maybe that's why most island people are so casual chill.

It is a concern to think 5 times about if you feel trapped. Some would get what they called rock fever and had to get off the island rock. Usually a little vaca off did the trick.

I agree with those who said, there is more to explore in the islands then you realize, like neighboring islands, you'll never cover them all, hiking trails and the diving and snorkeling, one can really loose themselves in the natural beauty of the islands. That is a blessing to experience. I never knew AWE till I lived in them, so many jaw dropping stunning moments.

My materialistic self just faded away. Making friends in the islands is easy as so many are continental transplants, they have no family in them either and so people tend to bond quick and fast.

Islands are places where you run into soul groups of long lost friends. To get the call to Hawaii is something to be heeded. Special things are happening there and a lot of personal transformation takes place while there.

For any of you who just dream about it, quit dreaming and do it! It's as easy as moving from town to town or state to state. There are NO excuses. Living on an island is a very surreal experience, like living in a dream. The pace is slower, priorities are different as its about copping the best chill or action adventure for the day and people matter to one another more then material "stuff".

It's fun to run into people you know everywhere you go, a real sense of community is established that has been loosing ground in the rat race continental way of life. Islanders have a secret they all share and are always flashing each other that knowing grin, which says, "our life kicks ass here".

Tampa FL has been a decent compromise, but when my daughter goes off to college, my husband and I will be back in the islands for good.

DO IT, you won't regret it!

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3682425 - 01/26/05 09:40 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for your words of encouragement! As a diving watergirl, I know that I could spend the rest of my life exploring the reefs there, not the mention all the hiking the islands have to offer! I'm just a selfish person, and it would be hard to give up all my stuff here, not to mention all the parks here in America that I haven't hiked through yet! So many wonderful things to see all over!

If I moved, I'd be going by myself, so making friends quickly is encouraging. You have lived all over! If/when I finally make the move, I'll be coming back to you for more advice, thank you!

:heart: :sun: :heart: :sun: :heart: :sun: :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3682443 - 01/26/05 09:44 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Feel free to PM with questions. :heart: :sun:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineinfamous
LeArnin ThARoPes
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of the moon
Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3682469 - 01/26/05 09:54 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

true I couldnt leave me cat behind hes my best buddy, plus hed have to much fun chasing the hermit crabs and lizards.I love st.tomas its a very very cool place.

--------------------
The land of the free on paper looks great!

here I stand head in hand turn my face to the wall

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Island people vs. Continent people? [Re: infamous]
    #3682516 - 01/26/05 10:10 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

infamous said:
true I couldnt leave me cat behind hes my best buddy, plus hed have to much fun chasing the hermit crabs and lizards.I love st.tomas its a very very cool place.

Yup, my bunny would have to come with, although his thick coat is better suited to snow than sun, and he'd be scared to death of lizards and crabs!

Where on earth is St. Thomas? I want to look it up :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale