Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Flammulina velutipes
    #3545833 -

I found these in central washington this weekend (brrrr).  surprising to see any mushrooms at all growing over there now, much less run into an interesting species I've never found before just a few yards from mom's house :smile:. 

I think they are velvet foots/enokitake, I'm not interested in eating them but I might try cloning some if I make it back in time.  prints are white and they're growing from an old partly buried cherry stump.  caps are viscid when wet and get sticky as they dry.  never seen the species before besides the cultivated form and a few pictures, anyone familiar enough with them to say yay or nay?  pretty sure of the ID but other input is always good...




velvety?  I guess...









DH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: spores]
    #3546069 -

Cool find DH.

You got Flammulina velutipes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: spores]
    #3546254 -

They could be, although I don't see nearly as much velvet at the bases of the stem as I normally see. Your specimens (the stems) are also quite a bit stockier than the ones I normally find. On the other hand, Flammulina velutipes was recently split into 12 species, 4 of which seem to occur in North America. It is very possible that you're finding one of the ones I'm not.


Here are a list of features to verify (from Edible Mushrooms of North America, Bessette, et al):

Cap 1-2 inches wide, golden yellow to reddish yellow to reddish brown, palest at the edge of the cap, slimy to sticky.

Gills white to pale yellow, closely spaced, attached to the stalk.

Stalk yellow at top, brown to brownish black and velvety at base, no partial veil, ring or volva.

Found in clusters on logs, stumps, or dead trees.

Spore print white.



If you really want to get into the details, the folks who did the research splitting up the species were nice enough to put the results on the web for us at this page. Based on their keys, I'm usually finding Flammulina populicola.


Happy mushrooming!


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3546349 -

My friend from EIU has been doing fertility studies within the concept of Flammulina velutipes. He is working with Andrew Methven. My bio professor introduced me to the two of them but I haven't been able to meet them in person yet.

Those look like enoki to me. A white spore print will add certainty to that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3547266 -

thanks all.

they definitely fit that description TM. the velvet was very fine, should have left the stem bases on for the pics but I cut them off cause I didn't want dirt all over the shrooms. nice link.

spores are white for sure


DH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: spores]
    #3547914 -

Impressive as always DH, keep up the good photos an findings, your posts are always amusing and inspiring!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3551596 -

Nice find!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Flammulina velutipes [Re: spores]
    #3560894 -

cool find, thanks for sharing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Flammulina velutipes - Velvet Foot? nexus1946 2,649 9 10/20/10 01:33 PM
by Joie
* Velvet shank Flammulina velutipes id request. shenery 281 5 01/25/16 01:56 AM
by MadMuncher
* Are these Flammulina velutipes?
( 1 2 all )
elprawn 4,052 20 01/19/11 01:37 PM
by Bretdaniel
* Flammulina velutipes ? BubikolRamios 759 3 12/14/11 11:35 AM
by riverdweller
* Flammulina velutipes weiliiiiiii 1,371 10 11/24/08 09:23 PM
by cactu
* Flammulina Velutipes? Find from beginning of this year. *TUBARIA, NOT FLAMMULINA* *DELETED* Reblackah 453 5 07/12/17 04:07 PM
by Reblackah
* ID Request: Flammulina Velutipes? GeMiNeye 2,371 19 12/19/15 12:45 PM
by Mr Piggy
* Are these Flammulina velutipes? Bagels 700 16 04/23/17 01:06 AM
by Bagels

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,735 topic views. 0 members, 14 guests and 57 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.