Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 |
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: feevers] * 1
    #29498848 -

Check out bogleheads.org for a simple 3 fund portfolio. It doesn't get much easier than that.:leocheers:


--------------------
You have little control of the things you will regret in life
You do however have some control over the things you won't regret
:cookiemonster:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: feevers]
    #29500074 -

feevers said:
alienprincess47 said:
Man..can someone simplify this in lamen terms?

So should I put the money in a roth ira? What do I do exactly? Im really new to all this so I need it dumbed down, please :confused:



Definitely a Roth if you're not 401k eligible


The best motivation I heard was every dollar you put in now will on average double about 3x in 30 years. So if you max it out with 7500, you're essentially gifting 45k to your future self




Thank you. I was leaning on a Roth IRA and will probably go that route. I want to be in a position where I can live off the interest. I wonder if 600k would be enough..can anyone tell me about how much interest that would earn monthly?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: alienprincess47]
    #29500142 -

High-yield FDIC-insured savings accounts are the best option for "risk free" interest that remains liquid, paying around 4-4.2% currently.  Note that FDIC insurance limits are $250k per account, so with $600k, you'll have to spread it across multiple accounts for protection.

$600,000 in a high yield savings account will generate ~$2000~$2100 monthly, but that money will be subject to taxation as interest income.  Additionally, the yield will fluctuate over time due to market forces.


Important: A Roth IRA isn't a good vehicle if you're just planning to park money to "live off the interest", because a Roth IRA is generally designed to allow tax-free withdrawals on capital withdrawn only in retirement.  While you can withdraw up to the amount you have contributed without penalty at any time, any withdrawal of the earnings/growth portion of your account has to come out via a qualified distribution, or else you'll pay a penalty.  Qualified distributions occur once the Roth has been open for at least 5 years AND you're at least 59.5 years of age.  Roth IRA's are designed to sock away money for retirement, under the expectation that it will remain market exposed for decades and thus generate higher growth over longer periods of time, relative to risk free interest rates.


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: geokills]
    #29500216 -

Max out your Roth IRA, Roth 401K, and HSA each year.  You're welcome!

Lately I've been buying AMD and SOFI.  I took a small position in JOBY.

With all my proceeds from selling NOC, I put that money into AMD, SOFI, PLTR, META, ELF, NKE, and a few shares of JOBY.

For the most part, I'm looking to get more into growth stocks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Mickalopagus]
    #29500760 -

Mickalopagus said:
Hi there, can answer, but for better results, would like to know:

Do you have access to a work sponsored 401K? Does your work offer a match to your contributions, and if so, do you already contribute to that plan?




No to all the questions. I own property thus I am a landlord so I do not a job per se, but I kind of do.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: geokills]
    #29500765 -

geokills said:
High-yield FDIC-insured savings accounts are the best option for "risk free" interest that remains liquid, paying around 4-4.2% currently.  Note that FDIC insurance limits are $250k per account, so with $600k, you'll have to spread it across multiple accounts for protection.

$600,000 in a high yield savings account will generate ~$2000~$2100 monthly, but that money will be subject to taxation as interest income.  Additionally, the yield will fluctuate over time due to market forces.


Important: A Roth IRA isn't a good vehicle if you're just planning to park money to "live off the interest", because a Roth IRA is generally designed to allow tax-free withdrawals on capital withdrawn only in retirement.  While you can withdraw up to the amount you have contributed without penalty at any time, any withdrawal of the earnings/growth portion of your account has to come out via a qualified distribution, or else you'll pay a penalty.  Qualified distributions occur once the Roth has been open for at least 5 years AND you're at least 59.5 years of age.  Roth IRA's are designed to sock away money for retirement, under the expectation that it will remain market exposed for decades and thus generate higher growth over longer periods of time, relative to risk free interest rates.




Thabk you for this information. So if you were me what would you do if you were me?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: alienprincess47]
    #29501900 -

Not a question I can definitively answer amigo.  Everyone has different personal priorities, is at their own unique place in life (i.e. specific age and cost of living profile) and has a unique risk tolerance.

Because I am in my low 40's, have setup my life such that I have a reliable income that supports my basic cost of living, don't have debt and have considerable free time that I could use to find another avenue of employment for additional income if it ever became necessary; my investment risk tolerance has been extremely high.

This means that I tend to keep very little cash on hand and prefer to expose excess liquidity to market forces aggressively.  As a result, I have had periods in my life where I have lost 30% - 50% of my net worth due to market fluctuations.  Most folks won't be comfortable tolerating that type of draw down, and so that's why most folks might prefer spreading out their investible assets between some moderate market-exposed risk (S&P500 for example), while also keeping a chunk in high yielding savings accounts, bonds, precious metals or even cash.

The one thing I can confidently recommend, is to minimize long term exposure to plain old cash.  Cash invariably loses purchasing power, and given the current debt to GDP scenario not only in the US but practically every developed nation, the purchasing power of fiat currencies will continue to be debased over the foreseeable future.

When considering your investment profile, consider what your base income is and how sustainable that is to cover your cost of living.  Then consider how many years you have until retirement and/or whenever you expect to lose some or all of your base income.  The more time you have to bring in your base income, the more aggressive you can be in your investment exposure, because you'll have time to weather difficult market cycles as well as rebuild wealth through income generation.  Thus, the older you get (generally speaking), the less aggressive you tend to be on your investments as you don't want to lose a big chunk of your retirement funding when you're just about to need it.


--------------------

--------------------
┼ ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙·· ┼
...╬π╥ ╥π╬...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: geokills]
    #29502438 -

VOO and chill?


--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Loaded Shaman] * 1
    #29505085 -

I heard SPY was worth getting into


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: alienprincess47]
    #29505394 -

I'mma scurred, but I did pick up a few XOM and RTX today.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Baby_Hitler] * 1
    #29505602 -

the stag is starting to flation

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Gorlax]
    #29505672 -

Yes. Had to eat out last night after a 14 hour workday, and my once $11 poke bowl a few years ago is now $18, but my paycheck is pretty much the same from when it was $11 :sad:

Edit corrected: I heard a stat that the government has inflated the amount of total money available (M2 money supply) by 3566% since 1970 (600b to 22t), but 20% of that figure was due to printing and spending in the year 2020. Our national debt rose 9000% during that same period (398b to 36t)

I want my $11 poke bowl back!! :oldman:




--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Edited by Mickalopagus (03/04/26 09:33 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Mickalopagus] * 1
    #29506117 -

Yeah the pandemic era was a massively pivotal point in monetary policy. It doesn't seem like its possible to put the genie back in the bottle at this point. That new McDonalds burger the "Big Arch" is starting off at $11 and change...

If you are interested look up the 4th turning generational theory. It basically says civilizations move in 4 cycles, the 4th being the crisis error. 1st Turning (High: strong institutions, weak individualism), 2nd Turning (Awakening: spiritual/cultural upheaval against the established order), 3rd Turning (Unraveling: weakening institutions, rising individualism), and 4th Turning (Crisis: decisive upheaval that destroys and rebuilds institutional order) The last 4th turning was WW2 period and we started the 4th turning cycle around 2008 and its supposed to end in 2030. I'm not huge on these hypothetical frameworks but this one does give some insight into what is going on currently.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Gorlax]
    #29506301 -

Crisis error, or crisis era?

I watched a video on it and thought it was an interesting theory. The idea that we’re part of the crisis phase right now can be seen as either positive or negative. I guess it depends on someone’s personal experience, or maybe the average experience of a particular generation. This video mentioned 2028 as the predicted end of the crisis turning, so hopefully we’re almost there lol.

When you overlay that idea with the conversation above though, I’m not sure how the cycle could really repeat when the financial damage from this cycle already feels like it’s been done - or at least let out of the bottle. I wonder if the earlier cycles were simpler partly because the financial system itself was much simpler. The generations 160 years ago, and even 80 years ago, didn’t have the kind of globalized financial infrastructure we have today.

It’s hard for me to imagine things ever going back to “simple” again. For example, we probably can’t return to something like a gold standard. And it seems like the only realistic way the U.S. government could deal with its massive debt is by slowly inflating it away, essentially passing the cost on to the public over time. Otherwise what happens? Are we at $100 trillion in debt 5–10 years from now? Maybe we end up with both high inflation and high debt.

So I wonder how we transition back into a “first turning” with strong institutions and public trust when the dollar may have lost another 30-40% of its purchasing power by the end of this next cycle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Mickalopagus] * 1
    #29506553 -

I think the peak of the crisis hasn't been made yet so whatever 2020 was, was just a blip in the process, even though it was huge for everyday people.

You do make a good point though about things not being the same and that's something that actually crossed my mind about it as well. Comparing 2 different points of time is pretty hard given advancing technologies and stuff.

As for things going back to simpler times, idk its hard to say that ship has sailed because even today we are putting strong value on just 1oz of gold. The issue is that the banks would never want to return to that because then they can't easily inflate prices like they can printing dollars. Then that leads into the "new world order" thing with the centralized digital currencies... which I honestly still don't see the massive conspiracy there unless its just used purely to track people like some algorithm.

If any of this is accurate I'd say its good if you are prepared for whatever comes next, beginning of the end type stuff. Grass is greener on the other side.

keeping this all tied to stocks, if you remind yourself how crazy a period this is, it can help you understand how important it is to properly manage your risk profiles and understand this isn't a normal period to be casually investing. Gotta be on point and understand ur investing rules and follow ur system... these are the periods in markets where people get chewed up imo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Gorlax]
    #29507162 -

Why you cant see "phase 1" cycling back around again is bc we are edging at financial.and possibly empiric collapse.
Cycles stop
Headwinds takeover
Thats where the plebes get chewed up


--------------------
hmm...

"I'm naked and fearless... And my fear is naked."

"life isn't worth living without the threat of death"

"I got my plans in a ziploc bag, let's see how unproductive we can be"

"nobody lives their lives fully except for bull fighters"

My Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: ashfiken]
    #29513203 -

eh things looking pretty sketchy if they can't wrangle in this move in oil, eventually it flips from inflationary to a growth wrecking ball as demand destruction hits. Just saw $4.25/gal gasoline in Arizona which is the highest I've seen in a very long time. The interesting thing this time around is it doesn't seem like money is flowing directly into Gold/PM and of course bonds $TLT are selling off as well

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Gorlax] * 1
    #29525200 -

Picking up a little more SPXU and U.S. petroleum producers pretty much every day, now.

Also, some CF Industries Holdings, Inc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #29527393 -

Most of the time, as long as you're not day trading, you'll come out ahead lol.


--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: STOCKS - An Intro Tutorial & Ongoing Discussion [Re: Loaded Shaman]
    #29531275 -

I've got a little over half of my gambling money on US oil/fertilizer and SPXU. I'm hesitant to put too many eggs into too few baskets, tho. I also have some RTX, but for some reason defense stocks are going down since the Iran war started, which is confusing.

So now I'm thinking further out and considering alternative energy stocks as I think these will be longer term beneficiaries of recent events.

Also... China?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 305 | 306 | 307 | 308 | 309 | 310 | 311 | 312 | 313 | 314 | 315 | 316 | 317 | 318 | 319 | 320 | 321 | 322 | 323 | 324 | 325 |

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: geokills, automan
317,964 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.015 seconds on 16 queries.