Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
How does one do it...
    #2929037 - 07/26/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have to leave for work in 5 minutes, so I won't get a chance to comment further until I get off at midnight.

How does one continue to live, what I like to call, the "free" life.  A kind of do what you feel, live in the moment, kind of life?  For example, when you just get tired of a job and simply leave.  Or you simply just feel like going somewhere, so you go.  I have had this way of life for some time now.  I have walked away from jobs, I have randomly went places on an impulse(along with spend money on an impulse  :wink: ) and while this way of life has served me decently well, I'm getting the feeling like I can't do it forever.  I guess some would call it "growing up".  I want to meet so many people and go so many places.  When I travelled back home for the weekend, I met this one person who said he wasn't sure if he wanted to go to "point a" or "point b".  I found out that he had randomly just decided to go travelling.  Said he was going to be gone for about 6 months.  I'd give anything to do that, but things in this world cost money.

How does one just walk away from it all?  I have done it before, but it's getting harder to do.  I make very decent money, excellent job security and all that jazz, but I can't ever have enough time off to actually go travel anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I like the job, but I want so much more.  I want to meet people, see things...EXPERIENCE things.  If I dropped this job, my parents just could not understand.  If I drop this job, how do I make income to travel?

How does one do it?  I long to be one of these people on the road.  I'd love to "settle down" in MANY places in my life.  The only logical way that I see this happening is, to win the lottery  :tongue:

how does one do it...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

Re: How does one do it... [Re: Spooge]
    #2929049 - 07/26/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Save lots of money, make some good investments, and retire when you're 40. That's still young!

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: How does one do it... [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2929065 - 07/26/04 03:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

find a nice redwood make it a house grow weed and shrooms and food hike the the cloest town and sell your produce grow your own hemp to make your own clothes and build a wind powerd or water powerd generator so you can have the net to get the shroomery

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: How does one do it... [Re: onetime]
    #2929070 - 07/26/04 03:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

or buy google stock it was just made public 130$ a share i belive it will go up so high i belive when gmail is fully open plus every other search engine is weak in compareson

--------------------

See?
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: How does one do it... [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #2929084 - 07/26/04 03:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

some people are just ment to travel... they go from place to place, sometimes it takes them awhile to get there, usualy if someone is stuck for awhile, they'll hit up some local small buisness's to work for a few days, or hours, for food or cash, or something... spare change constantly, dumpster dive for food, hitch hike... thier's no set place to go, only a general idea, and say you decide to hitch hike to town X, and along the way, you stop in town Z, that's cool, cause you'll eventualy get to town X, and if you don't... oh well.

as for 'coming back' well, usualy thier is no set time on coming back, that's the thing, you just go, and you might come back, you might not, you could settle down in a spot for awhile, soak in the local culture, and take off again... a lot of rainbow family who does this usualy know's other family members, and they'll stay at thier pad for awhile, maybe do some work for them, or a real job, and move on to the next family member... ya never burn your bridges, and you always leave on a good note... thats just how it is.... some people have been doing this for 20 years, it's in thier blood....

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: How does one do it... [Re: Phychotron]
    #2929203 - 07/26/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i wish i had the balls to do that

--------------------

See?

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
    #2929252 - 07/26/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know dude, if your job is really good live off of it for a while and save a lot of money before you go quitting it... I've been working the same job, 3 years this winter. I now have a paid off car which is good on gas and I feel confident can go anywhere on this continent. I have some money saved now, and some ideas on how to make money on the road when I need to.

In a few months after I've been working there for 3 years I'm gonna give my two weeks notice. Hopefully there's no hitches in my plan like unplanned expenses. Otherwise, I'm leaving to find where I want to live, or at least start getting a general idea. Ya know :wink:

Probably gonna go south after one last new years :sun:

Oh and I'm rounding it off at 3 years and giving notice to my job for referances when I have to return to reality :cool:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #2929322 - 07/26/04 04:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

how much are you willing to sacrifice is the question. you can travel all over the world with very little money much less than you would think, if you forget about a car and hitchhick, be wiling to sleep or stay anywhere. and just leave with a backpack on your back and work for food money ect. and only use you money for real emergencis. theres even a airplane hitching service  airhitch its not really free but they have cheap prices for the traveller on a budget.

i bet you can find lots of useful info in here too  digi hitch  :wink:

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2932327 - 07/27/04 12:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Depends on how much you want to devote to traveling and how far you want to go.  I work 8-4 during the week, so I'm limited to weekend road trips unless I take time off.  With good planning and the $ you get from working, you can still experience a lot of shit in those short trips.  Taking a few months off & traveling to Europe or some far-away place is cool (and I'd love to be able to do it), but there's life to be explored all around you. 

It's hard, though - I also wish I could be on the road forever, but it is kinda nice being able to pay the bills.  I've gone through phases where I got pissed off at work & dropped out to bum around, but trying to figure out how I was gonna eat turned out to be more stressful than working.  I think I've finally found some kind of balance in my life...until I get pissed & walk out on this job. :grin:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2932401 - 07/27/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

or find a career that'll allow you to travel as much as you'd like to.

you might want to look at why you are wanting to travel so much, and see if you can satisfy those needs in another area.

here's my advice...take care of business now, and travel later, I'm not talking about 20 years later or anything. you live in a system that you have barely any control over, so you are going to have to function within that system for a little bit.  set yourself up so that 3-5 years down the line, you can do what you want to do.

but before any of that, be happy not because of what you do or what happens, but because you exist.  :smile:

be happy because you can.  this way it'll be easier for you to sit tight for a little bit while you get to where you want to be.

my 2 cents :smile:  :heart:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
    #2932499 - 07/27/04 12:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

All you need to survive on the road is a keen awareness to karma and you must be able to sacrifice alot. I haven't worked a day since April and have been living off of the same 2,000$ since then. I've sold a few drugs, worked an odd job or two and did alittle small time vending at festivals/concerts. I lived off rice and beans for days on end.
Like Pyschotron said, after doing this long enough you wind up building a huge network of friends that lean on each other. I had alot of hand outs this summer and everytime I seen an oppurtunity to do the same I gave up something also.
All this talk about money finances I would disregard, it didn't work for your parents and probably won't for you either, financail security doesn't equal happiness. As long as you aren't in debt up to your ass and don't have any kids you can drop what your doing any time and wing it, you'll learn alot more about yourself that way. There is no future brother, only now.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #2932653 - 07/27/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

^^ i like that.

couple things i think your will want. pack, tent, sleeping bag, water filter (VERY HANDY!!!), fishing rod, ropse/bunjee etc, hot/cold clothes, medi kit, fire making device(s). with that you can probably live off the land most anywhere. ive been doing back packing for a while but have always fealt the same as you. this year i decided fuck it and started making my way towards a year or whatever hike wherever. i keep many animals so of course they are first priority, but once they are in new homes im outa here.

a good job is only good if thats how you plan on living your life. whatever you decide i hope you have a blast doing it.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: How does one do it... [Re: kadakuda]
    #2932704 - 07/27/04 01:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

:yesnod:

I am working all winter and if all goes well I will be on the Appalachain Trail by March and am planning on doing the entire thing over the summer with one Army Ranger.

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: How does one do it... [Re: Adom]
    #2932760 - 07/27/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Adom said:
  :yesnod:

I am working all winter and if all goes well I will be on the Appalachain Trail by March and am planning on doing the entire thing over the summer with one Army Ranger.

I live rite off the trail. You'll have to stop by if I'm around when you come through :stoned:

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: How does one do it... [Re: iloveraving]
    #2932770 - 07/27/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's a long ways off and I've never been one to stick to plans very well but if I actually do it, I'll let you know.

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Re: How does one do it... [Re: Adom]
    #2933867 - 07/27/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think I might break out the ol'  :thumbup: and see if I can't get accross this state with nothing but a back pack.  I've only hitched short distances that were infested with hippies so it wasn't anything like really being On the Road.  On the other hand having my proper camping gear for the weekend would be nice.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #2934043 - 07/27/04 07:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I am reminded of a poem I put to memory years ago....

The Men That Don't Fit In
by Robert Service

There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and they rove the flood,
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Theirs is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest.

If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are,
And they want the strange and new.
They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
What a deep mark I would make!"
So they chop and change, and each fresh move
Is only a fresh mistake.

And each forgets, as he strips and runs
With a brilliant, fitful pace,
It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
Who win in the lifelong race.
And each forgets that his youth has fled,
Forgets that his prime is past,
Till he stands one day, with a hope that's dead,
In the glare of the truth at last.

He has failed, he has failed; he has missed his chance;
He has just done things by half.
Life's been a jolly good joke on him,
And now is the time to laugh.
Ha, ha! He is one of the Legion Lost;
He was never meant to win;
He's a rolling stone, and it's bred in the bone;
He's a man who won't fit in.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Re: How does one do it... [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #2935410 - 07/28/04 02:29 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wow many different opinions to people.  Very cool.  I was really high when reading them and all of them made me stop and think for awhile.

I think I emphasized me need to "travel" a little to much.  I've lived poor before, living the life of partying(not a lot of travelling or anything though), and I got so stressed out by not having money to buy food, feed my dog, etc...I had fun, but it wasn't something I could keep up and be happy.  I guess I'm just looking for what gives me a balance.  I don't want to base my life around money though, because money can be bullshit.

BUT...hehe...at this time, I make pretty decent money, but by no means live rich. Even though I could easily afford, I sleep on a single matress on the floor(hehe eventually I'll buy something).  When I moved here, all I brought was a big backpack and a sleeping bag  :wink:

The best way I can explain how I feel, I don't want to conform to one way of life and to a set of guidlines and rules.  Rather, I want to experience all these unique lifestyles, while holding up a positive attitude and  :heart: everyone I meet.  Trying to spread the love to as many places and as many people and die with a shitload of memories and experiences.

One side of my brain is telling me, "yeah, give your two weeks and go.  You'll be happy...go meet some new interesting people.  I have good references, I could find a job pretty much anywhere.  Take a paycheck and hit the road.".  And damn, that would be nice. 
Other side of my brain says, "Suck it up, and just take this time in this new town, new job as an experience.  Just learn from it.  Stick it out for awhile, get the feeling for the lifestyle and in the meantime save lots of money.  Stick it out for a few years".

Or you could just say I'm young, dumb, full of cum...and don't know exactly what I want yet...hehe  :wink:

Thanks for the idea who talked about investments and whatnot...I SHOULD really look into that.

Good poem!

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

#2936110 - 07/28/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"Or you could just say I'm young, dumb, full of cum...and don't know exactly what I want yet...hehe"

who does?  i dont.

problem is when your young its the best time to experience travelling, but it is also the best time to have money.  Have you spoken with your boss?  any possibility to get an unpaid leave for a few months?  or quit and come back after a while?

i knwo exactly what your feeling, but know i have no high paying job so the decisions are easier  :tongue:  money is a very good thing in our society, as false as it may be it does get peolpe places.  but are you really going to want to backpack and party it up at 40?  most of the people that i know dont.

goodluck either way

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
 User Gallery

Re: How does one do it... [Re: kadakuda]
    #2936124 - 07/28/04 12:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

also lots of places wont be around much longer. blame deforestation, global warming, polution whatever many countries are being lost very quick (siberia, haite, madagascar etc). some, such as haitie, have no forest left and is only humna devolpment left to see. may aslo want to plan around that if other countires is your bag.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
639 topic views. 4 members, 35 guests and 81 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 12 queries.