Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
How to shorten URLs for sharing - Klarn college #1 * 3
    #28981881 -

Greetings to all, and welcome to my lesson on removing excess tracking stuff from URLs! Whenever I encounter a link to a product that I might want to check out, I make sure it's CLEAN! As in right-click, copy link, paste into a text file or new email, and remove the extra junk!

***Please don't do this if you are using someone's affiliate link! They won't get paid from the transaction without their user-specific info on the URL!***
***Also, definitely don't do this to shroomery links! The stuff on those URLs needs to be there, it's part of how the forum works!***

This course is to show you how easy it is to remove that alpha-numeric nonsense that's at the end of most shared links to items on major websites. Let's begin with a simple example:

"I'd like to buy a red dog toy, and here's what I found on Amazon..."

https://www.amazon.com/Zanies-Lil-Yelper-Dog-Toys/dp/B00U1V9ANQ/ref=sr_1_3?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mSNLGTA0_yy-3k1u8y0lBHJFq2B53RJXtSKNPB8gTYwnS61VeL5LG1oaXLy4bThXjUwdBtstjHTUSLd0gS4dkvBCHH3kdpEZvTrq7fTjFnHsRI-vMgI5Rk8spBOuVj7-icN533Yk85hHd052NS6c7hP-ztlRn_UYsiCm4nqHI-8aKKbySeq7aXPjsI895zGSdNd-q9p_c1b9gXNRAmKwvJEKvZHN_u4yiV0aNye2mg6w_GGBjXhicSvZl6bnylWbI7Lbzy2BnOF021PWL4bmG2KNRia10gAzJv-yrpZiVJ8.QAEpl0sDS0IbnAWp4X-PjykMK8xvOtGnCkaolTKETE8&dib_tag=se&keywords=red+dog+toy&sr=8-3

WOW, that's a lot of gobbledygook! Whether you are linking an item you use in a tek, or you just want to text that link to your Auntie, there's no need to post a whole paragraph's worth of junk. In fact, everything at the end is just helping Amazon track you, your searches, location, browsing habits, buying history... maybe even the site where you clicked it. But have no fear, I can show you how easy it is to ditch all that!

Let's look at our example link - you see amazon.com  /  then the product name  /  then dp  /  then the item's unique ID  /  then garbage.

You can safely remove everything after the unique ID number, starting with ..."/ref=sr_1..." all the way to the end.

So now, if you want to post that adorable red dog toy you found, you can copy the URL from the browser address window, then paste it into a blank text file or new email draft. Then simply highlight everything from "/ref=..." to the end and delete it. What you're left with is the direct link to the item - no metadata for the giant corporation!

https://www.amazon.com/Zanies-Lil-Yelper-Dog-Toys/dp/B00U1V9ANQ is all you need in this example. You can test the link to be sure it works before sharing, and you can feel good knowing you've helped stick it to the man!

This will work on links from nearly any online retailer, but some have different formatting. I will list a few big ones here, but please post any sites I missed and I'll be happy to help figure it out!

ebay:

full link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/365038844306?_skw=red+dog+toy&itmmeta=01J8JB2Z27J5NPE61KGF82WS6R&hash=item54fe02b992:g:51oAAOSw-jZmqFL5&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAAwHoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKm1GQo0PMb5J5EZy5YIykKtHG%2BLYAG8wXZvdFCcITgmS2HI2f%2FuVqx7%2FxA0rPGMJLcny31j4LpD7Su%2BiknPvCH%2BISGxn9Sl03daqslV%2B5GZ156Swnx%2FXJeCalNm3cCRKee%2FjxvkM3aThJ8hJPoQWcfZBsf%2FhAQLCJntUDXNyHYCFGOKytvmbtI62RIpXY7UQN8MzMySwpzlYy6pLyixlUptzvyUe37nj1Zf2WO4ToEwvw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABlBMUKTxi8vEZA

you only need the ID number, remove everything starting at the ? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/365038844306

walmart.com:

full link - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Life-Plush-Dog-Toys-Red-Octopus-Medium-Size-12-inch/1965743079?classType=REGULAR&from=/search


you only need the ID number, remove everything starting at the ? - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vibrant-Life-Plush-Dog-Toys-Red-Octopus-Medium-Size-12-inch/1965743079

Thanks for reading! Please share this post if you found it helpful. Mush love to all! :wave:


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to shorten URLs for sharing - Klarn college #1 [Re: KlarnEvil9]
    #28981994 -

Nice write up. This will come in handy for sharing.


--------------------
Stoned Gummys | BRF Pucks | Primo Reusable Plates | Easy LI 4 Preserv & Propo
"Psychedelics are powerful substances. Nothing that powerful is completely safe... and nothing completely safe is that powerful!" - Abigail Calder at ALPS 2023
Don't Panic

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to shorten URLs for sharing - Klarn college #1 [Re: ReverendMyc] * 1
    #28984574 -

Hehe I hated those large links too, so I took to hiding how large they were by clicking the link tool on the post header, the adding in the url:

Amazon vermiculite

Then it still looks neat :smile:

Nice to know there's an alternative way to make those links manageable.


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Edited by QuantumZ00 (10/13/24 12:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to shorten URLs for sharing - Klarn college #1 [Re: QuantumZ00] * 1
    #28985579 -

QuantumZ00 said:
Hehe I hated those large links too, so I took to hiding how large they were by clicking the link tool on the post header, the adding in the url:

Amazon vermiculite

Then it still looks neat :smile:

Nice to know there's an alternative way to make those links manageable.



Good point! I'm definitely not offering this lesson as an alternative to making links that way, but rather to help shorten the links behind those! Even when you set the URL as a text link, all that tracking junk is still in there. I can see that your still has the track-your-shopping-habits garbage at the end. I think using both techniques will help everyone.


--------------------
"For the powerful freedom-takers who rob justice from us all, that's why I keep my pistol loaded, powder, cap, and ball..."
Read more, post less!
...turns out, I'm an amateur at everything

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: How to shorten URLs for sharing - Klarn college #1 [Re: KlarnEvil9] * 1
    #28988516 -

Very good point. I will utilize your method now, you've converted me.


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
403 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 17 queries.