Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Dr.Phil show taken to court
    #2878554 - 07/11/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know, just heard about this on the news a few weeks ago and thaught some of you might want to comment on it. I personaly think that they should put a disclaimer at the begining or at the end of the show that states: "his is not real, and this is for informational and entertainment purposes only" or something like that.
Please read and post your comments!! I'd be glad to see what the rest of you think about this age of telivision and what should be censored or whatnot.

Published June 3, 2004

Activist argues 'Dr. Phil' needs better disclaimer

Associated Press

Los Angeles ? A mental health activist has filed a complaint about "Dr. Phil" with the Federal Communications Commission, alleging the show fails to air an adequate viewer disclaimer.
A statement advising viewers that psychologist Phil McGraw's advice show is intended as entertainment and not counseling should be shown before each episode, Neal David Sutz said in his FCC complaint.

Sutz, of Mesa, Ariz., said the brief disclaimer at the end of the show, which was added after he publicly criticized the lack of an on-screen advisory, was not enough.

"Isn't the purpose of disclaimers to warn individuals, from children to grandparents, of the content of a proceeding program so that they can make an informed decision on whether or not they wish to watch?" he asked the FCC in a May 12 letter.

The disclaimer reads: "Opinions expressed during the show are educational and informational in nature and are directed only at the individual show guests based on their specific and unique circumstances.

"The material provides general educational information only to the viewing audience. For advice appropriate to your specific situation, please consult a local health care professional," the disclaimer states.

Paramount Domestic Television declined comment Tuesday. Previously, a studio executive said McGraw always has been explicit about his intent.

"Phil has said on the air many, many times that we are not doing therapy here," said Terry Wood, executive vice president of programming for Paramount Domestic Television.

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2878649 - 07/11/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think the disclaimer should read:

"Dr. Phil is a moron. His methods of deep, insightful, psychotherapy rely on breaking a person's spirit and humiliating them so there are immediate results for the TV audience. This leaves little lasting improvements on a person's well being, and in fact can be damaging. Again, Dr. Phil is a moron, and this show should be entertainment only in the form of being so absurd that it's humourous. Real improvements come from hard work, not quick fixes. Open your eyes, he's a moron."

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Northernsoul]
    #2878775 - 07/11/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

AND Dr. Phil has NO doctrine degree of ANY sort.

he also has a diet but HE'S FAT!

if someone is dumb enough to follow his advice then they deserve the harmful effects of his 'psychological advise'

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: StonedShroom]
    #2878814 - 07/11/04 04:39 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, most definitely, exactly right, he is a fucking moron! He's got more problems with his wife and family than the people that come on his show. And in addition to that he's out there preaching how to lose weight and all and he's a fat fuck. And bald and talks like an ass also just to add. He's just really annoying, and worst of all he thinks he knows what he's talking about and acts like his word is the last and final authoritative word.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Locus]
    #2878894 - 07/11/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: matts]
    #2878969 - 07/11/04 05:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Any idiot can give people hope. I don't believe he does his job to help people either. I believe he does it all for the money. And I'd like to know the truth rather than a false hope. It's sad if you're taking advice from someone who can't stand on his on two feet himself pertaining to the topics he deals with in helping people. Whatever, I don't care enough about this to go on anymore.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Locus]
    #2879134 - 07/11/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
Any idiot can give people hope. I don't believe he does his job to help people either. I believe he does it all for the money. 

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there. :thumbup:

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2879294 - 07/11/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It's certainly true that having hope can be a very benifical resource to have when facing personal problems, but almost all of Dr. Phil's methods are extremely centered around destroying a person's defense mechnisms without replacing it with a health sense of self. It's a rather dangerous practice since it doesn't allow the person to make the discoverys on their own, so they're left with this overall giant personal problem without any real solution. Psychotherapy takes years of work, not 22 minutes with a studio audience.

But your point is very valid. A sense of hope can lead to a chance in outlook, as long as that (possible false) sense of hope doesn't come at a price (I.E. a televanglist claiming your problems will be solved by sending money to them).

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineAneglakya
mephiticconjurator

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Twirling]
    #2881847 - 07/12/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

sooo, dr phil = jesus? :jesus:

he gives people hope to get their fat asses off the couch by making them sit on their ass and watch his tv show.

:sleepingcow: :sniper:

I hate oprah, dr. phil, and jon walsh.. in that order.. they suck. hella.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

#2890381 - 07/14/04 03:22 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

matts said:

it's like a psychic. if you believe in psychics, and they tell you something positive will happen, you will believe them and live a happy life, and the whole self-fufilling prophacy will work out and perhaps what they said will come true, just because they said it.

I agree with matts because it's true, the world is only as bad as one thinks it is, and if someone can convince you in some way, with "magic" or even a magic show like dr.phils, people gan live happier.

How about this: I go on TV and advertise "Lucky Stones" for 9.99 you get a lucky stone, and you have REAL people giving it up for this stone saying stuff like: "It really works" and "where would I be without it". There is nothing wrong with that at all, as long as theyre not lying that is......and as long as there is a disclaimer saying results may vary or what not, I would NOT worry about getting caught for anything, and it would be completely legit, no matter how stupid the concept of Lucky Stones turning peoples life around is!

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: Twirling]
    #2893803 - 07/15/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Twirling said:

"Dr. Phil is a moron. His methods of deep, insightful, psychotherapy rely on breaking a person's spirit and humiliating them so there are immediate results for the TV audience. This leaves little lasting improvements on a person's well being, and in fact can be damaging. Again, Dr. Phil is a moron, and this show should be entertainment only in the form of being so absurd that it's humourous. Real improvements come from hard work, not quick fixes. Open your eyes, he's a moron."

lmao.  :thumbup: that's awesome.

Invisiblematts
matts

#2894081 - 07/15/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Re: Dr.Phil show taken to court [Re: ImOver18]
    #2897630 - 07/16/04 03:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ImOver18 said:
Quote:

Twirling said:

lmao.  :thumbup: that's awesome.

Good Comment:)

--------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
And I'll be gone

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom