Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Speed Running * 1
    #25918992 -

Anyone here into speed running?
usually I don't replay games but
I use to use speed demos archive for walkthroughs before youtube was a thing
and I've been watching Summoning Salt's speed run break downs and record progression and find the whole thing really interesting


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool]
    #25920024 -

I just watched the first part of a blindfold Majora’s Mask speedrun.  I geek out on how they glitch the system and seeing how they approach things that I’ve done for awhile and think I have figured out and then get humbled.  I’ve never done a speed run, I can’t think of a game I have figured out and can run through smooth enough to be any sort of competition.  I do like 100% games though and getting them to compleesh..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Amanita86] * 1
    #25920805 -

Blind runs and wrong warp glitches are crazy.

I tend to favor glitchless runs just because they strike me as more accessible (beginner friendly)
but the speed run community is pretty open about their techniques, even info on the hard stuff is out their its just up to you to master it

I remember a few years ago someone posted a competition here on the shroomery to see who could get the best mario kart 64 times and it was a fun little taste of the friendly speed run competition, I was thinking of doing something like that again if the interest is there


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool]
    #25921286 -

when im bored i like to watch GDQ clips off of youtube.

Games Done Quick is a bi-annual speedrunning event that raises money for various charities. It is livestreamed, and speedrunners from all over the world come out to run their favourite games.

I especially like watching runners destroy games from my childhood. theres a sick diddy kong racing one. and donkey kong and diablo 2 and goldeneye. Then there are games ive never played but that are fun to watch because the runners are entertaining and you learn cool things about video games. cuphead, titanfall, etc


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool] * 1
    #25921299 -

I guess the beginner friendly aspect never occured to me because even the easy ones I probably still couldn’t keep up.  An actual racing game would probably be my only shot I usually do pretty well at them.  In addition to the glitches though I got caught up in stuff left over in games.  Some have whole levels that got abandoned, they’ll have walls missing but they’re there.  I always assumed games were ‘complete’ and what you saw was what you got.

All that programming shit works like magic to me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Amanita86]
    #25927851 -

I've thought about it but I don't think I could dedicate the time to master a speedrun. I'll watch some speedrunners on youtube and some speedruns from AGDQ/SGDQ.
I really enjoyed FFVII since that was a game I've played since I was a kid. I started watching the FFIX speedrun as while back and that just reminds me that I never finished it.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Parafaragaramus]
    #25928826 -

I enjoy speedruns, but the glitches kind of kill it. Actual speedruns are professionals who mastered the controls of the game, aswell as remembering all the details. These people glitching half the game out and calling it a speedrun isnt really fair to the people who worked hard on control and memory.


--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Chakanooga]
    #25929180 -

actual speedrunners aren't professionals, they have just mastered a particular game through countless hours of play-time and finding useful glitches and being able to reproduce them to benefit a speedrun is an important part of running.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Chakanooga]
    #25929278 -

A lot of people seem to have trouble lining all those glitches up into a solid single run.  I’m of the group that if you’re on official equipment and the cartridge is playing as manufactured, no other inputs, then it’s fair game.  That’s my favorite category.  They have all kinds of categories so no need to get mad at one set of rules..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Amanita86]
    #25931713 -

Amanita86 said:
A lot of people seem to have trouble lining all those glitches up into a solid single run.  I’m of the group that if you’re on official equipment and the cartridge is playing as manufactured, no other inputs, then it’s fair game.



What if the glitches are by design?

I know game developers give testers Development/Debugging builds with shortcuts/glitches that makes it easier to advance.

Sometimes these shortcuts make it into the Release Build by mistake or intentionally as Easter eggs.

The movie "Ready Player One" is really about internet gaming communities.



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: korgoth]
    #25931963 -

I watched a great video on the original Doom speed running. Unreal how much time some people put in to it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: korgoth]
    #25931973 -

I’m fine with whatever pre decided rules are decided, as long as I’m fine with them.  :shrug:

That’s about as complicated as it get for me, know what I mean?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: korgoth]
    #25931985 -

there is a fine line in glitches

you have things like in goldeneye where you can hug a certain wall to activate a guard so he opens a locked door so you don't have to get the key

or by looking at the ground the game doesn't have to load as many textures and runs faster

but you also have the Mario wrong warps that require a series of pixel perfect executions to get the game to load the data you want in real time and basically break the game by skipping huge sections



interestingly enough the the glitch that almost broke speed running was the 2nd one.
people started staring at the floor to increase their times which made the videos unwatchable


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool] * 1
    #25932062 -

I think I may hook up my N64 today
I don't own goldeneye but I do have perfect dark


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool]
    #25932210 -

lol that was a fun game. tranqs, n-bombs and laptop guns plz


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: SampaJasli] * 2
    #25932776 -

Ok I did it, I dug out and hooked up the n64
anyone who wants to do some friendly speed runs let me know
this is what I have but I wouldn't be against emulators and virtual consoles to include more people


I haven't touched Perfect Dark in almost 15-20 years
I figure this is as close to brand new as I can get
and after my first few runs I wish I could stream this

my old record on the first level was 5:32
but I have an even faster time at the higher difficulty
and I'm not one for replaying levels


I've decided to give myself 3 tries, no practice, no walkthrough, no preparation

my first run.... 6:03
ok, I had to relearn the controls and find the objectives
this was pretty casual


second run... 2:57
felt really good about this one, obviously I cut a ton of time off of the last one
and even found a faster route on the fly


3rd run... 1:58
pretty nervous going in, wasn't sure how I was going to save more time without any advanced techniques
but I still managed a whole minute off



now for the moment of truth,
what is the world record.... 0.05 :mallow:

but wait that's not a glitchless run
the slowest ranked run (with a video) I could find is only 0:50
and that sounds achievable



be


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool] * 1
    #25934104 -

started today by doing some slow runs, exploring the level
and then 3 more "speed runs"

1:17 followed by 1:10


I'm having a hard time getting into the elevator consistently
and if I miss it I have to wait for it to come back up
I hit it perfect on this run and finally got under a minute


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: CosmicFool]
    #25934193 -

Game on.


--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Chakanooga]
    #25934240 -

Alright cosmic, i never played this game, so i had no clue what i was doing or where to go, there was a couple times i ran into a wall clicking buttons thinking it was a door, then i was chillin in the office and the lady pushed the alarm and called security. I still think i did pretty decent for my first go.



My second go i got caught up in the basement again, circling around. Time was 2:34.



Now for the last one, all i did was run past everyone, just getting to the elevator and basement door, to the lab as quick as possible.



Its gonna be hard to beat that 0:54


--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Speed Running [Re: Chakanooga] * 1
    #25934619 -

wooo a little competition... good luck
you're already under a minute and a half and better than my first 3 runs
and I like that you are putting your sn in the pictures
:kenthumbup:
I know strafing is faster than running but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet
as of right now that is the only thing I know that I can improve


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Speedrunners! Psychonautica 538 10 06/06/15 05:40 AM
by Beanhead
* Can we have a free give away games thread?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
trekie 6,168 71 08/21/15 07:12 AM
by Beanhead
* Proudest Video Game Achievements?
( 1 2 3 all )
LogicaL ChaosM 3,433 47 02/15/18 12:34 PM
by Konyap
* Recommend a good game
( 1 2 all )
desant 2,721 33 12/05/15 08:02 AM
by RR42013
* Final Fantasy 6
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
EllisDSox 7,102 127 09/05/16 03:50 AM
by EllisDSox
* Old games Chakanooga 253 4 04/01/16 07:54 AM
by EllisDSox
* Morrowind vs. Oblivion
( 1 2 all )
Boutang 3,867 23 10/05/11 08:54 AM
by SmokeyKermit
* NES Nintendo encryptor 474 6 06/03/14 05:14 AM
by cApTaInCrAp

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss, Shroomism, CookieCrumbs
1,351 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.