Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDustyBottoms
 User Gallery

Loc: TheUnderbelly
Game of Thrones * 1
    #25818755 - 02/17/19 12:09 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Any GoT fans out there?  I saw the first few episodes awhile back.  It was pretty good but I failed to stick with it.  I believe the final season is starting in a few months.  Should I or should I not get myself current on the show?  Did the show remain awesome or did it start off great like many other series only to flame out after a few seasons?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25818767 - 02/17/19 12:14 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I caught up with it years ago to season 5 and just never continued watching it. I'll catch up to eventually again, I had just kinda forgotten about it. It was pretty good. There's a reason why it's so popular, it gets pretty good.

No reason to watch it if you aren't enjoying it though :shrug:

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #25818797 - 02/17/19 12:25 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I havent watched the show, but the finale of TV shows i usually pretty flippin epic.

I plan on watching it before the big finale.

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Loc: Deutschland
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: DustyBottoms] * 2
    #25818808 - 02/17/19 12:30 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I’ve been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire long before HBO picked up their “Game Of Thrones” adaptation.
Martin is easily one of the best 5 if not 3 fantasy writes out there.

The world he crafted is so rich and full, from the histories, to the cultures and traditions, to the characters and places it all tells very authentic and highly though out. Martins world building abilities give me inspiration in my own writing.

The TV adaptation started really strong because the two directors are truly good at their craft and knew just the story they were trying to tell but as they’ve advanced past Martins writing they’ve kind of dropped the ball and in my opinion season 5 was the last truly remarkable season. Don’t get me wrong, seasons 6 and 7 were amazing and still the best thing to hit TV in the past three years, besides Westworld season one possibly; but they have a few flaws when it comes to pacing and a direct narrative where as the first 5 seasons were damn near perfect in all aspects.
This all said we are a few months away from the last season and part of me really thinks it might be the best one yet. It’s only six episodes and they have SO much to cover each and every episode of this last season is going to be so packed to the gills with action, conclusions, answers and resolutions, each episode is going to have the impact of an episode 9 or 10 from any other season.

But in conclusion it really is the best show on TV and while some of the later seasons aren’t quite as good as the starting ones they are still better than any other option for what you could be watching.

Do yourself a favor, start the series from the beginning and get caught up then come tell us yourself what you think! :grin:

--------------------
“The problem with the Bourgeoisie is that they’re not relatable. They can not read the room and it isn’t a good look. This should have stayed in the drafts. #tonedeaf” - Karl Marx

Want to join a cult? Click for details…

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: SARAtonin] * 1
    #25818815 - 02/17/19 12:32 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

So A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the book which was adapted to the TV show "Game of Thrones"?

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #25818827 - 02/17/19 12:36 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It’s the name of the book series, “A Game of Thrones” is just the name of the first book.

A Game of Thrones,
A Clash of Kings,
A Storm of Swords,
A Feast for Crows,
A Dance with Dragons,
The Winds of Winter,
A Dream of Spring.

--------------------
“The problem with the Bourgeoisie is that they’re not relatable. They can not read the room and it isn’t a good look. This should have stayed in the drafts. #tonedeaf” - Karl Marx

Offlineeieio
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25818831 - 02/17/19 12:39 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Did the show remain awesome or did it start off great like many other series only to flame out after a few seasons?

Sounds like the start of a great poll.

I'd say the latter.

Season 1 is probably the best TV... ever.

Annnd, it just sorta slides on down after that.

Stopped around Season 5 as well and refuse to be lured back in. If the book ever gets written, the torrent (of the last season) will always be there waiting for me. P.S. They all die in the end anyways. It's all a dream by Ned, just like 'Vermont' 'Newhart' ending...

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: SARAtonin]
    #25818834 - 02/17/19 12:41 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Ohhhhh.

Perfect :thumbup:

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: DustyBottoms] * 1
    #25818878 - 02/17/19 01:01 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: eieio]
    #25818887 - 02/17/19 01:04 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

eieio said:
Quote:

Did the show remain awesome or did it start off great like many other series only to flame out after a few seasons?

Sounds like the start of a great poll.

I'd say the latter.

Season 1 is probably the best TV... ever.

Annnd, it just sorta slides on down after that.

Stopped around Season 5 as well and refuse to be lured back in. If the book ever gets written, the torrent (of the last season) will always be there waiting for me. P.S. They all die in the end anyways. It's all a dream by Ned, just like 'Vermont' 'Newhart' ending...

is it all a dream by Ned? That's very interesting.  Why do you say so?

Season 1-2 are same quality I would say. 

The rest is anyone's take.

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

"Hope your day is as wonderful, loving, and kind as you are."
:heart:

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: life is good]
    #25818888 - 02/17/19 01:05 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

No matter what it's better than most anything else.

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: SARAtonin]
    #25818903 - 02/17/19 01:14 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SARAtonin said:
I’ve been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire long before HBO picked up their “Game Of Thrones” adaptation.
Martin is easily one of the best 5 if not 3 fantasy writes out there.

The world he crafted is so rich and full, from the histories, to the cultures and traditions, to the characters and places it all tells very authentic and highly though out. Martins world building abilities give me inspiration in my own writing.

The TV adaptation started really strong because the two directors are truly good at their craft and knew just the story they were trying to tell but as they’ve advanced past Martins writing they’ve kind of dropped the ball and in my opinion season 5 was the last truly remarkable season. Don’t get me wrong, seasons 6 and 7 were amazing and still the best thing to hit TV in the past three years, besides Westworld season one possibly; but they have a few flaws when it comes to pacing and a direct narrative where as the first 5 seasons were damn near perfect in all aspects.
This all said we are a few months away from the last season and part of me really thinks it might be the best one yet. It’s only six episodes and they have SO much to cover each and every episode of this last season is going to be so packed to the gills with action, conclusions, answers and resolutions, each episode is going to have the impact of an episode 9 or 10 from any other season.

But in conclusion it really is the best show on TV and while some of the later seasons aren’t quite as good as the starting ones they are still better than any other option for what you could be watching.

Do yourself a favor, start the series from the beginning and get caught up then come tell us yourself what you think! :grin:

what are your other favorite fantasy writers?

i enjoyed ASOIAF but like most readers am feeling a little betrayed that the books took a long long break for the show.

currently rereading Malazan Book of the Fallen, was going to reread A Wheel of Time but all the filler that i remember and the rushed/ghost written ending and that made me wait to reread it.

im excited for the conclusion but will wait to see how it all ends up, the show is a pretty big deviancy in the last couple seasons.

--------------------

OfflineEnjoywho
Rags to Bitches
Male User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: ReposadoXochipilli] * 1
    #25818906 - 02/17/19 01:17 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

For fantasy I was really into the redwall books when I was younger. I'm surprised they haven't made any movies. With the cgi they have now they could be pretty good I bet.

--------------------
"I don't give nothin' to nobody, I just pay the cost to do business." - Riley "Young Reezy"-Boondocks

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"In the days of kings and queens I was a jester."

"And then the great lord created bears... too many bears... shoulda really dialed back on the bears." Squidbillies

"Can you start speaking words instead of your damn filthy lies!"- Louise "Bobs Burgers"

Offlineeieio
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: Enjoywho]
    #25818922 - 02/17/19 01:24 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I honestly couldn't get through the books.

GRRM needs a better editor.

Roy Dotrice reading it to me though? As I relax under an electric blanket with a candle, window open and belly-full of mulled wine, kratom, and benzo derivatives? Much better.

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: eieio] * 1
    #25818939 - 02/17/19 01:34 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Saratonin, you might check out Roger Zelazny. . . Martin gives him tribute in a short piece..  Also I believe Lord of Light n the series is tribute to him as well. 

Quote:

He was a poet, first, last, always. His words sang.

He was a storyteller without peer. He created worlds as colorful and exotic and memorable as any our genre has ever seen.

Quote:

Lord of Light was the first Zelazny book I ever read. I was in college at the time, a long time reader who dreamed of writing himself one day. I’d been weaned on Andre Norton, cut my teeth on Heinlein juveniles, survived high school with the help of H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, “Doc” Smith, Theodore Sturgeon, and J.R.R. Tolkien. I read Ace doubles and belonged to the Science Fiction Book Ciub, but I had not yet found the magazines. I’d never heard of this Zelazny guy. But when I read those words for the first time, a chill went through me, and I sensed that SF would never be the same. Nor was it. Like only a few before him, Roger left his mark on the genre.

He left his mark on my life as well. After Lord of Light, I read every word of his I could get my hands on. “He Who Shapes,” And Call Me Conrad . . ., ”A Rose for Ecclesiastes,” Isle of the Dead, “The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth,” Creatures of Light and Darkness, and all the rest. I knew I had found one hell of a writer in this fellow with the odd, unforgettable name. I never dreamed that, years later, I would also find in Roger one hell of a friend.

Yeah, pretty certain. :smile:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/friends/in-memoriam-roger-zelazny/

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: Enjoywho] * 1
    #25818942 - 02/17/19 01:36 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Enjoywho said:
For fantasy I was really into the redwall books when I was younger. I'm surprised they haven't made any movies. With the cgi they have now they could be pretty good I bet.

i bumped into redwall in the begining of the 3rd grade by stealing it from my friend so he wouldn't have it and it totally sparked my love for reading, having older family that was into dragon lance ect ect helped also but redwall man, good stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleAcuriousmycologist
"Asking for a friend"
 User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: ReposadoXochipilli] * 1
    #25818951 - 02/17/19 01:42 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It's awesome! Do it! I'm so looking forward to final season.

--------------------
We're all mentally ill. We're all delusional. We're all junkies. It's just a matter of degree
(the Venerable Robina Curtin)

Anything I say here is a fiction, for role play or research only. Full of bollocks I am. I wouldn't believe me.

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: Game of Thrones [Re: ReposadoXochipilli]
    #25818953 - 02/17/19 01:42 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I enjoy the show but I am ready for it to end as well. Feel like they are starting to milk it a little, reminds me of some anime I used to watch.

Read the first book but I dont feel its well written at all :shrug:

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: life is good]
    #25818956 - 02/17/19 01:43 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ReposadoXochipilli said:
what are your other favorite fantasy writers?

i enjoyed ASOIAF but like most readers am feeling a little betrayed that the books took a long long break for the show.

currently rereading Malazan Book of the Fallen, was going to reread A Wheel of Time but all the filler that i remember and the rushed/ghost written ending and that made me wait to reread it.

im excited for the conclusion but will wait to see how it all ends up, the show is a pretty big deviancy in the last couple seasons.

My favorite fantasy authors besides GRRM are Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Tolkien and Terry Goodkind.

I don’t really mind how long GRRM is taking to come out with the last two books, as someone who enjoys writing I know perfection can take time and inspiration can never be rushed.
And it’s not like Martin is just being lazy and not writing, Fire and Blood just came out November of last year.
My current favorite author, Patrick Rothfuss is currently on the end of very similar criticism for who long he is taking to write his next book in the King Killer Chronicles, The Doors of Stone.

Quote:

life is good said:
Saratonin, you might check out Roger Zelazny. . . Martin gives him tribute in a short piece..  Also I believe Lord of Light n the series is tribute to him as well. 

Quote:

He was a poet, first, last, always. His words sang.

He was a storyteller without peer. He created worlds as colorful and exotic and memorable as any our genre has ever seen.

Quote:

Lord of Light was the first Zelazny book I ever read. I was in college at the time, a long time reader who dreamed of writing himself one day. I’d been weaned on Andre Norton, cut my teeth on Heinlein juveniles, survived high school with the help of H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, “Doc” Smith, Theodore Sturgeon, and J.R.R. Tolkien. I read Ace doubles and belonged to the Science Fiction Book Ciub, but I had not yet found the magazines. I’d never heard of this Zelazny guy. But when I read those words for the first time, a chill went through me, and I sensed that SF would never be the same. Nor was it. Like only a few before him, Roger left his mark on the genre.

He left his mark on my life as well. After Lord of Light, I read every word of his I could get my hands on. “He Who Shapes,” And Call Me Conrad . . ., ”A Rose for Ecclesiastes,” Isle of the Dead, “The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth,” Creatures of Light and Darkness, and all the rest. I knew I had found one hell of a writer in this fellow with the odd, unforgettable name. I never dreamed that, years later, I would also find in Roger one hell of a friend.

Yeah, pretty certain. :smile:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/about-george/friends/in-memoriam-roger-zelazny/

Very interesting! I’m going to look into him right now, thanks!

--------------------

InvisibleSARAtonin
Violent Dreams
Female User Gallery

Re: Game of Thrones [Re: eieio]
    #25818960 - 02/17/19 01:45 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

eieio said:
Roy Dotrice reading it to me though? As I relax under an electric blanket with a candle, window open and belly-full of mulled wine, kratom, and benzo derivatives? Much better.

Roy Dotrice is a fantastic narrator.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf