Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Thoughts on scaling ranges in long range shooting.
    #22514156 -

I've been trying to see how far I could effectively hit a target.  With my Beeman RS2, with a 6-24x scope, I can hit a one inch target at 55 yards, or a 1-1.5 inch object at 100 yards.  After these ranges, the drop is absurd, and the pellet destabilizes, even with heavy pellets.

This, obviously means that my longest shot on a 1 inch target would be around 70-85 yards.  If I had a rifle capable of long range (which I could handle; the RS2 is about 12-13 pounds, and I can group 2 inches at 100 yards with no support), I wonder weather I could reasonably expect to hit, sayyyy a cantaloupe at 1000 yards or more?  Or am I a moron?  <likely.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Thoughts on scaling ranges in long range shooting. [Re: ReaperAndRaven]
    #22514208 -

For the pellet to hit anything at 1000 yards would be a fluke or pure luck. your hold over would be something like 60+feet above your target. 100 yards is about the max you should expect 150 if you have a nice set of optics. If your looking to shoot further step it up to a .22 LR or magnum and you can expect to hit a target with at up to 500 yards. Airguns lack the power needed unfortunately.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Thoughts on scaling ranges in long range shooting. [Re: Scientia]
    #22514256 -

No, I meant if I got something like a .300 or a 30-06 or any other high mass high velocity round.  I know the limitations of the pellet gun.  I would never even try to hit anything at all at 200 yards.  It would basically feel like a lead raindrop. 

Edited by ReaperAndRaven (11/12/15 02:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Thoughts on scaling ranges in long range shooting. [Re: ReaperAndRaven]
    #22521818 -

1000 yards is not an easy shot for us beginners.

with my mosin nagant with iron sights 600 yards is a pot shot luck shot.

i dont have any optics on any of my weapons that would make me say i am comfortable with a 1000 round shot.  hell most badass rifles these days have a listed effective range of 1200 yards.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Thoughts on scaling ranges in long range shooting. [Re: rackem]
    #22523106 -

Interesting...  I know a kill shot has been made to 1.6 miles...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, Shroomism, feevers
594 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.