Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewalsh013
Stranger
Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ?
    #2214293 - 01/02/04 03:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

anyone have any pictures of these shrooms... im going to go out in the woods tommorowo here in jersey and waste a few hours looking for someting that isnt there... but anyway... what do these mothers look like?

Pat

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrapefruity
Lawn Gnome
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: walsh013]
    #2214919 - 01/02/04 12:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

hehe...i dont think theyre common...cuz ive never heard anyone sayin they have found it and I have never seen a pic.

Don't waste youre time lookin for that! New jersey isnt the best state to find psilocybes. The faq says there are cubes too, but personally ive never heard of anyone finding them there. But you may want to try your luck later this year.

Edited by Grapefruity (01/02/04 12:35 PM)

Offlinewalsh013
Stranger
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: Grapefruity]
    #2214960 - 01/02/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

what are the odds for finding some sort of Amanita?... there was rain here all night and through the morning and tis sunny and fairly warm now

Pat

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2214987 - 01/02/04 02:08 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Fall season shrooms are basically over, even the Amanitas cannot survive the freeze. Their season is from August-Sept to November-December

mj

OfflineGrapefruity
Lawn Gnome
    #2214993 - 01/02/04 02:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

well...if youre looking for a trip, Amanita shouldnt be one of your concern. Alot of em are deadly poisonous ...The only common psychoactive amanitas i think are A. Muscaria and A. Pantherina , and they do not contain psilocybin, they contain ibotenic acid which when heated becomes muscarine (not sure bout that) . Those substances are more deliriants than hallucinogenic. Some people say the high is awesome but a majority get bad side effects...

If you want mushies, grow them. Pretty easy. The only thing more complicated to find are spores, the rest you can find in any hardware stores...

Edited by Grapefruity (01/02/04 02:12 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: Grapefruity]
    #2215107 - 01/02/04 03:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

There are actually several species of Amanita which are fairly common that could be considered "active". The active compounds are mostly Ibotenic Acid and Muscimol (Muscarine is a trace contituent, and you definitely don't want to use Muscarine). Muscimol is indeed a result of heating Ibotenic Acid.

Amanita muscaria and A. pantherina are the 2 best known species, although it curently appears that A. pantherina doesn't actually occur in the US (it's a European species - the type collection is from France). What US authors have been referring to as A. pantherina is a complex of at least 3 or 4 very similar species that have not all been named in the literature. Since they have not yet been studied in detail, it would not be wise to consume them, as some of the species may contain relatively dangerous toxins. A. muscaria is relatively well studied and, especially the red capped varieties, are fairly easy to identify.

Overall, your post is a good one, and I agree with the sentiment. Amanitas are dangerous mushrooms, accounting for about 95% of mushroom fatalities. Only very experienced mycologists should ever consider eating any Amanitas for any reason. Mistakes in identifying your Amanita can be deadly.

As you mentioned, the majority of those who try "active" Amanitas find them to be very unpleasant - something they don't want to ever try again. There are people that clain to enjoy them, but they seem to be a minority.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2216155 - 01/03/04 03:52 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i feel i should second TM and Grapefruity's sentiments.

we few who eat the psychoactive amanitas seldom advise anyone else to do so. even in my case, i do not "enjoy" the effects. they are not what one would call pleasant.

as for the question about Psilocybe Graveolens, they are verry rare. you will not likely find them. i believe i have only seen one picture of them ever.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: canid]
    #2216358 - 01/03/04 09:44 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Noi ine has any pic tures of P. graveolens, however I did post a page from Guzm?n's Genus Psilocybe here a few years back which showed some line drawings of what it is suppose to look like.

Maybe tomorrow I will post the page again. Tried to find it in my files but couldn't so I will have to rescan the info. But now is not shroom season in NJ and won;t be until the fall of this year.

mj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Picture of Psilocybe Graveolens ? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2216359 - 01/03/04 09:47 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

thatk you for that MJ. the drawing was probably what i was thinking of.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification