Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!!
    #20364139 -

I've been rereading through Hamlet the last few days, it's with out a doubt one of my favorite literary works and I make a point to reread it once a year.

There is so much we could talk about when it could to Hamlet it could fill three threads,
so I'll just limit my original posing to the topics of Ophelia and Gertrude,
but feel free to expand our Hamlet discussion what ever which direction you see appropriate.

Gertrude is quite possibly my favorite character out of all Shakespearean Literature and quite certainly my favorite in Hamlet.
What I find so attractive about her character is how as she develops as a character all it seems to do it raise questions.
Did she know about Claudius's plot to murder her husband? Did she love her husband and only marry Claudius to keep her power?
Was it an honest betrayal of her son to Clausius and did she actually believe Hamlet when he told he he was not crazy?
The questions surrounding Gertrude can be looked at and answered many different ways depending on how you read and interpret the play.
Because of this I honestly find Gertrude to be the most dynamic character in the entire play.
What do you think about the character of Gertrude and the many questions surrounding her,
I only scratched the surface with the most obvious ones.


The second character I wanted to touch upon briefly was Ophelia.
I think she represents a largely underrepresented/discussed archetype in literature.
This archetype being a character that has descended into madness after allowing obsessed love to destroy them.
Ophelia was very much the victim in this tragedy being hurt and betrayed at every turn.
You are given the since that not even Polonius her own father even pays much heed of her until after her suicide.
It has been said that Shakespeare has essentially written every story and every character archetype.
For as much as we use the archetype of the Opheliac, I find it sad how little her name is actually mentioned.


So take it away! Feel free to talk about one or both of the two topics I just brought up.
Or like I said before, feel more than welcome to bring up more for us to discuss.

Edited by SARAtonin (08/02/14 10:24 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: SARAtonin]
    #20364827 -

Really no one?
Aw well.


--------------------
Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

You are Me and I am You.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: SARAtonin]
    #20364843 -

While there's no arguing that 'Hamlet' is one of history's finer plays, I'm going to assume that your average person hasn't read it since highschool or college. I don't think I've read a play at all since college. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #20364903 -

I really enjoy the narrative styling of plays; the story being mostly if not entirely progressed through dialog lone.
I find plays presents the story in a fun and unique way this way.
They have got some obvious limitations, but they can definitely be a fun break from traditional novels.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: SARAtonin]
    #20364918 -

I don't know anything about Hamlet... Sorry. :sorry:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: SARAtonin] * 1
    #20365242 -

Shakespeare is fucking dull as hell. Expand your literary horizons and then we can talk.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: whatsgrimace]
    #20365248 -

I dont get the deal with Hamlet... It's just a book of famous sayings.

Hamlet 2 tho is fucking prime


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: something super extreme]
    #20365664 -

sVs said:
Shakespeare is fucking dull as hell. Expand your literary horizons and then we can talk.



not at all bra, try actually reading it sometime and learn why we cherish that shit still hundreds of years later. I've read plenty of stuff but Shakespeare is up there, right with PDK and Nabokov.

Hamlet is great, I love Hamlet's indecision towards his whole scenario; almost like he's a twenty something stoner in the 21st century. I felt like Gertrude knew the whole time, but unlike Hamlet she had the sterness to make a decision, in her case just to go with the flow and realize it was better to accept her new position.

Been too long since I read Shakespeare, probably half a year or so. Romeo and Juliet was the last I read. Love Mercutcio; "tis not deep as a well nor wide as a church door, but it'll do." Or something like that, what a badass line a true OG's last words.



Edited b/c I had to change new to knew  :shakingfist:

Edited by BlunderSoftly (08/02/14 04:49 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: BlunderSoftly] * 1
    #20365815 -

BlunderSoftly said:
that shit



Well, at least two words out of that rambling pile of shit that you call a post were accurate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: something super extreme]
    #20367183 -

You just too damn smart for Shakespeare or something man? Oh well, stick to Boroughs, Thompson, PKD then; its all good shit. Just a shame you can't recognize other stuff just as valid and human, probably only because some incompetent teacher tried shoving it down your throat idk. Open your mind up a bit and you'll see its just as good.

Funny that you don't really have an argument about why Shakespeare is shit, but to be fair it'd be pretty tough to find one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: BlunderSoftly]
    #20367196 -

I never read hamlet, I so need to!
I do love reading Shakespeare's poetry out loud in a British accent to myself :laugh:

Btw awesome avatar


--------------------
Pull the blinds and change their minds....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: Cosmic_Flame]
    #20367390 -

I'm about to play some Counter Strike and go (HAM)let on some noobs.  :costanza:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: Magicman69]
    #20367465 -

i cant read all that atm, sorry

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: Cosmic_Flame]
    #20367480 -

Cosmic_Flame said:
I never read hamlet, I so need to!
I do love reading Shakespeare's poetry out loud in a British accent to myself :laugh:



:rofl2:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I'm bored, let talk some Hamlet!! [Re: Floydseamus]
    #20367554 -

read " Les Miserables " by Victor Hugo.


it's good!


--------------------

R.I.P. WoodRuss67, Todcasil, TheMerryIguana, The Rompus, Lord Senate.
[/url]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Ima see an Hamlet play Synth Ethics 543 14 05/07/13 11:54 PM
by Adden
* Remember the names Doris, Gertrude, and Edith?
( 1 2 3 all )
Rhizohunter 1,786 41 10/11/12 03:45 PM
by tyrannicalrex
* Hamlet's Oedipus Complex therapist 1,402 14 08/05/10 02:50 PM
by therapist
* Green Eggs and Hamlet TheShroomHermit 346 0 07/14/04 01:39 PM
by TheShroomHermit
* Time to sleep. Superbad or Hamlet 2? shroomer33 292 0 05/19/11 02:49 AM
by shroomer33
* Hi!!!! I'm bored. NikolaiMcGreggor 927 11 03/03/04 04:55 PM
by filthysock
* Doesn't shrooms, weed and Hash become boring?
( 1 2 all )
Fliquid 5,044 30 12/30/04 03:21 PM
by Silven
* bored as hell shroomdreams 654 10 11/14/04 12:11 AM
by mnbv

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
696 topic views. 6 members, 670 guests and 280 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.