Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat
    #19573009 -

Or any fishing/crabbing/lobster boat. But I have no experience at all and have no idea about how to do it. I'm only 19, but it's something I want to do. I fucked up, made some bad choices, didn't go to school when I had the chance, etc. But not I have had my shit back on track for the past year and I sat down and thought about what is one thing I've always wanted to do, and it was to work on one of those boats, whether it be a crabbing boat off of the coast of Alaska, or fishing for lobster in the Gulf of Maine. My question is, does anyone know anything about this sort of work and how do I get into it with really no experience on the water at all? In fact, I've never even held a real job. What is it like? I've always thought that the older guys are probably dicks to the younger greenhorns, but I could get over that. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #19573249 -

Maybe track down a company that is of interest and give them a call asking exactly what you just asked.  Position availability, requirements, seasons etc.  Worst case scenario they tell you they dont have time to tak so you track down another company.  That's how I'd approach it.  I'm like you though and have no idea how it works, or how out of line that approach is.  If it bombs, you know to approach it from another angle..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #19573275 -

I don't know how to go about getting that job, but I know its one of the hardest jobs out there. Its very physical, dangerous, and pretty much working around the clock out at sea for months at a time. I love to fish, but I would not want to do it commercially.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #19574349 -

anyone know how

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #19574410 -

Start looking up fishing companies and start filling out online applications.

Alaskan Leader Fisheries is one I found in as many minutes.

Once you start filling out applications hopefully you get some e-mails and opportunities to interview. I would say if you don't get hired to work the boats, seriously look into working in a processing plant for the summer, if only to get work experience under your belt, get a little more familiar with Alaska, and learn a little more about how the industry works.

No offense, but if I were the leader of a crew and I had two guys standing in front of me asking for a job on my fishing boat, and one of them had never had "a real job" I wouldn't hire that kid. I wouldn't want someone who had never had a job to be on my boat working long hard hours 24/7 while stuck out at sea with the same dudes for long stretches of time. I just wouldn't.

It would definitely help your case to have prior work experience, someone to give you a reference stating you are hard-working and reliable. A processing plant/cannery up there might be the best place to start to get a good reference from an employer in the industry. Maybe start throwing in applications for those places too, just in case you don't get hired on the boats right away.

Best of luck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #19583935 -

You won't be the first or last person down on his luck and at wit's end to go to Alaska and sit on the docks hoping to be a greenhorn.

Get ready to cut a lot of bait no matter where you end up fishing. If you didn't grow up with fishermen it's going to be much harder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #19586993 -

Don't bother filling out applications, you need to get on a plane and go there if you're serious about this,
it's the only way you'll get a decent job. Fly to Bristol Bay, AK.

If you want to research on the internet and get a job on a boat you can, filleting fish in a processor.
But the money isn't that great working in most processing vessels.

You've just got to show up, it's how it works.

I don't think you stand a chance if you do get on a boat.
You've never worked before and you want to jump into one of the most dangerous and difficult work environments in the world?

What's your fitness like? Do you have fast reflexes, perform well under pressure, sea sick and incredibly sleep deprived?

The money is appealing, but it's not a sure thing.
And there's long term consequences to the Alaskan style of work.
You could end up like me with a ruptured disk which requires surgery.

Do something fun, train to be raft guide.

If you want to work on boats get a little proper training and look into yachts, see the world.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I want to get a job on an Alaskan fishing boat [Re: Anonymous #6]
    #19588035 -

After much research, I think getting a job at an onshore processing plant would be the best route to take if I ever want to become a deckhand. Many people have taken this route before, and it seems like the most logical path. You get an idea of how tough and exhausting the work is, you get experience in the industry, and you can get your name out there a bit. It's supposedly very easy to get a job in a processing plant, and the money isn't bad either for a Summer's worth of work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* I want to try Turtle Anonymous 571 10 06/16/18 02:11 AM
by Anonymous
* Who's a bigger threat to children? Anonymous 701 13 11/23/08 10:58 PM
by Anonymous
* ITS OVER FIVE THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!! O_O
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 575 24 03/08/08 05:58 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
156 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 11 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.