Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe * 1
    #18549795 -

Here we go. The making of a stone inlay ring.

First step: Here is the block of bradford pear im going to use, as well as the ring Im using for a size comparison. The bracelet off to the right is another piece of bradford pear that i've already finished.Here are my possible stone options as well.


I think the dark blue will look the best


After mounting the wood, I do a quick sketch of the ring so that I dont cut the block down too far


After a very rough turn, I sketch the inside and outside limits of the ring again


So here is about what the ring will turn out to be


In order to inlay the stone, I cut a divot for the stone


Now is the time to crush that stone. here are all of my materials for crushing the stone


Here is the method used. the plastic dish to catch the crushed stone, the duck tape to catch fragments flying off and the hammers to crush.


And the crushed stone, fragments ranging in different sizes


Now to add the stone using super glue and a dish to catch the fallen stone


Here is what it looks like after adding the stone (one section at a time)


The first completed gluing of the stone


After I gave it time to drive I sanded the stone (which i probably didnt let it dry enough). I sanded using a metal file and 60 grit sandpaper. due to all of the gaps I repeat the process of adding the stone.


After addind stone a third time and sanding using the file 60 grit and 220 grit, this is what ive got


Now onto finishing the ring: Sanded using 60,220,400,600,1500 grits and then a briwax coat was added


Time to detach the ring, came off decently well, but still a bit of cleaning up needs to happen.


So I cut a peg on the block to flip it over and friction fit the ring back on the lathe to get to the other side.


After repeating the same steps for this side, I've got the finished product!


Pretty pumped with the way it turned out. Since this ring, I made two others with different finishes, but this was the best finish.


--------------------


"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: Bambi]
    #18549824 -

Wow, that's really nice work. Looks like lots of fun, too. Good job!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: Bambi]
    #18549837 -

Very nice.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #18549868 -

Very cool.

I don't think I've ever seen a wooden ring before.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: Patlal]
    #18549919 -

Thanks guys! :awethumb:

Always great to share with you all


--------------------


"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: Bambi]
    #18550087 -

:awepreciation: wonderful craftsmanship my friend! pretty fuckin impressive really:thumbup:


--------------------
:hummer:

:trees::trees:

:aweyeah::trippinbawelz::awecid:
.         



         
             
             
                                              :redneck::tentjump:                         :hole:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: the mad machinest]
    #18550137 -

Thanks guy! You ever finish that pipe you started yesterday? What is this about a spiral pipe? That thing sounds dope


--------------------


"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: Bambi]
    #18550163 -

instead of Makin a pipe I made a wooden mushroom, it's still on the lathe, Ill take a pic of it in a Lil bit. I think ima do some stone inlay inthe cap before I pull it off the lathe now that I've seen you're Awesome process!! and the spiral pipe was that surprise I was talkin about a few weeks ago, I seem to find other things to do everytime I look at it :lol: I'll get to it eventually though..:wink:


--------------------
:hummer:

:trees::trees:

:aweyeah::trippinbawelz::awecid:
.         



         
             
             
                                              :redneck::tentjump:                         :hole:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The making of a stone inlay ring on a lathe [Re: the mad machinest]
    #18550243 -

Sounds nice, I'm looking forward to seeing your rendition of a mushroom. It seems like everyone has a different take on a mushroom. I also wanna see your stone inlay. Take a picture of the rock you use before you use it so we can see how it changes. get that spiral pipe done man! I wanna copy your idea :wink:


--------------------


"I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer, and enjoy my life now that people know I'm not dead. " -Rom Houben

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* New Lathe :D automanM 527 9 05/19/09 03:32 PM
by dopelogic
* Shroomerites in toronto at the stones
( 1 2 all )
Ole Field Trashe 4,744 31 07/31/03 11:14 PM
by Phencyclidine
* the ring wrestler_az 2,167 15 10/24/02 11:38 AM
by Brukan
* Lord of the Rings Trivia
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Ripple 5,760 64 09/22/03 02:30 PM
by shirley knott
* "The Ring" 40oz 2,399 15 10/16/12 11:50 PM
by x Ju x
* Post deleted by Administrator Anonymous 1,694 12 12/01/02 05:47 PM
by Anonymous
* hey guys some questions about the ring movies -us & japanese minusrestraint 942 3 02/25/03 10:33 PM
by cybrbeast
* Making our attention spans even shorter Anonymous 867 3 06/06/03 02:12 PM
by jarby

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,907 topic views. 3 members, 10 guests and 69 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.