Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Favorite Trees
    #1743762 - 07/24/03 04:00 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone here feel a strong connection with certain trees they've known? Ever since I was a boy I've loved trees, they're just so beautiful and they move me in ways that are difficult to put into words. I'm making this post because I've lost some of those trees recently.
I live close to the public library and on the street leading to the library was three old slippery elm trees lined up in a row, beautifully formed trees. When I was twelve years old my grandmother gave me a book, The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe, I was so into that then. Late that summer I was walking by those trees just as a thunderstorm was rolling in, I was in a hurry to get in the library before the rain hit, but I noticed how those trees looked swaying in the wind and I thought "Edgar Allan would love these trees if he was here now." and in my mind those trees were "the Poe trees" ever after.
Now I'm 37 and this past monday the city decided to saw them all down, their beauty and shade gone forever. When I passed by the three stumps in the ground yesterday I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I wish I had taken pictures of them but I never did.
Here is some nice tree pictures in honor of the fallen, the last picture is of the WyeOak in Maryland, it unfortunately fell in 2002 at the age of 460 years.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1743815 - 07/24/03 05:42 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I like em all, but the ones that are most climbable are my favorites.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineAllisonWonderland
Stranger
    #1743996 - 07/24/03 08:17 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I've formed emotional attachments to trees. There is a tullip poplar in my parents' back yard that was the first tree I ever climbed. My parents are fundamentalist christians/conservative republicans and there are several free masons and ministers in my family so when I had my great awakening that christianity was not the religion for me and that I could not share the political beliefs of my parents (age 14/15) the tree was where I went, who I shared with. It definitely gave off a very comforting vibe even from the first time I climbed it. When I was a little older the tree was where I went when I was home and wanted to light up. I hung a jar lid from a ribbon from one of the higher branches and used it for an ash tray. That tree has been a better friend to me than most people. Always there when I need it, never judges me negatively, provided a safe haven for me. But since it's a soft wood tree it will probably die before I'm your age. I won't get a nice 25 year relationship with it. But death is inevitable and not something that I resent.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: AllisonWonderland]
    #1744085 - 07/24/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I like Pine trees

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1744653 - 07/24/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

When I went to Florida and we were in St. Augustine , there were these trees that I thought were realy cool. They looked sort of like that first pic. but the limbs drooped down and went along the ground. Then went back up again farther out.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #1745999 - 07/24/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Brullenia,, the best fruit tree ever,, a huge circular lump of fleshy fruit that appears to be yellow leathery skin with blue nipples all over the ball of fruit, the flesh easily peels off, and their is plenty of seeds inside. these blue nipples are almost identical to a womans' nipples.

Seeds are available next month.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #1746346 - 07/24/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I never had one particular tree that was my favorite, but I do love one particular species of tree, the bristlecone pine.

The bristlecone pine is one of the most amazing trees. It lives in some of the most inhospitable environments; harsh, sub-alpine zones in the western US at elevations where most vegetation has long given up trying to survive. The bristlecone not only lives there but it also manages to be the oldest living organism on the face of the Earth in these rugged conditions. The oldest specimens are found at elevations of 10,000 to 11,000 feet, just at the point beyond which no plants grow. Yet these trees often live to be several thousand years old. Specimens have been found to be nearly 5,000 years old!

These trees look just as rugged and tortured as the conditions they grow in. They are a mass of twisted trunk, bark, and limbs. You would picture just such a tree in a fairy tale coming to life and grabbing an unsuspecting passerby. And in the dramatic setting on top of a barren mountain you can almost imagine just such a thing happening as you stand next to one. I have never found a tree to be more beautiful and hideous at the same time.

And the neat thing about them is that very few people will ever see one in person. Not many people take the time to hike to those elevations and see them. Yep, the bristlecone is my favorite! Somewhere I have some great pictures I have taken of them, but I don't feel like digging through a box right now...maybe later.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

OfflineoDin
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #1747064 - 07/25/03 03:38 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

aspen trees

they make cool sounds when the wind blows

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: oDin]
    #1747080 - 07/25/03 03:47 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

If i had to choose one speices, i would choose beech (fagus sylvatica)

But in genral, i like all trees, and together as forests, there some
of the most beautiful places on the planet

--------------------

OfflineoDin
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: Paid]
    #1747083 - 07/25/03 03:50 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

those are awesome paid

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: Paid]
    #1747152 - 07/25/03 05:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Beech trees are some of my favorites for sure, there are some enormous beeches in my area, excellent autumn trees with silvery bark and gold leaves. This one is an English beech that Learyfan would love, a cool one for climbing.

For ToTheSummit, I've read about bristlecone pines before and I would love to actually see one someday if I ever make it out west.

For Mntlfngrs, the trees you mentioned are mangroves I think, I couldn't find a good picture but this one is decent.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1750972 - 07/26/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

great topic.... :wink:

One of my favourite trees is a plane tree or sycamore

the bark is mottled and sheds pieces to give this cool patterned effect

...I got a massive one in front of my building thats at least 3 metres around the trunk and possibly 60ft high...damn wish I hadn't lent the camera  :rolleyes:

and maples

Trees in tasmania are also pretty choice...

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Offlineeggystardust
Viva elDirector!

Re: Favorite Trees [Re: ruskifile]
    #1751033 - 07/26/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I liked the apricot tree at my childhood home.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1751045 - 07/26/03 03:48 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Bald Cypress.

Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1751274 - 07/26/03 06:06 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Ginko Biloba tree's...There prehestoric, I read that they are one of the only plants that are still around, unchanged from that time....

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #1751325 - 07/26/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

willow trees and cypress trees.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1751356 - 07/26/03 06:47 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Redwoods :heart: 

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1751885 - 07/26/03 11:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

TREES!!???~!??@! I LOVE TREES!!!!!!!! OH SHIT>>

--------------------

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
    #1752148 - 07/27/03 12:37 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

first of all, this post is what the pub is all about. posts like this are one of many reasons i love coming here.

one of my favorite hobbies since i was a little kid has been climbing trees. though they're not the best climbing trees out there, weeping willows have always been my favorite trees to sit under or just to look at. on my first mushroom trip, i had ESP with trees, and spent most of the night sitting at the base of one in my one of my best friend's backyards and absorbed it's knowledge. if i had to choose a single favorite tree, i would choose that one, but any tree is the shit in my book. much love to all the fellow tree huggers of the world.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Favorite Trees [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1752526 - 07/27/03 06:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Another beech

An englsih oak

I was lucky enougth to visit rain forest for the first time this year.

which was amazing.

I?ve also been climbing trees for many many years, i have worked as a tree surgeon, and done it purely as a hobby.
In fact i still climb the odd tree when walking the dog, as sitting 20 foot of the ground in a wood for a relaxing smoke break is a good way to view a forest :-)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies