Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [update 04/30/03]
    #1487742 - 04/23/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

this will be a growlog of sorts.

i am hoping to make an outdoor bed for the fall with my yard-scrap compost supplemented with wheat straw and maple.

i would appreciate feedback from anyone who's grown this species outdoors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[4/23/03]

Today i inoculated 1 quart, soaked and sterilized, hardwood chips with woodchip spawn from Anno's rescent givaway thread.

i just placed the jar into incubation at 72 f. i will try to get the temp up by about 6 degrees.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[4/26/03]

Today i checked on my spawn to find unexpected growth. i am blown away be the progress made in just 3 days. i have shaken and will check back again on monday.

i'll get pictures if at all possible.

[4/29/03]

today i got back home again to check o my jar. colonization has slowed down to a more reasonable rate. it is at about 7-10%.

though i don't think it will be a problem for te spawn jar since i am using a filter, i am a little concerend about conditions in my room as some of the other wood chips i sterilized at the same time as the spawn jar have developed some kind of dark green mold in only 6 days.

i'll keep trying to get ahold of a digi-cam. my gf has one but it isn't working at the moment for some reason.

as a note, the mycelium is much more cottony now than it was on the spawn when i got it.

[4/30/03]

just thought i'd update with a pic:

[5/09/03]

Disaster: well, sort of.

i started to get soem of that nasty green in my spawn.

here is a pic showing the colonization of the jar at the time the contamination was noticed:

[note: the chips where more densely colonized on the inside of the jar]

i have dumped it in the compost bin in hopes that it may yet survive.

here is a pic of my compost bin, and one of the compost:

Please excuse the mess, as i have not been home much in the last month and am way behind in my weeding.

i have fixed my irigation and can water regularly to keep the compost bin moist.
i am hoping that the vegetation [grasses] growing inside the bin itself will help to retain moisture and keep direct light away, but [if/untill] colonization gets well under way i am going to layer cardboard over the surface.

hopefuly this endevor is not dead just yet.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (05/09/03 05:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: canid]
    #1488125 - 04/24/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm also trying to grow it. Here's what I did so far:
Last autumn I cloned SRA from a specimen that was brought to a mushroom exhibition for IDing. During the winter I prepared few bags of sawdust spawn with standard agar to grain & grain to sawdust method. I implanted the spawn into my vegetable garden that is covered by lots of organic materials (permaculture style). And now I'm waiting! :cool:
I made also a bag of "stick" spawn and pushed them into a 1 m2 x 20cm bed of woodchips, sawdust & leaves mixture. The sticks are sort of big tooth-picks about 10cm long that were inoculated with grain. 

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: zeronio]
    #1488208 - 04/24/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

sounds interesting.

i'm not too confident that i'll get a fall fruiting, but i'll get started trying for another over the winter.

anyway, i figured the compost i have may work.

i have three compost heaps. one for growing potattoes in, the other two for yard scraps:
grass, leaves, green weeds and such for fast aerobic composting in the first bin, then dead branches, prunings and larger woody grasses the second bin since they compost more slowly.

anyway, the distributer for my irrigation system is out, so i have no running water in the back, and now i have a large amount of woody, barely composted material in my second bin that may be useful with this species after the addition of the suplements and with a high spawn ratio.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: canid]
    #1488320 - 04/24/03 02:34 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I also have 2 ready jars, i was thinking of using 1 jar for packing crates
filled with old grass clippings straw and compost.Then leaving them under my greenhouse staging and keeping damp untill fall.

The other im planning to mix into last years compost pile that will be left
alone till next year when i use it as compost aroud the garden.

Good luck to you two :-)

edit: that ^^^^ was my plans for my Macrolepiota procera jars  :blush:

I'm planning to mix my Stropharia rugosoannulata
into a bed of 1 year old willow chippings, and a crate of the same willow clipping for the greenhouse.

--------------------

Edited by Paid (04/24/03 05:35 AM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: Paid]
    #1488592 - 04/24/03 07:14 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm a bit worried about the temperatures inside compost piles. I think it can get pretty high and destroy the mycellium.
BTW this species is hard to grow in sterile conditions - it probably needs certain bacteria to start fruiting.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: zeronio]
    #1488625 - 04/24/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah the compost is for the Macrolepiota procera and is a pretty old pile so the heat has died a fare bit.
The wood chips im using for the Stropharia rugosoannulata is 1 year old and is
pretty brown now.Do you recomend i dont steam sterilise the crates of chippings then?

--------------------

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: Paid]
    #1488667 - 04/24/03 07:56 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Here is my friend's SRA...

:grin: 

Edit:
It was grown indoors in that jar.

Edited by MushMushi (04/24/03 08:52 AM)

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [Re: MushMushi]
    #1488677 - 04/24/03 08:04 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Excellent lol.

--------------------

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
    #1489461 - 04/24/03 12:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

:blush: 

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

#1489471 - 04/24/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

What was the substrate used?Grain?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [update 04/29/03] [Re: canid]
    #1509012 - 04/30/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

*bump* updated above.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stropharia rugoso-annulata log [update 04/29/03] [Re: canid]
    #1535333 - 05/09/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

*Bump* Updated Again.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck