Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Estafiate- Artemesia(update and harvest)
    #11780191 - 01/06/10 09:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

English common name: Mexican white sagebrush
Additional English names: Artemisia
Spanish common name: Estafiate
Additional common names
Mexico and Central America: Ajenjo del País, Ajenjo de Indias, Istafiate, Altamisa, Altamix, Chusita, Istaf
South America: Artemisa, Yerba de San Juan, Altamiza, Yerba Madre
Quebec: Armoise vulgaire
Names in other languages
Huichol: Turrú
Basque: Erle
Catalan: Altamira
Galician: Artemisia
Náhuatl: Iztauhyatl
Aymara and Quechua: Korpa makkju, Mark"u altamisa, Mark"ualtamis
Scientific name: Artemisia ludoviciana ssp mexicana
Family: Asteraceae

i got this from my dad today. he's my poppa greenthumb. absolutely beautiful plant and highly medicinal. i think everyone should have one. its that good. its on a windowsill right now recovering from the transplant.

uses
Quote:

Botanical characteristics and habitat: It grows in the wild in almost all the states of Mexico's high central plateau, as well as in San Luís Potosí, Veracruz, Guerrero, Michoacán, Oaxaca, etc., Mexico. Herbaceous plants are 20 to 47 inches high (50 to 120cm). Leaves are ash green, aromatic, alternate, sessile, and tomentose. Flowers are disposed in panicles.

Properties: Anthelmintic, aperitive, stomachic, emmenagogue, cholagogue, antispasmodic, and antirheumatic.

Uses in traditional medicine: Artemisia ludoviciana ssp mexicana, Artemisia mexicana Willd., Artemisia mexicana var., angustifolia. Artemisia vulgaris L. is anthelmintic, aperitive, stomachic and regulates menstruation. It excites gastric juices and bile secretion. Therefore, it is useful in dyspeptic ailments accompanied by a lack of appetite, and in gastric atony. Its antispasmodic action helps alleviate pain caused by hepatic colic in gallstone cases.

In Mexico, the Huicholes drink juice made from the leaves to treat "yuriepa-cucuiniya" (abdominal pain.) The indigenous people of Quebec used the plants native to the area, Artemisia canadensis and A. ludoviciana, to prepare a stomachic and vermifuge infusion, as well as poultices used for treating burns. In Peru and Bolivia, the Aymara used to crown their heads and wrap their waists with Artemisia on "St. John's eve." That is, the Aymara's New Year, in order to guard themselves against evil spells, sickness, accidents, and, above all, bad luck.

In Europe Artemisia was used as a powerful amulet against evil spells. The flowers and the leaves were also used to make perfume against demons. In Germany it was cut on the morning of "St. John's Day" to make crowns to wear as a form of protection against evil spells. It was also harvested in Normandy on St. John's fair to destroy evil spells that prevented cows from producing milk. In France, it was harvested before St. John's holiday and used to treat epilepsy and as a form of protection against lightning and hail. It seems that the Latin name Artemisia was taken from the Moon Goddess. That's why it was probably associated with menstruation. Hence, it has been used since ancient times to regulate menstruation in women who experience a difficult and painful period. In Austria, neither the devil, nor evil spells have any effect on those who carry Artemisia. By the same token, a branch placed on house doors protects the house against evil spells. Artemisia was one of the nine plants used in the Middle Ages to repel demons and vampires.

Remedies:

Make an infusion or decoction with 100 grams of stems, flowers and leaves and drink half a cup two times before meals to stimulate the appetite.
Put 10 grams in a cup of boiled water. Drink three times a day to expel intestinal worms and to regulate menstruation.
Put 3 or 4 dry leaves in a glass of hot white wine, or use powdered leaves mixed with honey two to three times a day as an antispasmodic.
Constituents: From the phytochemical perspective, Mexican white sagebrush is one of the most studied plants and the following constituents have been identified: Guaianolide chrysartemine A; eudesmanolides, ludalbin, santamarin, alpha-epoxyludalbin, arglanin, douglanin, armexin; terpenes borneol, camphor, limonene, alpha and beta-phellandrene, and sesquiterpenes armefolin, 8-alpha-acetoxyarmexifolin and armexifolin; sesquiterpene lactones estafiatin, friedoolean-3-one, artemisia-ketone, tulipinolide, and the germacranolide artemorin. In general, Mexican white sagebrush contains an essential oil rich in cineole and bitter components. Leaves, roots, and seeds contain oil and santonin, nitrogenous matter, resinous substances (both are very bitter), chlorophyll, albumen, starch, cellulose, wax, tannin and salts, and a special alkaloid. Artemisia vulgaris contains essential oils, resin, tannin, mucilage, inulin. Leaves contain vitamins A1, B1, B2 and C.

There are about 350 Artemisa species in the world known by the common name "estafiate" (Mexican white sagebrush), some of which are found in Mexico. The plants are very aromatic and have a bitter taste. Artemisia klotzchiana grows in the arid region of the state of Hidalgo, Mexico, better known as the Valle del Mezquital. Artemisia klotzchiana produces strong substances that inhibit the germination of other species. These substances, also produced by Artemisia californica, are as follows: camphor, cineole, alpha-thujone. Artemisia klotzchiana's acid fraction contains carvacrol, and eugenol. Artemisia klotzchiana's neutral fraction contains: camphor, alpha-thujone, limonene, 1,8-cineole, phellandrene, and borneol. Artemisia mexicana contains camphor, beta-phellandrene, limonene, and borneol. Artemisia mexicana var., angustifolia contains eudesmanolide 165, which has been callec artimexifolin, and tulipinolide and arglanin.

Precautions and contraindications: Alleviates the pain of menstrual cramps by enhancing uterine hemorrhage. Therefore, pregnant women should not use it without medical guidance because it is a potential aborticide. Likewise, it is not recommended for newborns. A high dose may cause metabolic disorders and neurotoxicity. Consult your doctor.

real bushy now. :super:

Edited by ferrel_human (06/24/10 11:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Estafiate [Re: ferrel_human]
    #11780244 - 01/06/10 09:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome Ferrel!

Looks good, can't wait to see it when it's older too!

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: Cactusdan]
    #11780264 - 01/06/10 09:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

me too. i;m gonna have to let it get way big before harvesting leaves. i made the mistake of raping my last one. it had no leaves and it died. the tea is amazing and super relaxing. i've heard the smoke is good too. i'm gonna have to mix some with my doobies.:stoned:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11780271 - 01/06/10 09:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Does it taste like licorice?

I noticed it was in the same genus as wormwood.

--------------------

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: Cactusdan]
    #11780301 - 01/06/10 09:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

its got a semi-bitter taste. pretty strong smell and very fragrant.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

InvisibleKBG1977
    #11780336 - 01/06/10 10:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Very cool man,never heard of it before.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: KBG1977]
    #11780374 - 01/06/10 10:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

its a type of wormwood. like for absinthe

--------------------
-Karode

InvisibleKBG1977
    #11780486 - 01/06/10 10:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It look like it too,and that's what I thought in the first place:grin:

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: KBG1977]
    #11783092 - 01/07/10 12:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

its getting over shock so its straightening up. thanks you jesus, allah, buddah, lucifer,....

i hear its sorta like mint in that its an invasive species. it throws out rootlets and makes more plants.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #11785280 - 01/07/10 05:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alot of Mexicans in my town are into white magic and plant Artemisia (especially white colored ones) with European rue and oregano. Many of the local practices are nearly indistinguishible from European concepts, using the same herbs.

As a smudge, it was believed to dispel the "sick air," which accompanied the Black Death. Modern pandemics were also preceded by a stench.

I believe that a loosening action is implied - miasmas, parasites, demons, witchshot, fetuses, choleric/bilious humors...

In my experience, vapors from the crushed leaves can be more penetrating than Mentholyptus, but the juice can be overly drying when applied directly to mucous membranes. The quid is effective on infected sores and as an antiviral in sore throats, espcecially scummy ones.

Herbal Medicine of the American Southwest says that it improves immunity.

It's put in sleep pillows, because the smell is supposed to induce dreams. This may be due to the fact that thujone is a nervous system stimulant.

It was rumored to cause epilepsy in people who drank excesses of Absinthe.

(I'm going Off-Topic, here, but the holy angels and Lamb are present in the Christian Hell of Revelation 14:10, ferrel_human.)

Edited by durian_2008 (01/07/10 06:01 PM)

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: durian_2008]
    #11789463 - 01/08/10 12:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
Alot of Mexicans in my town are into white magic and plant Artemisia (especially white colored ones) with European rue and oregano. Many of the local practices are nearly indistinguishible from European concepts, using the same herbs.

As a smudge, it was believed to dispel the "sick air," which accompanied the Black Death. Modern pandemics were also preceded by a stench.

I believe that a loosening action is implied - miasmas, parasites, demons, witchshot, fetuses, choleric/bilious humors...

In my experience, vapors from the crushed leaves can be more penetrating than Mentholyptus, but the juice can be overly drying when applied directly to mucous membranes. The quid is effective on infected sores and as an antiviral in sore throats, espcecially scummy ones.

Herbal Medicine of the American Southwest says that it improves immunity.

It's put in sleep pillows, because the smell is supposed to induce dreams. This may be due to the fact that thujone is a nervous system stimulant.

It was rumored to cause epilepsy in people who drank excesses of Absinthe.

(I'm going Off-Topic, here, but the holy angels and Lamb are present in the Christian Hell of Revelation 14:10, ferrel_human.)

good info durian. its good to know this. i, as well as my father, use it as a tea. it, mixed with chamomile or sleep time extra tea bags, has a very relaxing mood.

it stops stomach aches almost instantly. i absolutely love this plant. and someone on here told me you can smoke it to, to create a relaxing smoke.

once my plant gets bigger, i will definitly try it with my other medicine :happyweed:

--------------------
-Karode

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #11795048 - 01/09/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mixed with chamomile or sleep time extra tea bags, has a very relaxing mood.

I like teas alot. I want to grow chamolie this year and try your combo. :coffee:

Quote:

someone on here told me you can smoke it to, to create a relaxing smoke.

A trace of Artemisia, mixed in with tobacco, adds a nice menthol-like effect. Also good with lavender.

I've read that Artemisia was associated with Tagetes lucida, a marigold, which is added to tobacco. (This marigold is associated with clouds.)

Even though Artemesia is associated with the moon and dreaming, a thick cloud of the stimulant oils has a harsh, minty bite.

I believe that Artemisia has different effects, depending on dosage.

I've also noticed that Artmesias vary from ligther colored to darker, and, speaking informally, the darker ones tend to be more mild and calming, while the lighter ones seem to be more active and energetic.

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Estafiate [Re: durian_2008]
    #11797589 - 01/09/10 05:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have trashbags full of ludoviciana I collected from areas of Idaho intended for making into smudge sticks.

Does normal Ludoviciana have similar medicinal properties as ssp. mexicana?

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #11801544 - 01/10/10 12:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rabidbaboon said:
I have trashbags full of ludoviciana I collected from areas of Idaho intended for making into smudge sticks.

Does normal Ludoviciana have similar medicinal properties as ssp. mexicana?

from the first post
Quote:

English common name: Mexican white sagebrush
Additional English names: Artemisia
Spanish common name: Estafiate
Additional common names
Mexico and Central America: Ajenjo del País, Ajenjo de Indias, Istafiate, Altamisa, Altamix, Chusita, Istaf
South America: Artemisa, Yerba de San Juan, Altamiza, Yerba Madre
Quebec: Armoise vulgaire
Names in other languages
Huichol: Turrú
Basque: Erle
Catalan: Altamira
Galician: Artemisia
Náhuatl: Iztauhyatl
Aymara and Quechua: Korpa makkju, Mark"u altamisa, Mark"ualtamis
Scientific name: Artemisia ludoviciana ssp mexicana
Family: Asteraceae

i also read there is artemesia candicans. a canadian variety.

in idaho it might be a canadian variety. i have no idea. there are all similar in appearance. all i know it this plant rocks.

by the way, what are smudge sticks?

--------------------
-Karode

OfflineAdam553
workin' on it...
Male

Loc: United States, Connecticu...
    #11802814 - 01/10/10 03:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

wow, this looks really interesting. i cant wait for summer to come around so i can start my garden up again.

man do i hate winter.

--------------------
The List: Caffeine, Nicotine, Morphine, Codine, Dilaudid, Amphetamine, Psilocybin, LSA, Alcohol, Salvia Divinorum, Nitrous

To Do List: Mescaline, DMT, LSD, MAOI, Yopo, MDA

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: Adam553]
    #11803046 - 01/10/10 04:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Adam553 said:
wow, this looks really interesting. i cant wait for summer to come around so i can start my garden up again.

man do i hate winter.

so do i. it really depresses me because i can't be outside in the garden. replanting, digging, mulching, fertilizing are a few of my favorite things. after, that, i don't feel so fucking bad.

but yeah man i got a long list of things i gotta buy for the upscoming season, which is just around the corner.:grin:

--------------------
-Karode

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#11807849 - 01/11/10 12:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

this is one prolific plant. even with the transplant a few days ago, it has still manage to sprout fron the bottom.

i might be growing alot of these from now on.

--------------------
-Karode

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

#11885481 - 01/23/10 02:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i now believe this plant to be invasive as is the mint plant. 3 offshoots came out since i had it.

--------------------
-Karode

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #11885565 - 01/23/10 03:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ferrel_human said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_stick :tongue2:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Re: Estafiate [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #11885645 - 01/23/10 03:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rabidbaboon said:
Quote:

ferrel_human said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_stick :tongue2:

:super: thanks!

--------------------
-Karode

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale