|Home | Mushroom Info | Growing Mushrooms | Archive | General Cultivation | Casing Procedures | Easy Casing Method|
Easy Casing Method
- Sterilizing container - bake-able or microwaveable
- fruiting container - (see below)
- foil and/or plastic wrap
Remember to practice sterile technique at all times
- Follow PF Tek or MMGG method until you have a fully colonized cake.
- Wet vermiculite and put in sterilizing container, sterilize and let cool.
- Sterilize fruiting container and let cool.
- Add 1/2" (1cm) or more vermiculite layer to bottom of fruiting container.
- Crumble or leave cake whole over bottom layer.
- Cover cake with damp, sterilized vermiculite (note: some growers suggest leaving crumbled cake without casing until it starts to grow mycelium again (24+ hours))
- Cover fruiting container with foil or plastic wrap, poke holes in covering.
- Let stand.
Some growers have reported success, when using a casing layer, using no external humidification. Most growers put their cased growing containers into a humidity tent using one of the many electric humidification techniques. Some growers have reported good results using perlite only humidification (http:// .. perlite humid technique)..
Some growers report using pyrex dishes, others use plastic containers, trays, cheap foil baking pans, etc. Some growers poke holes in the bottom of the containers to keep water from accumulating and drowning the mycelium. The container must be sterilizeable (microwave or oven).