Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenambi
journeyman
 User Gallery
poo wetness
    #4158370 - 05/10/05 04:32 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am trying an EQ strain on poo and I've had terrible results.
When preparing the horse poo I put a bag of horse poo in a pillowcase immersed it in water and pasteurized it at 170o for 2 hours i hung the poo to drip dry overnight and cased it the next day.

I saw good signs of mycelium growth but I wasn't too confident as I thought the poo was too wet to case. When the mycelium growth slowed down I knew something was wrong, Green mold and a nasty smell of poo I knew these were fit for the garbage.

So the next time I filed a Tupperware container of poo dampened it a little and baked at 170oF for 2 hours, it's been 2 weeks and I see little signs of mycelium growth. I opened up my container and got a whiff of stale rye, I know these are fit for the trash now too.

How wet do I prepare the horse poo and what is a normal practice in getting the perfect moisture for this project? I have a set of jars that will be ready with EQ soon and I'd like to try poo instead of the straw method I have been practicing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
Re: poo wetness [Re: nambi]
    #4158383 - 05/10/05 04:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

u should be able to barely squeeze a few drops out of a handful

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4158387 - 05/10/05 04:37 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Alot of this is optinal stuff...just to get the best substrate possible, that I wrote earlier. You can just use horse poo submerged in water, drain off most the water and add verm, and just skip all the steps of adding things you dont have. I do suggest adding the verm though, if not the other things:
--------------------------
Put horse poo in a big tub.
Add water and a shot of vegetable oil.
Add a few chunks of coir. Remember it expands to 7 times the size. I add about 20%.
Soak for 30 minutes then spend 15-30 minutes mashing it up with your hands.
Add Kelp Meal if you got it (optional), 1 ounce of kelp to 1 pound of substrate.
Add about 5% finely chopped straw (from a blender) (optional too).
Pour off most all of the water so theres very little.
Add about 10% worm castings (optional) and mix well for a few minutes working the coir and such in.
Add dry chunky verm, about 10-25% until the texture and water content is right. Its important to drain the poo enough so that the water content is correct.
Scoop into PP bags and secure (lightly so they can breathe) with rubber bands and nuke for 2 minute intervals, mashing in between until they get pretty warm..usually takes about 3-2 minute nukes in my microwave for 5 pounds.
While thats going on, get water warming on the stove with a thermometer to 165-175, then plop the bag in for 3 hours, fully submerged except for the neck.

Thats about as optimal as I've got. Add 25-50% spawn rate to that (WBS, rye, rye grass seed) and it helps out alot. Many recipes exist and any can work if you understand what your adding and why. A fiberous texture will colonize quickly. Hpoo has that already, but adding coir gives it even more of that. Adding worm castings makes the poo muddier, which is also why coir is a good addition. Verm helps with the texture to fluff it out a bunch too, but it also helps with water retention. Straw chopped well in a blender will give some nice strands mixed in like the coir. Not much is really needed since h/poo already has a bunch, but I think a few more peices not broken down so much help fluff it up too. I do not know if worm castings actually does anything or not...if I just removed the worm castings and put in as much h/poo, it might perform just as well...but hpoo isnt easy to come by for me, so it helps to stretch it out and has worked just fine. It is very high in nitrogen though, so its not the best to use tons of it. Kelp meal adds to potency they say but I have yet to test this myself...it comes from a reliable source though :smile: Ground sunflower seeds (small amount) and rye can be added when you add the verm too. Sunflower seeds add oils and lipids needed and rye is a nice boost too. A high spawn rate of a mix of rye and birdseed (with the sunflower seeds left in) and a bit of rye grass seed works out well too.

Find what works for you and keep mushrooms needs in mind. Just like people that need balanced meals and diets containing all the food groups to give us all the vitamins we need, so do mushrooms. Mushrooms love a mix of a bit of everything...some things more then others and some less then others. You just have to find what they like more and less and give it to them.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4158389 - 05/10/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I hope you mean spawned, not cased, with horse manure. Try this tek by Agar. It has always worked for me.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: poo wetness [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #4158390 - 05/10/05 04:38 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

yes. Sometimes it might be better to leave it a BIT wet, and then squeeze the right amount out of the doo. That works good too.

listen to lord. When it's draining (make sure you have time to check on it during the day), squeeze it sometimes.. pick a piece out and squeeze to how lord says it should be ^^^^^^^^^^^.

Good jowb

Sam

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: Sammy]
    #4158408 - 05/10/05 04:46 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

If h-poo comes out to wet when I pasteurize it, I sterilize some quarts of DRY coir and verm (50/50) and mix in the sterile coir and verm with the poo right before adding the spawn and mixing that in too. Mix until water content is right (fluffy, airy, moist, not muddy)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4158476 - 05/10/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Hey Scat, what's up? If H-poo is hard for you to come by, I have exclusive rights to a horse and borrow. I've been gathering poo for the last week and a half, looks like this,

If you're interested in working out some kind of trade, prints, I'd be glad to send some your way. Won't be pasteurized or anything. Just good shit. PM me if interested. From seeing your posts, I'm sure you have plenty of specimens to print, lol. Keep up the great work.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: HippieChick]
    #4158582 - 05/10/05 05:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Actually I have worked out a great source that ships some to me, and I probably have enough to get me through a few weeks until Agars new substrate is released, then I think I'll probably just be using that stuff if its around the buck a pound I heard it might be. I just meant "hard to come by" as in having to have it shipped.

With everything I add to the substrate, it ends up being probably 30% strait h-poo (including spawn), which stretches out my need for poo alot, but on side by side comparison, all that crap mixed up did better then straight h-poo. Looks about the same but yeild was greater on the one to the left (the mix):

And since those I have worked with the mix even more to get the mix to what it is now and fruits are perfect solid and potent as all hell and theres only about 2 quarts of dry h-poo in this:

Thank you for the offer though HippyChick, its most generous of you :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4158767 - 05/10/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

nambi said:
I am trying an EQ strain on poo and I've had terrible results. 
When preparing the horse poo I put a bag of horse poo in a pillowcase immersed it in water and pasteurized it at 170o for 2 hours i hung the poo to drip dry overnight and cased it the next day. 

I saw good signs of mycelium growth but I wasn't too confident as I thought the poo was too wet to case.  When the mycelium growth slowed down I knew something was wrong, Green mold and a nasty smell of poo I knew these were fit for the garbage.

So the next time I filed a Tupperware container of poo dampened it a little and baked at 170oF for 2 hours,  it's been 2 weeks and I see little signs of mycelium growth.  I opened up my container and got a whiff of stale rye, I know these are fit for the trash now too.

How wet do I prepare the horse poo and what is a normal practice in getting the perfect moisture for this project?  I have a set of jars that will be ready with EQ soon and I'd like to try poo instead of the straw method I have been practicing.

First, it sounds like the h/poo you used was not weather aged & dry. Green h/poo has a lot of microbial & bacterial activity in it. That is what causes the shit stink, if they live through whatever you do to it.

Second, if you pasturize in a cloth bag in a pot of water at 170F, the bottom of the pot is closer to 190 / 195 F, to keep all the water at 170F. ALWAYS place a plate or 2 in the pot bottom, so the bag does not come in DIRECT contact with the pot bottom.

3rd. Screw draining. Allow it to cool - to the point you can handle it. Throw enough into a collender & mash / squeeze out the excess moisture out of it. Continue doing so to the whole batch.

When it is DONE, youn should be able to pick up a handfull, WITHOUT IT DRIPPING.

Then, give it a gentle -but- firm squeeze & it should DRIP A FEW DROPS.

If so.... IT IS GOOD TO GO.

Allow it to cool to room temp & add spawn ASAP @ a 25% rate.

H/poo is easy, once you get it DOWN.

The BIGGEST F*CK UP.... is most get it TO WET - TO START.

TO WET TO START - MEANS..... IT WILL ROT, before colonizing & start to smell like a dead cow ass - in the hot sun four days.

Ponder this. You can always ADD moisture, after casing.

Once spawned, you cannot remove excess moisture.

agar.... is now going to burn one - then do a shot or 2.  :eek: :grin: :stoned:

--------------------

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: poo wetness [Re: agar]
    #4158942 - 05/10/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i just got my tenn stud pasturized poo today. i was suprised how 'not wet' it was. if i were to pasturize myself i know i would have made it more wet. so its good to know what properly pasturized poo feels like. to feel water i had to squeeze it pretty tight.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: Shnezbit]
    #4158973 - 05/10/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shnezbit said:
i just got my tenn stud pasturized poo today. i was suprised how 'not wet' it was. if i were to pasturize myself i know i would have made it more wet. so its good to know what properly pasturized poo feels like. to feel water i had to squeeze it pretty tight.

:thumbup: :wink:..... right on.

--------------------

InvisibleTheStudent
Learning
 User Gallery
Re: poo wetness [Re: agar]
    #4159235 - 05/10/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

What do you all think of this pre-pasturized 50/50 H :poop: ?

http://www.tennstud.com/catalog/item/1676047/1184535.htm

Thx,
TheStudent

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: TheStudent]
    #4159615 - 05/10/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Its fine, but straight h-poo is better IMO.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: poo wetness [Re: TheStudent]
    #4159697 - 05/10/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It's a very good high quality product.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#4159933 - 05/10/05 10:57 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Most people have too much water in their bulk substrates. Mix some verm with your pasterized substrate and see how it goes.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,469 topic views. 13 members, 119 guests and 37 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.019 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 12 queries.