- Why should they be "cracker dry"?
Cracker dry mushrooms keep best for prolonged periods of time. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I freeze mushrooms?
Yes you can, however they should be dried first. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I cook with mushrooms?
Yes, you can, although they might lose some of their potency this way. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Do I need a pressure cooker if I want to prepare grains?
Grains usually contain higher loads of bacterial endospores which are very hardy and which survive the temperature of boiling water, therefore a normal cooking process can't kill them. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Should I let the grain sit and soak overnight, or pressure cook right away?
Grain(particularly rye and wheat) carry high loads of bacterial endospores. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Which kinds of grain can I use?
You can use almost any grain as long as it's in it's whole form. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What are some good grain recipes for different species?
A summary of recipes for the creation of spawn or substrate using whole grains. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Why does my grain look "greasy" and overly wet after sterilization?
You used too much water. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I use marijuana seeds as a substrate?
Hemp seed are very high in fats, something not generally desirable in the mushroom cultivation, but you will most likely get some growth. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- When should I shake whole grain jars?
When you prepare whole grain jars, it´s good to shake them after the pressure cooking while they are still hot to redistribute the wetter and drier kernels. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How can I tell if a grain jar is fully colonized?
Once all the grains are visibly covered with white mycelium, then the jar can be considered done. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What can and can't I do with colonized grain jars?
You can case grain directly You can inoculate more grain jars You can spawn bulk substrates like straw, cow or horse dung or compost You can make mycelium syringes You can't. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What is the best means of humidification?
The answer to this question strongly depends on what do you want to humidify. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long will pasteurized bulk substrate last if I don't inoculate it right away?
By pasteurizing many bacteria and some molds still survive in the substrate. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Why do I need 15psi when pressure cooking?
The reason for it is that at a pressure of 15 PSI (pound per square inch) water boils at a higher temperature (250°F, 121°C) than at ambient pressure. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What is the difference between pasteurization and sterilization of casings and substrates?
The pasteurization is carried out for a prolonged time at around 170°F and is supposed to kill only heat susceptible organisms and their spores, while sterilization works at a temperature of 250°F and is supposed to kill all organisms. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I stack jars in the pot or in the pressure cooker?
There is no problem with stacking the jars in the pot or in the pressure cooker, as long there is a lid on the pot. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How can I make a spore print?
This is a short outline. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- When should I pick a mushroom to make a spore print?
The right time is once the cap has opened and begins to throw spores, visible as purple deposit on and under the cap, for instance on the stem or on the veil or on the surface of the cake respective casing. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What can I do with a sporeprint?
You can either make a syringe and use this inoculate pf cakes, transfer the spores to agar medium or directly to sterilized grain substrates. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long is a syringe viable?
Under right conditions up to several years. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long is a print viable?
A print is viable for several years if stored in a cold, dark and dry place. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long should I wait before using a freshly-made syringe?
You should wait a few hours after making the syringe to allow the spores to rehydrate. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How do I cultivate Panaeolus cyanescens?
Introduction: Panaeo) is the next logical step once you've grown Psilocybe cubensis using bulk methods. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- I want to construct a HEPA hood. How do I match a blower to a HEPA filter?
Every filter has a different "resistance" when air blows through it at a certain speed, this resistance is called the "static pressure". (01/01/90 12:00 AM)