- Black Metal + shroom
March 27, it's midnight. (06/01/99 04:00 AM)
- The Shroomery Mushroom Glossary
This glossary is to serve as a reference for both beginners and the advanced, and covers topics concerning the consumption of mushrooms and basic cultivation. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can one tell the edibility of a mushroom by taste?
told that if you place a small piece of mushroom under the tongue and there is no burning or reaction within an hour, that the shroom is probably OK. Is this correct? (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What kind of things will help me to find mushrooms fast?
There are a few special techniques to finding mushrooms especially when
a person has never found a particular type that they are looking for (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Which mushroom cultivation book should I buy?
Paul Stamets and J.S.Chilton: The Mushroom Cultivator (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Which toxins can be found in poisonous mushrooms?
Mushroom poisoning is caused by the consumption of raw or cooked fruiting bodies of a number of species of higher fungi. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Which is the best field guide I can buy?
First of all, you should realize that there is no book which contains all species. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Are there any special things I need to take to go hunting?
What you take to go mushroom hunting will be different depending on what kind of hunting trip you are going on. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What is the point of each step in the recipe?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read the getting started Q&A before reading this overview, otherwise it won't make sense! (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Why do we boil the jars of substrate?
We boil the jars in order to sterilize them. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How much spore suspension from my spore syringe should I use?
PF recommends using 1ml per jar, which, for 4 holes is 1/4 ml per hole. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What recipe should/can I use for PF cakes?
The basic PF recipe is 1/4 cup brown rice flour (measure the flour itself, not the brown rice if you grind it yourself), 1/2 cup vermiculite, and 60ml (4 tablespoons) of water. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What methods are there to inoculate PF jars?
PF jar ingredients, once sterilized properly, are completely sterilized inside the sealed jar. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long should the jars cool before inoculating?
You need to let the jars cool on their own, preferably for at least 6 hours, and hopefully overnight. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Should I sterilize the needle, and how?
When you buy a syringe from a vendor, most vendors attempt to keep the needle as sterile as possible when they create the syringe. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What precautions should I be aware of when inoculating?
In the open air, you should take care to be as clean as possible, as the air itself contains contaminants which would love to colonize your lovely PF substrate and kick your mycelia's ass. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I use coarse grade vermiculite for substrate?
Yes but the coarser type will hold a little less water (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- Can I mix different cubensis strains in a PF cake?
Yes, you can. But most likely one strain will prevail, so inoculate each jar with its own strain. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What are the optimum P. cubensis growth parameters?
Psilocybe cubensis Growth Parameters taken from Paul Stamets and J. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How do I initiate pinning on a casing?
Once the mycelium has appeared in the valleys of the casing layer it's time to trigger primordia formation. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What are the optimum conditions under which to store the PF jars?
PF jars, like other colonizing jars, should be kept in any area with ambient lighting and temperatures between 65-75F. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How long does it take for a pin to mature?
It takes anything from 2 - 5 days for a P. Cubensis pin to mature. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- What is too hot for incubation, and what happens to the jars?
Psilocybe cubensis mycelium has an ideal growth temperature at 86°F and a "thermal death temperature" at 106° (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- How can I speed up colonization of jars?
Maintain optimum parameters for colonization (temperature of around 80-84°F, humidity around 70%rH, proper substrate creation and inoculation) and the jars will colonize at an optimum rate. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)
- When should I harvest?
Harvest casings all together over a course of 1 day for best results. (01/01/90 12:00 AM)