Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

Good choice of spores to grow?
    #2348357 - 02/18/04 12:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Greetings all,

Quite a while ago I bought the Homestead book kit & grew their Amazon strain. I grew them in a bathtub & had a humidifier & heating pad with a thermostat & plastic sheeting which was angled down like an awning over the top of the mycelia. There was a larger sheet of plastic sealing the tub & keeping the moisture in. The smaller sheeting was to catch the dripping from the top cover as the mist inside condensed on the top. This kept the substrate from getting waterlogged. This worked very well and I ended up with so many shrooms I gave most away as I had/have no interest to sell shrooms. Later I bought spores from FS and kept things going.

I've decided I want to grow some again and now I have nothing like I used to have to grow them in (Although I still do have the Mushroom Cultivator book I bought directly from & was signed by Stametes indicating it was like his 480th book sold) Like I said, it was quite a while ago I grew them.

Homestead now no longer sells their kits and FS is no longer around. I'm amazed at the selection of spores available now-a-days and doing it by syringes is such a good idea... Anyway, my first post here is to try to figure out which spore to go with. I'd like to chose something that is a very sweet high but not terribly finicky to grow.

I always wanted to grow P. Cyanescens but it seems like they need very special care & more than I gave the Amazonian. I'm also looking for something that has a decent yield. I've looked at sites like Ralphsters to name one & there's so many options to choose from. There's other sites that also have a huge selection but like Ralphster's I can't make sense of the names & which is easy to grow. All the sites have the disclaimers that they won't offer suggestions for growing & I understand that so I'm asking those questions here.

So before I send away my money for syringes, I'd appreciate getting some input on which great strain I should go for & then once I decide on a strain, how do I find out what the best conditions for growing it are?

Thanks!

--------------------
From The sacred clan of the Indol Ring enters the
Claviceps Purpurea fungi to enlighten all seekers of truth.

Edited by megalomando (02/18/04 12:40 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Re: Good choice of spores to grow? [Re: megalomando]
    #2349482 - 02/18/04 09:46 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

australia, ossira india, b+, golden teacher, creeper, and equador are all great strains to work with big, yields and easy to grow. i like ossira india the best, as far as growing conditions all cubes are about the same, 80-85F incubation, 70-75F fruiting, 85-99% humidity depending of casings or cakes, good air exchange, and 12-12 lighting is best but lighting dosn't matter much, good luck.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

Re: Good choice of spores to grow? [Re: John]
    #2354082 - 02/19/04 09:01 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Hi jtryptamine,

Thanks for the advice. I will have to get different equipment now that I don't have that big tub available anymore. The idea of using an aquarium like I read in one of the faqs is a great idea. Heh, my neighbor just threw away in the weekly trash pickup a 100 gallon aquarium because a side had cracked. I could have used that easily...

Curious as to what you particularly like about the Osirra India more than the others?

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2354112 - 02/19/04 09:12 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Curious as to what you particularly like about the Osirra India more than the others?

just a few reasons...

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlinemegalomando
Musician LaLa La La

Re: Good choice of spores to grow? [Re: John]
    #2354139 - 02/19/04 09:23 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

My goodness! I thought the Amazons were huge. I was given some shrooms a few weeks ago as a gift & they were so tiny dried. They reminded me of pinheads, I'd say they were 1" long & maybe 1/3 the thickness of a pencil eraser dried. I asked & was told they're a small variety but he didn't know the name.

So what does one of the ones being held weigh when just pulled & what's it weigh after it's dried?

Awesome size!

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
    #2354925 - 02/19/04 01:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have always liked the 'penis envy' strain when it comes to cubes, especially the potency. I find it to be higher in this strain. All of the cubes are relativly easy to grow and pretty much have the same parameters as long as you know what you're doing. This board provided all the answers that I needed when I started, oh so long ago. Love the site.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds