Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. *Completed*
    #2240873 - 01/14/04 04:03 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Like the previous "rez-effect" grow log...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Edit: To post what growool is. A loose glass fiber material.

...this is much the same. However, the difference is the use of growool.

Hit this thread as I explain growool there and why I have decided to use it. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Now to the use of growool as a rez-effect material for millet.

2/3" deep pre-sterilised (by microwave) field-capacity growool to base of tray.

Stuff ready to go. Colonised millet to the right. Some more pre-sterilised field-capacity growool to the front -- this will be mixed with the colonised millet. The pre-sterilised (in a microwave) field-capacity 60/40 in the background will constitute the top casing -- in case eating glass fibers on resulting shrooms are a health hazard?

Mixing the colonised millet to the field capacity growool. Ratio, 2 parts millet to 1 part growool. Quantity of millet used is 350 grams.

Levelled out in the tray.

Cased 60/40.

Incubated and patched. It has mended to the casing layer just like a "vermiculite & millet" casings (past) have. 2nd growool tray behind.

First growool tray now to the terrarium. It's the 3rd tray back.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Edited by Starter (02/18/04 01:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: Starter]
    #2240888 - 01/14/04 04:18 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Cool :cool:
I'm thinking of trying some goldenwool as a casing layer, as it should be very hard to contaminate.

--------------------
er

Anonymous

Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: G a n j a]
    #2240913 - 01/14/04 04:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

damn the upload limit!

Anonymous

#2243443 - 01/15/04 06:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

update? :P

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: ]
    #2265103 - 01/23/04 07:32 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Well it's working and the 2nd tray is now starting to show knots.

Ganja, it would be worth while knowing. I now have in the incubator a tray that's made the same way, but has a growool as the top case layer.

--------------------

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#2265198 - 01/23/04 08:35 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Nice work, and great ideas :thumbup:
Growool is a fine tool for us I'm thinking.
Great water holding, low contam risk, and
stable ph wise.

Good job, keep us updated please mate :smile:

--------------------
er

Anonymous

#2266994 - 01/23/04 09:28 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

looking great as always man

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: G a n j a] * 1
    #2267488 - 01/24/04 02:32 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The temps are high (summer) as per 8pm in the evening. "IN" is room temp and "OUT" is the incubator. Fruit size/weight/yield will be lower (as per what's been the caper of late).

A closer look at the two caps that are joined.

Growool case made same as per detailed in this thread, but cased on top as such too. Mycelium now just barely seen to the naked eye mending into it, as per incubation (not seen by camera).

Ganja, yep I'll see how it goes and doco as it happens. But so far it looks promising, as the 2nd case done like the 1st case is working (I'll post when I have some kb's).

So I can't see why growool as a case layer won't op the same (given the material works as a sub-base and substrate additive). The trick (I think) is to patch with small blobs in this ^above shown case...as the growool case layer is rather bumpy with valleys and hills lol.

However, the next growool case I'll make will be done with dry growool placed on top of the millet/growool substrate and then sprayed. I think that would achieve a better "level" casing layer.

IME in hydro, wet growool tends to clump, but when dry it can be shaped and packed (gently) evenly -- which is why I only ever load growool dry to NFT cups for cuttings, then I wet the media. I think if one applies the same methods used in plants with this media then it will work better. Of course, I'll only really know in time.

stupaod, thanks mate. Though these higher temps are a pain, but like most things (i.e. veggies, larger brewing ect) season comes to play.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2270396 - 01/25/04 01:52 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice flush as alwayz!!

--------------------

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2270600 - 01/25/04 03:52 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

nice work mate.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2270759 - 01/25/04 05:05 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks bluemeanie & hanky :smile:

The growool tray fruited..

--------------------

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

#2270802 - 01/25/04 05:25 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice  :thumbup:

--------------------
er

Offlinealienated
contaminationgrower

Loc: kali-forn-I-A
    #2272698 - 01/25/04 08:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

omg, i just creamed my pants.

beautiful!

--------------------
-m.

I dont even grow these things... I just post for this guy that knows a guy, who's sisters boyfriend dumped about 2 months ago.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2274704 - 01/26/04 12:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Nice idea and beautiful grow  :thumbup: but aren't you worried about the likelihood of inhaling or ingesting loose microscopic glass shards?

I used to know a guy who worked with glass fibre on building sites and he was always extremely cautious and wore a face mask and even disposed of his clothes after every job working with the stuff but he still ran into health problems!

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflinefourHoDmt
overclock yourbrain

#2275047 - 01/26/04 03:12 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

where did you buy those green trays that you're using as fruiting containers?

InvisibleMrPink
Stranger
    #2275161 - 01/26/04 04:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Great flush... can't wait to get some wool... :laugh:

Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictur [Re: MrPink]
    #2275715 - 01/26/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

wow thats nice

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

Anonymous

#2275777 - 01/26/04 08:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

your the most consistent grower I've seen starter no doubt....almost EVRYTHING you try works and works very well...bastard ;P

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Growool "rez-effect" whole grain millet casings. (pictures) [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #2283007 - 01/29/04 05:14 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Bi0Tek, the limited exposure I have to growool compared to someone in the insulation industry is minimal. I've used it for years in raising cuttings and no probs. But then I'm not carrying bags of it endlessly and laying it out in crawl spaces.

Tremor1127, to me it's an alternative to vermiculite, esp. as per a sub-base and as an embellishment of water retention to whole grain casings. Thus one could, with the use of coir, forsake the use of vermiculite -- this pends of course the dunk outcome. As a top case layer, I wouldn't recommend it and I will only do so for the curiosity factor. That said, the temps of summer my way are unfortuneatly too high and therefore not ideal to fruiting regimes. I think I'll be able to let the growool express its full potential in the cooler months of April & yonder. I'm patient. But for what it's worth, the material so far is working, I'm confident it is a vermiculite alternative. :smile:

fourHoDmt, they're an Australian made planter tray. Rather generic when said and done. You should be able to get something similar in the gardening section of a hardware store or simply at a gardening center. For what it's worth, I believe hanky also has a set of these green trays so they're easy enough for the Aussies to snap up.

Without ado, the first growool tray (shown in prior post/pic) was picked. I should have picked it a tad sooner, it dumped spores galore and made a mess in the terrarium.

A quick view at what the substrate looks like after the flush. The growool sub-base was rather dry, the mycelium network had drawn on that water reserve. As a rule of thumb growool tends to go a lighter shade of green as it dries. The actual substrate was noted to look similar to millet and vermiculite -- just white washed out.

Wet weight...

Cracker dry clean weight (36 grams)...

2nd growool embellished tray. Temps are high, fruits are small and it's difficult too to know when to flip to the terrarium i.e. a cooler change in summer temps can see to a reduction in "case mending". In other words, it makes it hard to get an even pin-set in these erratic/fluctuating conditions. Timing is key and I've had to watch the weather reports on the "3 day outlook". There's no temperature control in this room. It's at whim to the summer.

The 2nd growool tray is at far end of terrarium. Temps down a little, though not by much. The other two trays on 2nd flush after being dunked over-night -- though not part of this thread (they're conventional millet/verm rez, and I'll update in that thread at the end of the week).

Just a quick glance at this "timing" caper for even pin-set setup -- a Creeper tray (conventional millet/verm rez). But any 60/40 tray casing is the same as another 60/40 tray casing. As you can see, it just keeps vegetatively growing, esp. in a warm terrarium. If cooler weather were to happen, where I had moved it from the incubator to the terrarium, it might not go as far as anticipated and result in a poor pin-set. I'm hopeful this one will pin nicely, but *sigh*, the heat will see to a downsize on the fruits. February is often as hot as January.

Finally, a total growool tray (at front) having been incubated and patched twice is now in a terrarium. Will it work? I'll know in time.

The tray center was the 1st growool sub-base and substrate embellished tray that had been dunked and re-patched. It bubbled more profusely under the drink compared to conventional millet/verm, and came out noticeably heavier. Can it be dunked over-night and work? I'll know in time, but so far it's looks hopeful i.e. no signs of contams.

Be back with an update later.

--------------------

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Starter]
    #2283916 - 01/29/04 12:32 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags