Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAzurepower
addict
Loc: Portland Oregon>
My New Tek:
    #534356 - 01/28/02 07:46 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Mike?s Bird Seed Bulk Tek

Obtaining a Strong Culture

The very first thing you do is isolate a strain on agar; your goal is to establish good rhizmorphic growth. Then you transfer that isolate to several petri dishes, using a glove box to do so.

Sterilizing of Bird Seed

Second after you have isolated a strong rhizmorphic culture, you now are going to inoculate some bird seed. Here?s how:
You will need 12 1 Pint Jars
Ratio per jar:
100 grams of Finch Seed
90-100 ml H20
Plastic lids with poly-fil
Cover each jar lid with aluminum foil
PC for 1 hour at 15 psi
Let cool for several hours

Inoculation with Agar Wedge

Next, with your isolated strain on the petri dishes, you now will inoculate the bird seed using an agar wedge (one plate will do 12 pint jars). This will be done in the glove box to assure sterility. Using a scalpel divide culture into 12 sections, then drop agar culture into each jar, then quickly close the lid. (Note the faster this is done the more chance of full sterility)

Incubation Chamber

Supplies Needed:
2 Rubbermaid Containers that will fit 12 1 pint jars
1 Submersible 100watt fish Tank heater
H20/H20 02 (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Thermometer

It is very easy to construct an incubator, take one Container fill it approximately half way up with H20 and 10% volume Hydrogen Peroxide. Put the Aquarium heater attached to the bottom completely submersed in water, then put the other container inside the container filled with water. Maintain 82-84 degrees during incubation. Place all jars sitting on the warm surface of the container put lid on and watch them colonize!

Maintenance of Jars

After approximately 2-3 days you should see the mycelium spreading fast. Once each jar has colonized 10% shake well and they will do the rest!

Casing Mix/Spawning

At this point is your choice if u want to case the birdseed of use it to spawn Compost/Worm Castings/Dung/Straw. Spawning of compost is probably the best way to obtain very large yields; you do this by pasteurizing the compost in oven at 160 degrees for 1 ? hours just like the casing mix. Using 15-20% spawn by volume for the compost tray, then maintain incubation temperatures. Let spawn run through compost 100%. Case with the casing mix below, wait until mycelium comes through 50-60% of casing layer then its ready to fruit. But casing bird seed will also do very well and is better to go this route first before you move on to spawning of compost.

Casing Materials:
5 parts Peat Moss
5 parts Vermiculite
5 parts Coco Coir
1 part Ground Oyster Shell/Ground Limestone (Calcium Carbonate)
80% H20 per volume

Mixing Casing/ Oven Pasteurization

Mix all the materials well in a large bowl then microwave for 8 minutes (stirring once while microwaving) Or put the casing material in a oven pan cover with foil and pasteurize for 1 ? hours at 160 degrees. Let cool for several hours.

Casing layer dimensions:

I use the small oven baking pans they work great with 1 pint jars. If your using two inches of colonized substrate use ? -1 inch of casing mix. Spread evenly do not pack down, cover tray with foil, maintain incubation temperature.

Fruiting Chamber Supplies:
2 15 Gallon Clear Rubbermaid Containers (Tight lids)
1 Double Port Aquarium Pump
6 ft. Aquarium Pump Hose
1 Electric Timer with Two On/Off Settings
3 Bags of Perlite
1 Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
1 Eureka Vacuum Cleaner Hepa Filter
2 gallons of H20
Acu-Rite Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer

Assembly of Fruiting Chamber

* Before you put anything in your fruiting chamber you want to make sure that the humidity is between 85-95% and your room temperature stays at 73-75 degrees!

1.) This is very easy to build. First you put 2-3 inches of perlite in the bottom of each container and add half water (example 3 inches perlite 1.5 inches of H20) then add a couple of cups of Hydrogen Peroxide to the perlite layer.

2.) Making your automated air exchange pump is very easy also. First take the rubber backing off the back of the pump this will allow better air flow for your air filter pump. Second tape the heap filter using duct tape or electrical tape over the open area of the pump. Make sure the filter is on tight or it will vibrate right off!

3.) Plug in the timer to the Aquarium Pump. Set timer so it comes on twice a day for 30 minutes each time.

4.) Cut the hose accordingly so it will run to each chamber.

5.) Make one hole for each chamber so that the hose will fit in snug. The best way is to heat up a screw driver then melt a hole through the container about half way up on the chambers side.

6.) Attach outside cord for thermometer/hygrometer inside one chamber, then put the actual thermometer in the other. (this saves you some $ because you don?t have to buy two Acu-Rite weather checkers)

YOUR GROW CHAMBER IS READY!!!!

Finally Fruiting

With this automated grow chamber you don?t have to do anything but watch them grow, it will provide fresh air exchanges twice a day and optimum humidity. Then all you do now is place the casing trays into the chamber maintain 85-95% humidity, and 73-77 degrees room temperature. And they will soon form pinheads which will turn into mature mushrooms. Enjoy!

Harvesting

Harvest when you want I say, but the time for peak potency is right when the veil breaks away from the cap.

Dying and Preservation

Dry the Fungi using a window screen and a fan for 12 hours. Do this by laying them out evenly on the screen then have the fan blowing on them directly with cool air. To finish up the drying process get some desiccant (Dri-Rite) and put the fungi in a bowl on a screen over the desiccant until they are cracker dry!

To preserve them use 1 pint mason jars sealed and kept in a cool dark place the freezer works well. Or if you have a vacuum sealer this is the best way!

Consumption

Eat them how you want, but remember this: Heat in anyway will break down Psilocybin faster than anything else so don?t make tea or smoke them heheheh!!!!! My favorite way is to blend them with Orange Juice and drink it down; it also hit you way faster this way!
Enjoy your trip it will teach you many new enlightenments!

I truly believe that this tek will yield the most mushrooms, send me your advice on any changes or improvements that should be added to this tek?

Edited by Azurepower (01/28/02 10:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: My New Tek: [Re: Azurepower]
    #534554 - 01/29/02 12:01 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Nice writeup, I would have done it in a similar way if I ever grew shrooms :wink:

>don?t make tea or smoke them heheheh!!!!!
I can?t tell of smoking, but tea works very well in fact. The key is to grind the shroms as fine as possible and then only let the tea draw for 5 minutes.

OfflineAzurepower
addict
Loc: Portland Oregon>
    #535188 - 01/29/02 05:45 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Come on all (fellow shroomerites), this took me along time to write up, i wanna hear your input?

Offlinedioze1
Satans minion inthe war onlaughter
Loc: Up a hogs ass looking for...
    #535256 - 01/29/02 07:22 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Your effort is appreciated. It was ALL good until the Casing mix/ spawning. Then it got WAY too complicated and expensive, In my opinion. Your casing mix is unnecessarily complex. 50/50 will produce the same results as will straight vermiculite. The high tek air exchange idea is neat but not necessary--fanning works just as well. The Hygrometer is also unnecessary. As for a thermometer, a cheap fish tank stick on is cheaper and works fine. Until you can find a way of misting automatically the "automatic" part of your set up is a mute point. If you still have to mist manually you may as well fan manually-- it is sufficient and costs MUCH less.
Getting rid of the perlite and pans will automate your misting--because the water will actually return to the substrate and not the perlite. the HEPA filter will only do you good if you don't have to open the lid to the container, once you do that the HEPA is mute.
Your patuerising temp is too low. Make sure your compost is at optimum moisture and temp for atleast 24 hours before you
Pasteurize, then crank the heat up to 250 degrees. Gnats and mycleium can survive MUCH higher temps that you think if they are not activated by temps and moisture--they go to a dormant state where they are VERY resiliant. I have had both survive 350 degrees at 2 hours with dry compost/manure.
That is all I can think of for now. Atleast it is a good start--just needs some modification.
Good job!
Dioze1

--------------------
Not all that wander are lost.

OfflineMan
journeyman
Loc: Canada, eh
    #535820 - 01/30/02 11:27 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

>4.) Cut the hose accordingly so it will run to each chamber.
Different length tubes will make different back pressure. Which means the longer the tube the less air so all ur terr's wont get the same air exchange. Granted it may not be a big deal depending on how many, how far apart ect.

>Getting rid of the perlite and pans will automate your misting--because the water will actually return to the substrate and not the perlite.
Dozie, u forgot to mention what to use to humidify. Ultrasonic?

Offlinedioze1
Satans minion inthe war onlaughter
Loc: Up a hogs ass looking for...
Re: My New Tek: [Re: Man]
    #535856 - 01/30/02 11:57 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, that comment is only intended in reference to a bulk operation. Once you get the moisture of the substrate right(It only takes a day or so to get the moisture right) there is no need for further misting, UNLESS one is loosing moisture through air excaping and taking moisture out of the container with it.
Dioze1

--------------------
Not all that wander are lost.

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: My New Tek: [Re: dioze1]
    #536329 - 01/30/02 08:20 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Great method azurepower. Some things get a little complicated...but if it works well for you I am sure it work well for others as well. I try to keep keep things as simple as possible, and experiment all the time to try to get a method that works best for me. For a casing mixture I have found that good potting soil seems to work very well. I buy one that has mixed perlite and vermiculite in it it already with some manure and peat. Seams to work very well....I would like to try coco coir sometime though as it seems to work great. But hey cheers your method is great and you have had great results with it..that is wicked.

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: My New Tek: [Re: SThomas]
    #550288 - 02/13/02 03:55 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like Stamets tek. Out of the growing Medicinal and Gourmet Mushrooms book. Not knocking you, but rather saying that you have it down to an almost perfect science. I think it is a perfect method. Bravo...

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck