Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Fungus gnat control
    #1285577 - 02/06/03 01:42 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think fungus gnats are one of the hardest contams to get rid of. Who has some unique ideas for fighting them? I know that prevention is the best path, but what are the most effective ways to get rid of them? Lets put together our heads and build up some info for the faq. I couldn't seem to find any info in it on fruit flies when somebody asked me about them recently.

And my first suggestion:
http://www.gardensalive.com/item_display.asp?ProductNumber=1962&PROG_NBR=9
Anybody know if this stuff is useful, or safe to be used on a casing. I think it's a bacteria, which may be good or bad in a casing depending on the species and strain. Anybody know?

Also, the only other way I've been able to fight them is the destined to lose battle with sticky traps or worse, toss the casing.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: mycofile]
    #1286430 - 02/06/03 05:32 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Anonymous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: mycofile]
    #1286488 - 02/06/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

at grow stores there is a product that is sort of like fly papper. Its yellow
with glue on both sides you hang it around the problem area. Takes a while to get all the successive generations. Or you can maybe use some sort of predatory
insect like nematodes or predatory mites.
I also like botany peace

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #1286540 - 02/06/03 05:57 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i dont think you should spray shit on your casings , if your casing get infected i say toss it then maybe spray that shit around your room. and try to eliminate the problem farther up... and possibly place some of those yellow sticky bug cathers

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1286555 - 02/06/03 06:01 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i don't know what specific action makes this work, but used coffee grounds will drive them away . :smirk:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: deanofmean]
    #1286929 - 02/06/03 08:28 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Applied in which fashion?

Edited by Anno (02/06/03 08:50 PM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1287642 - 02/07/03 05:06 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

coffee grounds huh? That's interesting. But if it drives them away, I assume it will just run them out of the terrerium. They'll still be a major nuissance, but no longer a contamination. They would also be easier to deal with via chemical or mechanical means outside of the sensitive terrerium. Great idea. Have you tried this with mushrooms, or just used it around the kitchen or garden? If so, how did you use the grounds?

Suffucation, another excellent theory which one might be able to work out. Less messy than a candle, perhaps a co2 method could be devised. Seal the terrerium, allowing for some type of over-pressure release. Put a pitcher with a small amount of baking soda and vinegar in it. The co2 should fill the terrerium (I'm sure there are ways to figure out how much of each you'll need to fill the volume of the terrerium). The co2 should suffocate the bugs, and shouldn't really hurt the fungus in the relatively short period of time, if kept to only a few hours. This also depends on the respiration rate of the flies, and their larvae and eggs. I would imagine a few hours would certainly kill the flies, but I would bet the eggs would be pretty safe. Again, a very interesting theoretical path.

Since I don't grow shrooms anymore, I may try to culture a few batches of flies to test kill. I bet a nice mixture of old apples and peat moss would attract and breed quite a colony while simulating the casing environment. If anybody else feels the need to experiment, please do so as I tend to take my own sweet time getting around to things.

Anybody else have suggestions?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1287665 - 02/07/03 05:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i dunno about this suffocation line of thought. have you ever drowned a fly then resuscitated it with salt? (ok, so i was really bored). once the bugger is back up and running they don't seem "brain-damaged". i would expect that the gnats would "die" (more like cease to function) until oxygen was made available and then they'd resume their merry contaminating lives. just a guess, though. not to mention this would have no effect on eggs and potential side effects on your mushies (depending on the exposure time)

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1287691 - 02/07/03 05:22 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I vote for an Ivory soap solution in a spray bottle. 1/4 teaspoon per quart. Hose the casing so you wet the top inch or so.
Gnats MUST fvckin' die!!!!! I hate those little bastards.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1287713 - 02/07/03 05:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

^^ good advice there :smile: 

--------------------
er

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: Anno]
    #1288081 - 02/07/03 07:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i just dry the coffee and sprinkle it on the floor of the fruiting camber.
i haven't seen a gnat since i started using it last summer .
the soap is a good idea too .there is a brand called safer soap at the garden dept. its recommended for killing afids, spider mites, and whitefly . i use it in the green house . can spray or dip infected plants .i think it might work to mix some in your perlite for preventive maintainance .

Edited by deanofmean (02/07/03 07:51 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: vatoloco]
    #1288202 - 02/07/03 08:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Suffocation works (eg. heavy concentrations of CO2) but they must be exposed to such conditions for some time before they're realy dead, otherwise they may be simply reduced to a state of suspended metabolic activity. i'm not sure how long this takes for fruit flies, but it can take 24 hours with weevils and mites living in grain.
the two main problems with such an approach are
1.) prolonged exposure to extreme levels of CO2 or lack or O2 can revert your casing back to vegetative growth or cause a stall.
2.) while suffocation kills the living flies and larvae, it does not kill the eggs, wich can survive comercial pasturization, freeze drying, and vacume packaging.

BTW, AFungitobewith: nematodes? i am not sure introducing another (nastier) dung pest is the best solution, though i could well be wrong.

[Edit: debian, i should have read your post, you covered most of what i was thinking. about the flies, they can't be resurected, so to speak, forever after drowning, eventualy thier metabolism catches up with them and they die. BTW, Redhat is better...]

[Edit Again: Has anyone tried fly agarics? i have used them with success for fruit flies in my house in general, not to mention for regular house flies.]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (02/07/03 08:57 AM)

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: canid]
    #1288343 - 02/07/03 09:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

please explain how fly agarics control flies (news to me please don't slap me)
also, Redhat is for weening you off windoze.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: debianlinux]
    #1288382 - 02/07/03 09:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Fly Agarics (A. muscaria), when choped fine and put in milk (i know, contam risk, but i don't imagine milk is the only working option) attract flies. the flies (just about all flies) love the smell and taste of Amanitas, so they eat thier fill, become intozicated, fall in the milk (or alternative) and can't get out. because the ibotenic acid in the fly agarics is water soluable, they stay intoxicated untill they die. since flies who are looking for food have not yet reproduced, they stand no chance, soon the whole population is eraticated.
this use is actualy the origin of their nick-name.

Quote:

also, Redhat is for weening you off windoze.

na, it's just a recovery ward for shell-shocked BSD users.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (02/07/03 09:53 AM)

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

#1288402 - 02/07/03 09:57 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i wonder if something like A. muscaria and beer would work . :smile: 

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1288414 - 02/07/03 10:01 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Fought the GNAT wars & won.

Best bet is to not allow gnats into any grow area (no brainer).

Pasturize all substates WELL & do not store them where gnats can gain entry.

Draining a pillow case of wet pasturized dung, outside can self defeating. As the smell of steamy dung will draw them from miles away. The can actualy (IMHO) lay eggs through a pillow case. Once a substrate has eggs, in it. You are SOL.

Postive pressure air filtration of a grow area is a good way of keeping them out. If you can manage that.

2nd to Last defense line is an electric bug zapper. As in pic below.

Last ditch is covering colonizing substrate trays, with a polyspun polyester landscape clothe material (EasyGardener brand @ Lowes or HomeDepot 2 X 50 roll = $20), which is like a course filter disk material.

If you have an infestation in your grow room. You are SOL. They thrive & breed faster than you can KILL THE BASTARDS.

Best bet is trash can tek everything, bug bomb, disinfect everything & start over again. With every precaution you can muster in place. So the little buggers -- cannot get in.

6T (Mycota)

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: SixTango]
    #1289320 - 02/07/03 03:40 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I think the biggest obstacle is recontamination/cross-conatm. The damn gnats came from the HOUSEPLANTS and got into the shrroom substrate. It's a viscious cycle. Treat all the plants or soil in addition to the casings.

InvisibleShmoppy McGillicuddy
EmpathicSociopath
 User Gallery

Loc: Oceania
    #1289395 - 02/07/03 04:08 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Take a shot of any good ol' bourbon, put it in a shot glass or suitable container, and place it in the terrarium. They love the smell of the stuff, and drown themselves. Replace the bourbon until all are dead, and make sure to put one both inside and outside your terrarium, as you don't want any stragglers in your house to re-infect your substrate.

Combine this with used coffee grounds in your terrarium and they will(should) be out of your hair for a while.

--------------------

InvisibleMilletV
--intransition--

Loc: Rockies
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: Shmoppy McGillicuddy]
    #1290871 - 02/08/03 10:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

a clear cup of yellow (food coloring) water with a touch of dish soap makes a good trap.

I used to spray my outdoor beds with pyrethrum spray and it killed the bugs and didnt hurt the fungi.

OfflineTekNut

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: Millet]
    #1291371 - 02/08/03 02:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

One other idea that I heard about and tried for fungus gnats is putting a couple few drops of peppermint oil in a quart or so of water and spray the gnat infested soil. This works on my salvia plants but I have no idea what peppermint oil would do to a casing.

Best of luck with those pesky lil buggerz!

Peace,
-TekNut-

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #1293014 - 02/09/03 07:59 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I recently heard of soaking used cigarette butts in water and using this water to spray a problematic casing.  Sounds interesting but I dunno if it actually works.  Hey maybe one of you can go threw the trouble for me?  If it works I may give it a go :tongue:

IMO if you have a gnat problem then there is a source other than an infected casing.  A stably, moist, yummy casing is not going to draw enough gnats be a problem.  I have found that a kitchen for example with the occassional gnat can be devastating.  It is just an excuse for the to be drawn to a casing and thrive!!  I can give credit to my experience with gnats to a leaky kitchen sink and messing work habits like dung preparation.  Ringing dung spits the occassional stream of dung juice in the nooks and crannies of my kitchen and most of all the kitchen window sill.  I think ppl should take these in to cosideration.  Fly paper just wont cut it.  I have put the paper all over the damn house and all it does is fill with dead gnats but doesn't seem to help the slightest bit. 

Also, from my understanding once you see you have a gnat problem, you have already lost.  Isn't it the larvae that do the damage?  Tunneling up throw the fruit body and so on....!?!

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Edited by pleezr (02/09/03 11:03 AM)

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: pleezr]
    #1293039 - 02/09/03 08:07 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You can take care of that by cooking  what your using for your  casing at 325 degrees for 40 minutes in the oven.  I had a problem with  gnatties the first time i cased.  After that I cooked everything I was going to be using in my casing and have never had a problem since.  Uh... a word of advice keep an eye on what your cooking  because I once had a tiny piece of wood fall out onto the coil and it caught fire.  It filled my kitchen with lotsa smoke.  :smile:  :tongue: 

InvisibleMOE THE MAD SCIENTIST
DRUNK ASS NIGGA

Loc: Atlanta GA
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: mycofile]
    #1293184 - 02/09/03 09:10 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
ADMINISTRATOR

Shroomery. org

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST]
    #1293435 - 02/09/03 10:49 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I hate those bastards when out door growing. I tried everything but it's hard to do when you want to eat the shrooms.. gotta go bio freindly

have you tried coffee grounds around the perimeter of your beds ?
i don't know if bugs have noises, but i think they are repelled by the smell of coffee, onions, and garlic . just as they are attracted to the smell of shit .
i also have noticed less insects in the areas of the garden where we use mint straw .

InvisibleMOE THE MAD SCIENTIST
DRUNK ASS NIGGA

Loc: Atlanta GA
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: deanofmean]
    #1293497 - 02/09/03 11:18 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
ADMINISTRATOR

Shroomery. org

Edited by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST (02/09/03 11:19 AM)

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST]
    #1293602 - 02/09/03 12:27 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Slugs were eating eating up my outdoors, I just put some dishes of beer and let em die. As far as those damn gnats, Ive tried the candle thing and it didnt work, I also tried sticking the casing in water in the fridge overnite. They died but I guess the eggs lived bc they had more a day later. I got them just once from some poo that came with a kit I ordered b4 i realized kits were retarded to buy. Now I pasteurize my own horse poo and have no problems.

--------------------

Offlinevader
journeyman
    #1307596 - 02/14/03 07:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

At home depot, walmart and a few other places they have something called "misquito dunks". These are the same bacteria that is sold by some shops as a fungus gnat control powder. Crush some of them up and sprinkle it where the larva are present. And hang yellow sticky traps everywhere to control the adults. Your problem will soon be solved. The larva love to eat the bacteria, which makes there stomachs explode or something.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #1309978 - 02/15/03 12:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

if what you are worrying about fungus gnats in your casing layer laying eggs or whatever just add diatomacous earth. Im sure I spelled that wrong but it is phonetically spelled good enough. Just do a simple search under organic gardening supplys, Im sure you will find it also most grow stores carry it. All it is is crushed up seashell that you add to your casing layer and it tears the larva to shredds. Keep the fruiting room clean and the casings are all they can live off which kills all there little children and use flypaper for adults.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: durban_poison]
    #1310238 - 02/15/03 04:03 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

that's good to know .diatomacous earth is also used in swimming pool filters .
so it is accessible and relatively inexpensive .
and, since it is ph neutral, it could be spread directly on an infected casing .

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1310339 - 02/15/03 05:21 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This definately needs to made into an anti-shiteater TEK or become a proven method for the FAQ..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Edited by motaman (02/15/03 05:24 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: motaman]
    #1310347 - 02/15/03 05:27 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Posting on this thread gave me fungus gnats. Never seen em before untill I posted. Squished that mofo good. Hopefully got the first and only gnat.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: ]
    #1310352 - 02/15/03 05:31 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This stuff works pretty well and doesn't seem to f-up a casing, even post-pinning.

Practically, though, it's best to just squeeze what you can out of casings-in-progress and then purge. Bleach.

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
    #1311150 - 02/16/03 06:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Heavy Artillery but eco-friendly and worth a look.

< http://www.doktordoom.com/ >

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineChills420 version2
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: pleezr]
    #1313471 - 02/17/03 07:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I recently heard of soaking used cigarette butts in water and using this water to spray a problematic casing. Sounds interesting but I dunno if it actually works. Hey maybe one of you can go threw the trouble for me? If it works I may give it a go

I've heard stories about drinks n prison being made to kill people like this.
I dunno how true they r.
I know if a kid or baby eats cigs it can be a pretty big deal(i've heard deadly)
But I dunno anyone whos kid ate cigs eather so that might be BS also.

We have things here called misquito bobbers there round blue or green about the size of a ping pong ball( i've seen diff shapes though)
You toss them in water in areas that are really bad (slow moving creeks,ect)
They work real good but I don't know if they just run them off or kill them.
it might just affect the eggs anyway there not poision 2 fish or animals that drink the water. Might try crushing i up and mixing it with some perlite
screening a few times really cuts back on them thats they only way I know how to fight them.

--------------------

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Edited by Chills420 version2 (02/17/03 07:09 AM)

Invisiblemycophreak
journeyman
Loc: Europe
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: SixTango]
    #1316593 - 02/18/03 09:56 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Allow me to repeat my ADM mantra:

MYCRO TEK MYCRO TEK MYCRO TEK MYCRO TEK etc.

Best possible protection against gnats and cake hopping parasitic molds (you know, the ones who wait until the substrate is colonized with the desired mycelium and then grow over it and infect the other cakes in the terrarium as well in a matter of hours). Even if a cake gets contaminated, it is not simple to hop to the next when the mycro tek is used.

Yachaj

InvisibleShmoppy McGillicuddy
EmpathicSociopath
 User Gallery

Loc: Oceania
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: mycophreak]
    #1316679 - 02/18/03 10:33 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

What is this Mycro tek?
Are you trying to say myco tek, as in mycobags?

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1316747 - 02/18/03 11:20 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

i'm not sure what micro tek he's refering to, but i'm sure he doesn't mean mycotek, as that's the name of a company, not a bag tek.

--------------------

Invisiblemycophreak
journeyman
    #1317957 - 02/18/03 10:22 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I mean this

Yachaj

Invisiblemycophreak
journeyman
    #1317959 - 02/18/03 10:25 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

And this:

Yachaj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1317964 - 02/18/03 10:29 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

so it's an invitro tek, do you have a link so i can take a look at it?

--------------------

Invisiblemycophreak
journeyman
    #1317967 - 02/18/03 10:34 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

This is the complete explanation of the mycro tek

hippie tek

Yachaj

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1318044 - 02/19/03 12:09 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

oh, ok, i'd only heard of it refered to as the hippie tek.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #1868006 - 08/31/03 10:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

interesting thread,
very informative,'
lots of helpful hints.
the 'mycro-tek' was what i originally dubbed my invitro method
but the name never really seemed to catch on.
the tek can now be found here-
http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/18376.html?1039265527

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Fungus gnat control *DELETED* [Re: TekNut]
    #1868223 - 08/31/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: run to your local pet store. [Re: poke smot!]
    #1868773 - 08/31/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

They have pest strips for just that problem. They are fruit flys.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

InvisibleMilkVein
unsure
 User Gallery

Loc: total bullshit->
    #1868856 - 08/31/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

id like to read it

--------------------
I've been first and last
Look at how the time goes past.
But I'm all alone at last.
Rolling home to you.

Offlinechambers
Stranger
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: MilkVein]
    #1878759 - 09/03/03 06:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

man I hate fungus gnats and I hate their larvae worse
those skinny little bastards weasle around in your casing/substrate eating and transfering mold spores and whenever they feel like it the turn to pupa's and become new gnats. the larvae break down things they eat and cause them to decompose(rot) the bacteria/spores is then carried around on their bodies infecting everything they touch and the flies carry around the same spores bacterias on their bodies transferring them to wherever they decide to land. What a perfect name for these hated critters, they actually work hand in hand with the mold feeding off it and transferring it. I heard of some stuff called gnatrol? but I dont know exactly what it is. Did I say that I hate fungus gnats. If I didnt then let me say it again I HATE FUNGUS GNATS

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: chambers]
    #1879947 - 09/04/03 12:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

damn cunts

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: chambers]
    #1879970 - 09/04/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

damn cunts ...
that neglect tek (inbitro tek) is  TIGHT..TAlK aBOUT HAVING A JAR in RESERVE FOR ROAD TRIPS!! "so FRESH & so clean, CLEAN!!!"" :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :bong: :lol:

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

OfflineHelterSkelter
Stranger
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: TekNut]
    #1884421 - 09/05/03 08:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Just a thought,

build a seperate chamber onto your fruiting chamber, inside the chamber put a few drops of fly pheromones to attract the flies, then put an ultraviolet light inside, the light will sterilize the flies but they will continue breeding as if they werent sterilized. Before long, the flies' life cycle will end and they will have no viable offspring.

Edited by HelterSkelter (09/05/03 10:19 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: HelterSkelter]
    #1887007 - 09/05/03 10:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

SM-90 works better than Gnatrol

Offlinepen15
Male User Gallery

Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: Anonymous]
    #16887850 - 09/21/12 04:42 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

just noticed SM-90 is mostly canola oil YUK! GMO GMO GMO!!!

yes i realize now i just revived a 9yr old thread

Edited by pen15 (09/21/12 05:31 PM)

Offlinematsc
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: pen15]
    #16894379 - 09/22/12 09:07 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Not sure how well it will work with mushroom cultivation, but my preferred gnat control trick with my various indoor plants is "Mosquito Dunks". Those ubiquitous beige clay like donuts they sell to toss in stagnant water to kill mozzy larvae. Active ingredient is Bti toxin (the bacteria themselves are deactivated), same stuff as Gnatrol and a lot easier to find. Toss the dunk in a jug of water and let soak for 24 hours, and use the solution to murder the little gnats en masse.

Again, im not sure how well this will work with mushrooms, you would have to be careful about the delivery method, but the toxin itself is harmless to humans and shouldn't hurt the mycelium  either. It is only active in the basic GI systems of certain insects, forming pores in their digestive organs.

--------------------
My Trade List!

Offlinemorbiddoctor
Frilly fungal fruiter
Male User Gallery

Loc: seattle, wa
Re: Fungus gnat control [Re: matsc]
    #16898367 - 09/23/12 05:46 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

when i still had the space for alot of stuff, i used carnivorous plants to take care of gnats. they arent that expensive and they look really cool. they actually worked very well for me.

--------------------
Trade list Updated 12/20/15

Ranco temperature controller and Wagner steamer for pasteurization in trade list!

I'm looking for eyecatching, colorful, unique and interesting fungi. Not limited to edible or medicinal. Print them when you're on foray and pm me please!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag