Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshackman
Stranger
vents in my terrarium?
    #877403 - 09/11/02 08:46 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I had a Smurf ask me a question about growing him a house. He is mainly interested in the air exchange in his terrarium. He is using a layer of perlite across the bottom of his terrarium for humidification, and fruiting out of casings in multiple small trays. He had heard that small holes cut in the side of the terrarium with polyfill stuffed in them can create a safe and effective means of air exchange. If this is all true, what kind of differences will my little blue friend be able to distinguish between terrarium with holes and terrarium w/o holes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinebeaTz
bebopper
Loc: by the DJ
Re: vents in my terrarium? [Re: shackman]
    #877688 - 09/11/02 10:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not an expert  :grin:, but as far as I know, that should be okay. My terrarium has small wholes on the top, and it has never caused a problem. But then again, you may want to seek the opinion of an expert  :tongue:

--------------------
the music moves me, and i move it

Offlinedracon
journeyman

#878232 - 09/11/02 01:47 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Well there are a couple of ways for air exchange. The most simple being just fanning your cooler couple times a day. You could use holes, if you use just holes you would be relying on gravity so make sure there is one as low as posible and one at the top so the co2 can flow out the bottom, more effectivly is a fish pump. My freind has found that fanning is by far the best, its simple and lets you open the lid for much need light and looking pleasure.

--------------------
Support NORML

Offlinemarathonman
studento'shrooms
Loc: always movin'
    #878327 - 09/11/02 02:20 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

My dog has holes all around the top of his terrariums with no polyfill or anything.  It isn't a substitute for fanning, but I think it helps if he needs to leave it unattended longer than he would like  :smile: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
** Everything written here is a lie **

"There is nothing so exhilarating as being shot at, and missed." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #878332 - 09/11/02 02:22 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

NOPE.

small holes in a terrarium, STUFFED with polyfill is NOT ENOUGH AIR EXCHANGE!!
you will be attacked by various molds in no-time.

Stamets says that 1-3 AIR EXCHANGES PER HOUR are needed. This means that 1 to 3 times per hour, the air must be exchanged lol so how do you expect small holes stuffed with polyfill to be enough?

it seems to me that you are over-cautious and that can also cause you problems. when the mycelium have fully colonized the substrate, there is no food left for the bacteria to attack. the mycelium can handle contaminations because its a grown organism. while on casing, the problem of contamination takes the form of MOLD, esp. green mold, which happens when water droplets stay for long long time without the air that surrounds them is exchanging.

Kykeon  :grin:
athens, greece 

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Offlinemarathonman
studento'shrooms
Loc: always movin'
Re: vents in my terrarium? [Re: kykeon]
    #878340 - 09/11/02 02:28 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

you will be attacked by various molds in no-time

Really??  I have been doing this for a short time now and have had no contam problems.  :grin:

--------------------
** Everything written here is a lie **

"There is nothing so exhilarating as being shot at, and missed." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by marathonman (09/11/02 02:29 PM)

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
    #879012 - 09/11/02 07:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The small vents work best wtih a terrarium hooked up to a cool mist...
the cool mist humidifies and pushes fresh air into the terranium, the vent holes in the bottem of the terr allow stale c02 to escape more easily, no need for polyfill really.....

but then again im on my 1st grow and my terr isint even up and running yet, so what the fuck do i know ....

[hyp]

Invisibleshackman
Stranger
    #879273 - 09/11/02 11:32 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks y'all.

I intended to use the holes with fanning as well. Fanning being the main means of air exchange, and the holes as more of a supplimental. I still think I am going to use polyfill, because I have indoor/outdoor animals that throw no telling what into the air.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #879671 - 09/12/02 03:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Is'nt that awesome when you answer your own questions !!!!!!!!
"Knowledge comes from experience " "Experience comes from apllying knowledge " :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds