Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepodman19
hydrometer/thermometer from Radio Shack?
    #587367 - 03/23/02 01:56 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

i bought a hydrometer/thermometer from radio shack for $30. i was just wondering if this was sufficient for inside of my plastic 10 gallon terrarium. someone told me that they are not water-proof so it wouldnt work, but i dont see why not because i was gonna hang it on the inside of the terrarium to keep it up off of the perlite and water. does anybody else have one of these? do they work ok?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
Re: hydrometer/thermometer from Radio Shack? [Re: podman19]
    #587441 - 03/23/02 03:48 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

The main unit (63-1030) and the remote unit (63-1031) have a:

"Relative Humidity Operating Range: .......................... 25 to 90% RH"

I use 1 main and 2 remotes. I keep the remotes in the chambers (incubation & fruit) 24/7. I keep a tin foil tent over them to keep moisture off them.

Problem with them is they only go to 98% and that?s 8% outside of their range. Also whats the real humidity when it reads 98%? Is it 99%? 100%? 101%? Who knows. Question is "are they accurate if kept at 97% and below?"

I want the answer to this too so today I bought an analog hydrometer that can be calibrated. Anno suggested it and I do what he says.
I got it from a cigar shop in town, costs $20. The guy at the store said it was calibrated with their $300 calibration machine and if it ever goes out I can bring it back and they will re-calibrate it for free. I put it in my terrarium with my RS remote. The RS read 96%, the analog stopped at 76%. So as per the instructions that came with the analog I wrapped it up in a wet washcloth for 1/2 hour and it was supposed to read between 94% and 96%, it read 76%. I adjusted the screw to read 95% and let it set in the washcloth, it held at 95%. Still not satisfied I am following Anno's advice and calibrating it using the method found here, http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem/calibrateyourhygrometer.html to be shure. The analog is currently in a zip-loc bag and had 5 hrs to go till I know if it's accurate.

I will post my findings and comparison to the RS unit in this thread later tonight.

$300 calibration machine indeed! Just a word to the wise, don't assume because you bought a NEW analog hydrometer it must be accurate!

--------------------
Peace
Six

Edited by sixpac440 (03/24/02 12:31 AM)

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
Re: hydrometer/thermometer from Radio Shack? [Re: sixpac440]
    #587515 - 03/23/02 05:30 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

An analog hygrometer can be adversly affected just by bouncing around in shipping. One key in calibrating with salt is it only takes a few drops of water. Do not saturate the salt with water or you're you test will mislead you. If I were you I'd test  the digital and the analog at the same time, so you know exactly how far off your digital is. Also a fresh set of batteries couldn't hurt. I know a fellow shroomite who's weak batteries caused him to maintain his terr. at the wrong humidity for a while. Luckily he caught it in time but, it could cause catastrophic results if left unchecked long enough.
Just my humble opinion. Hope that helps someone. :peace:

Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: hydrometer/thermometer from Radio Shack? [Re: WakingUpLate]
    #587580 - 03/23/02 07:14 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

WakingUpLate:
Yes the vendor did say they don?t take being bumped around very well. But he also said HE calibrated it with HIS $300 machine at the store. He was only off by 18% or so. He had 7 other identical hygrometers in the case and they were all spot on with each other. They were in small zip loc baggies, I put in the inside pocket of my coat on the way home to keep it from getting bumped. The hygrometer I bought is a Credo as seen on this page, http://www.cigar-cellar.com/credo/humidor/page/p_hygro.htm it?s the 1-3/4" unit. The hygrometer salt test has 1-1/2 hrs to go yet but it is reading 74% right now. I put exactly 1 teaspoon in a plastic pop cap and added 5 drops of water from a small ear dropper. The salt seemed moist, not like wet sand. I will swap it out with the RS unit to test when it's done. The question I had was since the RS unit has a range of 25% to 90% and tops out at 98% how accurate is it above the upper range of 90%? As far as batteries go I purchased the RS units about 2-1-02 and had to put fresh alkalines in them so I doubt the batteries are shot in a month and a half. I have swapped my remotes between the 2 chambers and they adjust to exactly what the other was reading. Good heads up about the batteries tho! I will post the results when I get them.

--------------------
Peace
Six

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: hydrometer/thermometer from Radio Shack? [Re: sixpac440]
    #587758 - 03/24/02 12:19 AM (22 years, 29 days ago)

7 hrs later...

The analog hygrometer leveled out at 75% on the schnoz with the salt calibration. I put it in the terrarium; it?s been there about 3 hrs and is at 95%. The RS unit said it was 97%.

I then took the RS unit out of the terrarium and let it sit out for an hour to dry out. I put it in the Ziploc with the salt cap that I used for the analog. Within 45 mins it was at 76%. I thought that was fast so I took it out for another hour to dry some more. I prepared a new salt cap and put the RS unit and the cap into a fresh Ziploc, 45 mins later it was at 76% again!

As I sit here at my computer I have the RS main unit here, it shows the remote just jumped to 77%. I will leave the remote in the Ziploc for the rest of the night and see what it's at in the morning.

So far it looks like the RS reads 2% higher than the analog and senses humidity change much faster! Not too shabby.

--------------------
Peace
Six

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags