Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method
    #266088 - 03/05/01 08:24 AM (23 years, 29 days ago)

Sounds like a lot of steps. Many of them unneeded. As soon as I see people talking about taping holes, I know its an overkill tek.

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehongus
somebody
Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: ]
    #266101 - 03/05/01 08:32 AM (23 years, 29 days ago)

i dont tape holes.
i just cover the lid with foil. when you tape and pressure cook, a vacuum is created. and if you work on a dirty place, spores in the air will get suck in...
thats what ive noticed.

oOo

--------------------
FOR LEASE: Up to 400 characters signature lot. Single owner. Great commercial opportunity.

Anonymous

#266402 - 03/05/01 05:43 PM (23 years, 29 days ago)

I think the 10th step will be the most popular!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730

OfflineHerman22
Stranger
    #266758 - 03/06/01 08:48 AM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Guyute I think your method sounds cool... I am definately gonna try it out. I've found the microwave to be an excellent sterilization method, after using it extensively I'm not sure why anyone would prefer buying a pressure cooker to do this. Microwaves kill contams great as they hold the benefit of superheating the water molecules in a short period of time. High on 8 minutes is the most I find is needed to sterilize half-pint or pint size rubbermaid PF-style jars. I've had 100% success rate basically with this method.

OfflineKast
old hand
Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: Herman22]
    #266874 - 03/06/01 12:36 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Who knows, it may work, but to what extent? When you're ready to step-up and try new, larger amounts you'll be confined by the use of tupperware?

BUT, we all need to do more experimentation on the microwave. The microwave is usually untrusted by most for unknown reasons. We need to figure out the formula for its proper uses. Hmmm.. maybe I'll embark on an elightening radioactive journey.

OfflineGuyute
addict

Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: Kast]
    #266919 - 03/06/01 01:31 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Herman- yes, the microwave works great... I've had nothing but succcess... ALTHOUGH, I have only tried using BRF/verm and also flax and quinoa as components of the substrate... If one wanted to use birdseed, or other large grains, the microwave might not do the trick... then again, it might, I don't think anyone really knows the limitations of the microwave...

Kast- Well, if you think about it, you can fit quite a large piece of tupperware in the microwave :-) Its much bigger than my PC anyway... the tupperware I am using for this tek wouldn't even it in there... True, I don't trust the microwave as much as a PC either... in fact, I seldom cook food in it, just doesn't seem "right"... BUT, the principle is quite simple, it causes friction in water molecules, thereby generating an immense amount of heat (as far as I know anyway)... It would be great to get some of the more experienced cultivators such as yourself to help experiment in this department :-) Peace, Guyute

--------------------
The army's on ecstasy... so they say... I read all about it in the USA Today...
They stepped up urine testing, to make it go away... because its hard to
kill the enemy on ol' MDMA. -Oysterhead
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

OfflineHerman22
Stranger
Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: Guyute]
    #267018 - 03/06/01 03:47 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

I might try adding birdseed to my substrate the next time I nuke a batch... What birdseed/brand/recipes do you reccommend?

I've never heard about anyone trying to sterilize birdseed in the microwave before but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

OfflineGuyute
addict

#267054 - 03/06/01 04:28 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Try using Pennington brand finch seed (preferably without bird kote... I don't think it matters all that much) but any finch/wild bird seed would do... just keep the sunflower seeds low... I'd love to hear any results

--------------------
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

OfflineKast
old hand
    #267058 - 03/06/01 04:31 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Hmm.. That might be a problem, the birdseed would most likely explode and you don't want exploded kernels in your substrate.

Maybe we've forseen the limits of the microwave.

OfflineHerman22
Stranger
    #267117 - 03/06/01 05:35 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Why would birdseed pop kernals in microwave and not in pressure cookers?

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #267222 - 03/06/01 08:59 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Asking me? My guess would be microwaves cook from the inside out agitating water molecules would cause them to explode, Pcookers cause pressure from outside in. Just my guess.

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlinehubertd8
Pooh-Bah

Loc: springfield
Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: egolesss]
    #267288 - 03/06/01 10:58 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

aren't there plenty of extremely easy teks on the shroomery.

--------------------
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

Bertrand Russell

OfflineGuyute
addict

Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: hubertd8]
    #267396 - 03/07/01 06:07 AM (23 years, 27 days ago)

Kast- Never really thought of them exploding... thats a possibility... I have some old finch seed in my basement, maybe I'll try it out just for the hulluvit today...

Hubert- Sure, there are plenty of easy teks... I just incorperated a couple of them to make a real easy casing tek :-) If you want pure simplicity you could go with in vitro fruiting, but with its inconsistency might risk shitty yeilds... Personally, I don't think casing gets much simpler than this... but then, I'm not as experienced as many. I'll be posting yields at some point... only time will tell :-) Peace

--------------------
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

OfflineGuyute
addict

#269558 - 03/11/01 09:53 AM (23 years, 23 days ago)

well- I'll try to provide some assitance--

I noticed the substrate sticks a little too... the best way to fix this is to shake the substrate (relatively hard) when you take it out of the microwave... you might still have little balls, but thats about it (even if it does clump, it still stays relatively airy and colonizes fine) Also, you might try putting more water in... I use around 60-70cc, when you shake the substrate, all the condensation will be reabsorbed...you said something about a verm layer which makes me think that you aren't using the tek how I am :-) heres a few specs that might help--

I am using a 1 1/2qt tupperware container... it is about 5 3/4" tall with a base diameter of 4 1/2" , so above the substrate is about 4-4 1/2" of dead air... no verm layer is needed since this would make it exceedingly difficult to innoculate (unless you use one of those flimsy tupperwares with blue lids which I am also experimenting with)... I just poked four holes in the top with a nail and innoculated directly onto the substrate and shook it up...

This tek really isn't that hard... its actually one of the easiest I've experimented with... its just hard to explain :-) so the best way to perfect this tek is to just have people keep asking questions and me answering them... microwaves are generally the same in power and I have had (so far) nothing but success with them, I have a tupperware of birdseed that I microwaved about a week ago... I'll post results some time... Anyway, if you need me to dumb anything down a notch, PM me and I'll be glad to help :-)

Peace, Guyute

--------------------
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

InvisibleMushroomMessiah
addict
    #269577 - 03/11/01 10:26 AM (23 years, 23 days ago)

i've done similar tek before.worked ok.

--------------------
Come visit Mycotopia at http://mycotopia.yage.net
Also, for shrooms the easy way, check out http://fanaticus.com/hip-tek.htm

InvisibleZeus
addict

#269760 - 03/11/01 04:09 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Guy i am not sure but your problem with sticking might be the flax seed. if u used alot of lax then it mifgt have turned gooey as flax tends to create a gooey syrup when it has too mutch h2o. oh well good luck

peace

--------------------
" I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am. "

"Experience is the meaning to life" -me

OfflineGuyute
addict

Re: **EXTREMELY Easy Casing Method [Re: Zeus]
    #269793 - 03/11/01 05:09 PM (23 years, 23 days ago)

Hey Zeus- yeah, I thought that might be my problem too until ego said the same thing happened to him :-) Maybe (s)he used ground flax too though... but yeah, I will definately try without flax and see what happens... (now that I think about it, the same thing happened when I tried birdseed... but I used a fucked up vitamin kind that had all sortsa weird shit in it that got rather goopy when microwaved) Thanks for the idea

To keep you posted- I am working on using this same tek but after you sterilize, instead of innoculating with spores, using a chunk of a cake to spawn... we shall see if it works :-) Also, for anyone who cares, it seems to be widely thought that birdseed cannot be successfully used as substrate if microwaved... I did a batch using this tek about a week ago, I'll see how it turns out.

Peace, Guyute

--------------------
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

OfflineGuyute
addict

#270312 - 03/12/01 01:35 PM (23 years, 22 days ago)

By the way Egoless- I found that syran wrap dipping to be a problem to, so what I did was, after the container cooled, I warmed up the oven, pulled out the lower rack and removed the lid, then the syran wrap, and reattached the lid very quickly... then innoculated through one of the four holes in the lid... so far no contams (check out the oven-tek if you are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about)

--------------------
You Enjoy Myself -Phish

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags