Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Idea for an automated terrarium...
    #1892855 - 09/08/03 01:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Requirements of Terrarium

humidity - 92% (casings) - 98%(cakes)
air exchange - 3x the volume of the terrarium per day
air circulation - Pockets of stagnant air are eliminated, ideal conditions maintained throughout terrarium
temperature - 70-72degrees F

The ideal automated terrarium must be able to meet and maintain the conditions listed above These conditions are maintained in numerous ways. This will focus on creating the ideal humidity and air exchange by utilizing high output, four outlet aquarium bubblers. Two such pumps are required for this method. The first will be used mainly for the air exchange aspect (namely, the addition of humid air) while the second will be used to circulate the air.

Pump number one will have it's four outlet hoses connected to 3" air stones submerged in a 10% h2o2 / 90% h2o solution in a quart-sized mason jar. Each jar will be in one corner of the terrarium. The air bubbling out of it will be more humid than when it came in. This aspect, in addition to the perlite layer, will maintain adaquet humidity.

The second pump will be used to power four 11" long air stones (referred to in Petsmart as air "wands"). Each of these air stones will be below the 2" wet perlite layer. This will cause fresh air to be drawn in, humidified as it wicks through the perlite, and circulate the stagnant, CO2 rich air at the bottom of the terrarium (right above the perlite) with the oxygen rich outside air from both sets of pumps.

All holes will be sealed with 100% silicone to prevent any contamination. All hoses will be pre-washed and flooded with a 91% isoprophyl alcohol solution, then rinsed with sterile water to ensure no contam's come from the hoses themselves.

It is my contention that this method will fulfil all of the above listed criterion for ideal conditions for P. Cubensis mushrooms. The humidity will stay high due to both to the perlite layer and the eight bubbling devices. A good amount of air will be introduced and circulated. If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or anything to say in general, please feel free to do so. I'll be constructing and conducting tests with this in the next few days.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: lysergic]
    #1894220 - 09/08/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No responses yet? *bump*

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1894273 - 09/08/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

go with geolite/hydrotone/leca/expanded clay pelets not as messy as perlite and you can set cakes right on it

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: BatFly]
    #1894300 - 09/08/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking more of using this for casings. Can't you set cakes on perlite?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1894346 - 09/08/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

and if this is going to be your "ideal" terrarium that will do everything then i would highly suggest gettin rid of the perlite. if its a large terrarium then my guess is it wouldnt help enough to be worth the hassle of the big ass mess. if you are looking for a long term automated terrarium just go with a humidifier-only an ultrasonic can keep up with any size and do everything.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1894757 - 09/08/03 02:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think that perlite is that messy really (use a wet-dry vac to clean it out) I'm not sure if an ultrasonic humidifier would really get the air circulating inside the terrarium the way that 4 11" air wands will.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1894959 - 09/08/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Cool mists don't really put out a lot of humidity, but they circulate a hell of a lot of air. You could have a cool mist running 24/7 and then have an ultrasonic on a timer that comes on for a few minutes every hour to regulate the humidity. I've heard of a few pros using this set up in large terrariums and they claim that it works very well. That way you can skip the perlite/geolite layer and airstones which aren't really necessary with casings.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Demiurge]
    #1895138 - 09/08/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1895190 - 09/08/03 04:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

But Kush, he's using the setup for casings not cakes you geolite pushing cake loving bitch!  :wink:

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Demiurge]
    #1895387 - 09/08/03 05:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1895389 - 09/08/03 05:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1898156 - 09/09/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

geoshits still don't stick to your hands and and tubing and walls, and floors and nostrils and butt hair (don't ask!) as much as annoying ass perlite does. don't ask! anyway, you can also just rinse geolite and bake it to reuse it again. it's rinse and bake and i helped

oh, by the way kussh, i started going on with my bad self, and the strangest thing happened. my arms started moving in that old cabbage patch dance that meks you look like your churning butter. you know what i'm talking bought. straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange!

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1902258 - 09/10/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Perhaps, to get the air around the casing really "stirred up", you could even have some wands secured OVER the casing (maybe 3-4 inches over) and have them running, pump some fresh air right onto the casings, and make SURE they don't dry out?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1902333 - 09/10/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lysergic said:
Perhaps, to get the air around the casing really "stirred up", you could even have some wands secured OVER the casing (maybe 3-4 inches over) and have them running, pump some fresh air right onto the casings, and make SURE they don't dry out? 

don't forget a couple of holes on the sides for air escape or it will blow  the lid off with all that air :grin: 

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Idea for an automated terrarium... [Re: ]
    #1902380 - 09/10/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Where would you recommend the holes be placed at? Just above the perlite layer? that might make it so that the air being pumped in from the bottom (under the perlite) just pushes teh CO2 out of those holes (which would be great) and the air coming in through the water would be oxygenated enough to keep the co2 down. hrm

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1902432 - 09/10/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

my(foaf) followed magash's advice and put the holes about 1.5in below the top. he has two holes on each end 1/2in diam. covered with filterpaper. with the pump running 24/7 the pressure forces it out the holes.if you have the pod in another tub with a heater for temp control and the holes are too low ie just above the perlite the holes will be down to low in the second tub and it could be disastrous.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1903691 - 09/11/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

lamblancer - Did this affect your humidity levels at all? I have some filterpaper that is used for autoclaving. WATER cant' get through, but steam (water vapor) can. I'm wondering if this will retain the moisture in the terrarium

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1903760 - 09/11/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lysergic said:
lamblancer - Did this affect your humidity levels at all? I have some filterpaper that is used for autoclaving. WATER cant' get through, but steam (water vapor) can. I'm wondering if this will retain the moisture in the terrarium

i dont know about autoclave filterpapers as he's using the filter disc papers from Myco Magic filters and lids,ive heard polyifil can be stuffed in the holes too or cut up some face masks.
nah it hardly made a difference,he tried 1 hole then 2 and so on but it was like raining in there with 4 holes after about 10 hrs,so he put a bigger tub lid on it and has it tilted to one long end about a 1/2 inch and the droplets build up then slip to the side,its working perfect now.
he was advised to put 1inch diam.holes on each end but he didnt have a drill that big,hence 4 x 1/2 inch holes.
it will probably be different with different weathers and stuff but its really trial and error i spose.if your gonna have any trouble its going to be too much RH then its a case of finding the right way for your own unique situation,hope i helped.
ps:HE is my foaf

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1905682 - 09/11/03 01:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Did your foaf use casings or cakes? I'm more interested in the potential of using automation with casings, since they produce more quality and more potent shrooms (dung/straw). I guess my main concern, or question, would be as such: If no water is dripping from the top of the terrarium onto the casings, does it really matter if the RH is higher than "Recommended"?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1908344 - 09/12/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

just cakes in the pmp
he read that casings make their own humidity in a terrerium
he didnt put the casing in the pmp ,he has it in its own little chamber.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder