Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSyrianRue
Stranger

Witch is the best strain for a beginner???
    #1889994 - 09/07/03 12:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm thinking Hawaiian. What do you guys think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: SyrianRue]
    #1890016 - 09/07/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm thinking Cambodian or Gulf Coast.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: TM]
    #1890192 - 09/07/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Gulf coast is way to difficult for a beginer.
Thai ks is the way to go :smile:
Very easy fruits quicker than any other strain, it's the quickest and easiest strain out there :syringe:

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #1890304 - 09/07/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This question was just asked practically yesterday and almost every other day before that. Please do a search before you ask a question.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...t=1#Post1888041

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineMiNiSpEtZ
Howdy stranger

Loc: Droplet of water in a big...
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1890433 - 09/07/03 05:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I like equador it grows great in brf and verm

--------------------
Pain is your friend, it lets you know you are still alive. Over coming pain is just a question of mind over matter, if you dont mind, it dont matter.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: MiNiSpEtZ]
    #1890447 - 09/07/03 05:55 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Creeper is good, but I'm a big fan of Amazonian... fast colonizer, very rhizomorphic

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: OJK]
    #1890455 - 09/07/03 06:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i'm thinkin mazatapec very agressive and resist contams well potent to :evil:

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

Offlinejerrygarcia
Stranger

Loc: outside your front window
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: uneasyone]
    #1890610 - 09/07/03 09:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i used the thai koh samui super strain from THE for my first grow. if it was easy enough for me, im sure you could pull it off. they say its
"Its very resistant to contams, and is a very fast colonizing strain" but that could just be their marketing, i dont know.

haha yeah, and i do believe this question was asked yesterday, and it got a multi page reply i think

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: jerrygarcia]
    #1890616 - 09/07/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

During my pit bulls first few experiments they used Koh Samui quite frequently.  It really spoiled them.  Now that they have ventured out into new things, they are noticing that most other strains fruit signifcantly slower.  Also rebound times after flushes with the Koh Samui was almost non existent.  They barely had time to dunk before the next pins would appear.  It is by far my pit bulls favorite strain so far.  :smirk: 

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1890626 - 09/07/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

psilocybinjunkie said:
Gulf coast is way to difficult for a beginer.

Gulf Coast is what I started out with and I was successfull even starting from a wild print. There were a few contamination issues, but I managed to overcome them. I'm pretty sure that they were from improper print and syringe making anyway.

What characteristics of Gulf Coast would make it so difficult for a beginner? Perhaps if I understand those peculiarities then I might be even more successfull.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1890855 - 09/07/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

it's stubborn when it comes to fruiting...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #1890933 - 09/07/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I love this question. Does it really matter? No. IMHO every strain is just as easy to grow and fruit, with only little bumps in the road sometimes. Some strains are better than others, and come in many shapes, colors, and sizes. I love all the claims of super-quick colonizing and contamination resistance the vendors have on their sites promoting the strains. Pay no attention to this hype, but do check out the characteristics. Most of the time the rest of the description is useful though, so don't ignore them entirely. Look at lots of pictures, read lots of descriptions, search the grow log to see how others have fared with them, and pick the one you like.  :cool: (it can be quite hard to make up your mind sometimes)  :tongue:

It's not really a question, you should just say:

Pick my first strain for me please!

That's basically what is happening, and nobody really agrees. Just pick one, grow it out, trade the spores for other strains, and try them all. Then you can find your favorite and stick with it (if possible, there are lots to try and it's just as hard picking a favorite as it is picking your first). I find that is one of the best aspects to our hobby - diversity. There are plenty of strains, each with its own surprise. Welcome to the world of mycology, enjoy! 

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblecactusguy
ummm?

Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1890985 - 09/07/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well put ...ATWAR...

Offlinelaovienax
Stranger
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: SyrianRue]
    #1891001 - 09/07/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

B+ is relatively potent and easy to grow; and has the classic cubensis look! :-)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: laovienax]
    #1891083 - 09/07/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

lol... Genius ATWAR. I'm going to link every "which strain is best" post to this one :grin:

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: OJK]
    #1891423 - 09/07/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Im going to have to agree on this one, I'd pick B+ personally because I've been led to believe that it's the most robust, and a really heavy spore depositor if you're going to make prints/syringes but if your a beginner I might hold off on that (just for a little bit until you get some good growing results). But I'd stay away from things like azurecsens (sp?) till you get more experience. Just pick one and say FUCK it! It's all shrooms. P.S. I apologize if you know all this already, I'm just trying to help, and fight the 10 xananies  :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: :pill2: I'm on. Peace and good luck, Flux     

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: Flux]
    #1891757 - 09/07/03 06:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

this might be best answered by which not to try on a first attempt.

i don't have a whole lot of knowledge on strains but it seems that EQ is top notch in my book. also like LY. which ones should a newbie not mess with?

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: jumpship]
    #1891981 - 09/07/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
lol... Genius ATWAR. I'm going to link every "which strain is best" post to this one :grin: 

Actually, link them to  "The FAQ's answer on the question... But, you could always link them here as well, so they can read a bunch of people mentioning strains that they have had good success with. The question of "what strain should I start with" is almost as difficult a question to answer as "what strain is the best of all" (that question cannot be answered). Many people can offer suggestions as to which strain is good (in their opinion), but anyone can have failures, or poor results from a strain. Everyone has their own favorite "flavors", and one individuals favorite, another may think is a waste of good substrate. Not to mention everyone has their own cultivation techniques, and their own setup to control environmental conditions. All these can play a major factor on the outcome of the mushrooms. Because one person grew 3 foot B+ mushrooms, does not mean you will get anything that close. Your results can, and will vary. Take a peek at same strain/different cultivator grow logs. You will see what I mean.

But, I think this question could be better answered if there were more information made available about each strain instead of claims of fast colonization speed, and contamination resistance to cloud ones decisions. Now, don?t get me wrong, I have noticed differences in colonization speed and aggressiveness of mycelium, but nothing I could say is a common trait of one strain, or something that needs to be considered when choosing a strain. The final outcome is really all that matters. As long as your cultivation techniques are adequate and you have the right conditions, you can grow any strain easily. While some descriptions are correct in a sense, do not expect the growth patterns to be exactly like what is stated. For example: Many times you will see "extremely rhizomorphic" when any strain can be capable of rhizomorphic growth just as well as they can have weak mycelium. Size is another important thing to note. When you see sizes listed, they do not take into account the type of substrate or cultivation technique. A 1/2 pint PF style invitro tek will perform much differently than a large, deep casing with environmental controls. Temperature is also a factor. Most of the time you will see 74-78 degrees is recommended as optimal fruiting temperatures for Cubensis. IME, this is not always the case as some strains will perform well both higher and lower on the scale and are much more forgiving than that (most strains will grow fine from 70-80 degrees). The Hawaiian strain my friend had grew extremely well (and very fast) at much higher temperatures, while his Cambodian strain is doing great outside in the cool temperatures of the north.

Now, you have to consider all these differences, while looking for one that you like, and suits your needs. Claims of higher than normal potency should not be read into, and also will vary. We all want the biggest, most potent, and highest yielding strain out there, but I have yet to find it (and if there was one, there would be no debate). While the perfect strain does not exist, there are some that can be recommended, and some that are more of a "novelty" strain, or may not be liked by some cultivators. Of those that I have experienced or witnessed personally, these are the few I would say you can?t really go wrong with:

Golden Teacher*  :thumbup:
B+*  (why not, its been recommended by most :wink: )
Mazapatec
Malabar**  :thumbup:
PESH (some incorrectly call it just Hawaiian)
Gulf Coast
Treasure Coast (a little wild, but I think it is good overall)
* = On my top 10 list. ** = Within the top 5 on my list.

I really can not say there is a strain that a newbie should not attempt to grow on their first try. There are strains I would not recommend because I personally did not like them, but I will not get into that. But, out of every strain that I have grown, I liked them all in their own way and never saw one as worthless or difficult to cultivate. I would say everyone should definetly try a variety.

With all the strains making a first choice can be difficult. But if you do your research, and follow the Tek's to the letter, you will not fail. Many variations between strains, but in the end they all do the same thing. You can't go wrong.

Note: Sorry if I went a little long on this one, but the study of strain characteristics and traits compared to origin is something I am intrigued with. There is so much variation between strains it amazes me sometimes. The variation is the best part of it all IME, I like growing them and viewing them more than eating...  :blush:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisibleenacid
solid funk
Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1892144 - 09/07/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

werd atwar

lemme say B+ for life cuz the name is simple like grades, B+ almost as good as A+ but not too cocky...

yea so thats why its good

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Witch is the best strain for a beginner??? [Re: enacid]
    #1892187 - 09/07/03 09:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

lol.

I think there is an A strain (don't know about A+). But I have yet to try it, or see it.  :frown:

Note: If anyone has the "A" strain, please contact me via PM. 

--------------------
To give is to live...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck