Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDMBtheStone
Stranger
Good kits for new grower?
    #1188300 - 01/03/03 04:16 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey there, i am lookin to grow some shrooms. I've been readin this site for the past couple weeks. Well my questions is what are some decent kits available to grow shrooms in. I am willing to spend up to $200 for a good kit, any recommendations?

thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Good kits for new grower? [Re: DMBtheStone]
    #1188319 - 01/03/03 04:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There is no such thing as a good kit.

You are better off buying your own supplies and following the PF tek.
You will save alot of money and have a better chance of not getting contams.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1188321 - 01/03/03 04:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

With no prior experience I grew mushrooms using the PF tek. I wouldn't buy a kit if I were you. I scrapped all the spent mycelium a few days ago. I grew on dung, verm casings, 50/50 casings and straight up PF cakes and spent MUCH less than 200 bucks. Let me add stuff up:

24 jars $16
casing trays (bakeware) $12
used aquarium $7
rubbermaid terrarrium $14
4 syringes: $25
perlite, vermiculite, coco coir, isopropyl alchohol, organic brown rice flour, cotton balls, lamp, fan, drying racks, tupperware drying chambers, screen, and all the other odds and ends couldn't have cost more than $50.

Note that these are canadian dollars, and that I had no contamination AT ALL with what I thought was minimal sterility. Please don't geta kit. Do it all from scratch. It's way more fun and now I have all the equipment, knowledge, and homegrown spores to start up again whenever I need to.

check these, it's all ye need:

Edited by Roadkill-
Do not post links to Vendors that are not Shroomery Sponsors!
Thank you!

Edited by Roadkill (01/03/03 05:04 PM)

InvisibleMountainMist
Stranger

Loc: Seattle, Washington
    #1188400 - 01/03/03 05:04 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

As the other posters here say, kits and stuff ARE a waste of money. Most so-called "kits" are also quite unreliable.

HOWEVER, if you do want a quick and easy way to get started, I highly recommend the Myco Environment Bags from Sporeworks.com. They've worked for me and they've also worked very well for a lot of other people. They also have excellent customer service and (in my experience, at least) will replace bags free if you have problems due to defects, etc.

I know a lot of old hands think the bags are a waste of money, but if you have the money to spend and you want the convenience, they're a good bet.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1188496 - 01/03/03 05:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hey there, i am lookin to grow some shrooms. I've been readin this site for the past couple weeks. Well my questions is what are some decent kits available to grow shrooms in. I am willing to spend up to $200 for a good kit, any recommendations?

thanks!

Save your money. About $10 for jars online. $1.50 for brown rice flour from your supermarket. $10.00 for a syringe from Fanaticus. $5 for vermiculite. $30.00 for a nice pressure cooker from walmart. Total cost about $60 and not $200. Heak send me your $200 and I'll UPS everything you need plus a grow chamber and I'll have Over $100 of your dollars in my pocket.

Kits are throwing away money.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Anonymous

#1188773 - 01/03/03 07:13 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If you have $200 buy a good pressure cooker and a case of jars. Also a good steril syring from one of the vendors endorsed by this site.

After that you should have at least $100 left to follow any of the teks you want to try.

If you really want to get into cultivation pick up a good book (Stamets TMC and GGMM).

Best of luck. AWG

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: ]
    #1188861 - 01/03/03 07:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Good kits for new grower? [Re: ]
    #1188883 - 01/03/03 07:58 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Last time I ordered from a couple books about growing weed I started getting mail from orgs wanting money to legalize pot and stuff. I know they sold my info.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Anonymous

Re: Good kits for new grower? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1188893 - 01/03/03 08:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Growing weed and growing mushrooms are two different things, as most mushrooms are legal. I just ordered my books from a major book store in town. Took about 4 days to get.

Anonymous

Re: Good kits for new grower? [Re: ]
    #1189041 - 01/03/03 10:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

This is what I bought, i hope it helps

Two 66 QT Tubs for $5 a piece at Target = $10
Two smaller 6.5 Tubs for incubation at $4 a piece at Target = $8
Submersible Water Heater at Petsmart = $20
Air Pump at Petsmart = $15
The only truly expensive thing you need to buy is a pressure cooker... I ordered mine at www.redhillsgeneralstore.com it cost me $80 (including S&H) for a 17 QT Presto Pressure Cooker/Canner = $72 (w/o S&H)
Thermometer/Hygrometer (not necessary really) = $15 at walmart
The verm, BRF, Perlite, tubing, small tubs, jars and all that nonsese should cost you under $50 MAX
Syringes, find em yourself
So finally, the total comes to around $200, and this is fine quality stuff as well.. includes a big PC
It's much better than the kits online, which don't include much of the stuff I listed above
So for the total you can around

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1189315 - 01/04/03 03:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Hey there, i am lookin to grow some shrooms.  I've been readin this site for the past couple weeks.  Well my questions is what are some decent kits available to grow shrooms in.  I am willing to spend up to $200  for a good kit,  any recommendations?

thanks! 

Hi DMB  :cool: obviously you didn't get the answer you were looking for. like everyone else, i'd have to say that to get the most from this truly excellent hobby, you should jump right in with both feet and do it the long way round. maybe the first time you'll grow less than if you got lucky and bought a good mycobag for $60-80, then went out of town for 6 weeks, but the fun you could have..... :grin:

depends whether you just want to trip, or you want a productive way to exercise your brain as well...!

if you do get a bag, have fun and come back when you're ready to start growing them yourself - most people around this board got most of the kicks from their first ever shroomtrip in the eight weeks leading up to that out-of-touch night! 

--------------------
buh

Offlinechills420
Poo Pie Maker

Re: Good kits for new grower? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1189340 - 01/04/03 03:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Why don't u try doing some stones there very easy. U knock up the bag and leave it for a couple of months. Thats about as simple as you can get.

--------------------
Teach a man to make cakes he will trip for a night. Teach a man to case he will trip forever

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures