Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? * 4
    #12099484 - 02/26/10 12:21 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Recently we were lucky enough to spend 6 weeks on a small tropical island, somewhere off the coast of Bali, Indonesia.

The island is very small, with no cars or motorbikes - the only transport on the island is by horse cart and the island is covered in COWS - the horses and cows combining to provide a lot of food for a lot of fungus - and being the start of the monsoon season we were there at the right time for some prime hunting!

'Beach cows' with a view of the largest volcano on Bali in the background -

Of course, being a hot tourist destination, once again the mushrooms are heavily advertised - every restaurant and bar trying to cash in where they can -

The pans are sold here in banana leaf 'cones' that come over from the mainland where it's much wetter -

But, after some of first rain of the season, the island transformed from a dustbowl to a tropical paradise in a matter of days... and late afternoon, on sunset, I stumbled upon my first pan finds just before it was too dark to see anymore .

Now at first I didn't think they were active but after picking them they demonstrated obvious bluing when bruised -

So I excitedly got up early the next morning to look for more -

And found a reasonable handful -

My first thought is that these were P. subbalteatus (cinctulus) - but as I am aware, they don't display obvious bluing? These specimens blued readily, but it is the first time I have found this species so it is unfamiliar to me.

Here's some pics of them growing -

These were promptly bio-assayed and proved to be quite uplifting! Does anyone have any ideas?

So during the trip, I decided to go for a walk when I noticed a 'promising' looking coconut grove -

I had a quick look, and it was covered in these small specimens -

At first I thought these were Pan. cyanescens, but due to 'breakfast', things weren't looking completely normal anymore.... :tripping: -

After accidently dropping some (into my mouth) here is what the collection looked like -

And some close ups for identification purposes -

Here is a harvest of the same mushrooms but from a different location -

And side by side with a 'classic' copelandia for comparison -

Any suggestions??

These were the first finds, but then things started to get really interesting....

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

The monsoon started to settle in and the island got wetter and greener and mushrooms started to pop up everywhere - and I mean everywhere!

I managed to get some shots in all the excitement, but hunting became a daily ritual, starting each morning by picking the Pan. cyanescens from the front doorstep of our bungalow, and there were too many to photograph.

So the following pictures are in no particular order, and are just of various daily hunts.

Here they are growing outside our bungalow -

This is the incredible lady who basically managed the bungalows, with her own collection. She has been picking them for a long time -

I found this specimen seemingly growing from a piece of wood - although it must have had some dung attached to it -

A perfect pair -

An incredible cluster -

A chunky specimen -

Sexy cluster -

Mushroom pussy -

Usual morning walk -

Perfect! -

A great hunt - mangoes AND mushrooms (YUM!) -

Huge mushroom, huge haul -

Another day, another carpet of fungus -

Agressive -

Big cluster -

And finally, a nice day for sitting by the beach! -

Phew! You still with us? Now for the REALLY interesting part.....

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

Some of you may remember this post from a while back - Burmese red capped Pans.

These interesting variants were popping their heads up again!

So, following is a collection of photos of this interesting variant!

Whether it be a new species or simply an environmental growth factor is just a guess at this stage, but it definitely demonstrated some unique qualities that was unlike a classic Panaeolus cyanescens. Interestingly, this time, I found them growing EXCLUSIVELY on the HORSE shit.

This was the first reddish one I found -

And this is it compared to some regular looking 'Pan cyan', and two of the 'Pan subb' looking specimens -

On this big plate of Pan cyans, you can distinctly notice the red capped ones - they really stick out -

And some close ups of those particular specimens -

Here is a pic showing the variations of all Panaeolus species we were finding. On this plate is also the possible 'Pan subbs' at the back on the right hand side -

Another cluster of red capped Pans growing in different location (one of my favourite photos) -

Now these ones were like Pan cyans on steroids - they had the 'red cap' qualities to them - stronger stems and more golden caps - but in my eyes they were still more of a 'classic' Pan cyan. But these were also growing directly from horse shit, as opposed to cow or just long grass where cows graze -

Some of the red capped ones growing from a single horse shit, amongst a pile of coral -

And these very interesting, almost 'cube' looking specimens from the same small patch, in the coral -

Here's a couple that appear to be growing DIRECTLY FROM the coral!! (there's obviously a small bit of shit hidden in there) -

Fianlly, here are some close ups of that collection for identification -

Very interesting at least, and I believe these red capped ones are stronger than the classic Pan cyans, maybe just due to their overall size and vigour - but the bluing reactions on them are incredible!

Thankyou for making it this far and I would love to hear some opinions from the TI's on this!  :thumbup:  :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinepsychedelicSLUG
ovoideocystidiata protector
Male User Gallery

Loc: NJ Flag
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions [Re: _OttO_] * 2
    #12099569 - 02/26/10 12:43 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I am literally speechless...

--------------------

:sun:Variety is the spice of life!:sun:

Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: _OttO_]
    #12099588 - 02/26/10 12:48 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

I've got no identifications or anything to add, just gonna say that I am going there one day. Seriously. I am jealous. At your doorstep! :shocked:

That's just crazy.

The funny thing is though:
Firing squad for smuggling weed into the country.
Mushrooms sold and eaten openly.

--------------------
[

OfflineMet
Male User Gallery

Loc: Normandie, France Flag
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: chooken] * 1
    #12099649 - 02/26/10 01:05 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Well, that's awesome.

OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: _OttO_]
    #12099706 - 02/26/10 01:20 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:
At first I thought these were Pan. cyanescens, but due to 'breakfast', things weren't looking completely normal anymore.... :tripping: -

Hunting mushrooms on mushrooms is the best.

That being said, damn you for making all of us so goddamn jealous.  Even for those of us who find that many mushrooms, finding them in indo makes it that much better. Once I get the money I am going for sure.

Offlinexthrx
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: Met]
    #12099711 - 02/26/10 01:21 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Wow, nice job!

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #12100050 - 02/26/10 03:39 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

The cat's eyes are really yellow.

--------------------

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #12100138 - 02/26/10 04:45 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:
Some of the red capped ones growing from a single horse shit, amongst a pile of coral -

Either those are some obscure or new Panaeolus/Copelandia species or the isolation of the island has brought out some rare traits in a known species.

With the amount of variation in your collections, you may have more than one species.

Seems like you had an awesome vacation! Thanks for sharing the pics.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Offlinedicky21
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #12100338 - 02/26/10 06:58 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

WHat an amazing thread. Thanks for sharing.... :thumbup: :congrats:

--------------------

Offlineshroomgatherer
Connoisseur of the finer things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #12100379 - 02/26/10 07:23 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Wow, amazing!!!  Thanks for making my day by showing these amazing places that you have found and traveled.

There are some serious variations to those active pans:mushroom2: 

I have seen orange-capped active pans before but not quite as red as those unique ones.  Also the ones that look like cubes are very unique.

I wonder how much beer costs there?...because I would've had to wash that 'breakfast' down with some.

Did you find any cubes on the island? 

Excellent pictures, awesome report.

Happy travels:cheers:

The cats eyes are really yellow.

Edited by shroomgatherer (02/26/10 07:34 AM)

OfflineAtlantic Wind
 User Gallery

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: shroomgatherer] * 1
    #12100458 - 02/26/10 07:58 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Amazing pictures! What a beautiful place that seems to be. I bet tripping on that beach must have been incredible. I've actually seen pans like those red ones around here too. Very interesting.

OfflineSt. Chibes
Shermanii

Loc: NC
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: Atlantic Wind] * 1
    #12100598 - 02/26/10 08:42 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Amazing pics, amazing everything...I'm jealous....super jealous

--------------------
:pipesmoke::mushroom2::sun::quagmire:

Check out my Original Instrumental Piece:
Photinus pyralis

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: St. Chibes] * 1
    #12100669 - 02/26/10 09:04 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

The best thing about this is that Indonesia seems to give a fuck about international drug criminalization when it comes to mushrooms. I remember my uncle going there back in the 80's and they've been selling fresh magic mushrooms and all sorts of food stuff like "magic mushroom omelette" back then, too.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: BlimeyGrimey] * 1
    #12101243 - 02/26/10 10:53 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:

Thanks to _OttO_ I currently have these growing.  The growth on agar was especially dense compared to most pan cyans I've grown and more linear than the typical cottony growth of pan cyans (although this could well just be some strain variation).  In liquid culture they are doing great too.  It'll be exciting to see how they turn out!

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: _OttO_] * 1
    #12101363 - 02/26/10 11:12 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

oTTo is the pan master
thats crazy how they are growing so abudently outside your bungalow.... they must spread shit around there for grass or something.

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: German Kahuna] * 1
    #12101479 - 02/26/10 11:29 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

wow otto you are on fire!! very excellent photos. they have given me a new appreciation for pans. the only ones that potentially grow here are subbs and i think i may go and try and find some right now!!!

i am in awe of the beauty of that place. it must be just amazing to pick and eat mushrooms in that enviroment. are you sharing this experience with a girl friend or some friends? i guess either way would be wicked.

--------------------

InvisibleParkseerf
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #12102252 - 02/26/10 01:41 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Amazing, ive been wanting to go there for some time now and this just makes me know i HAVE to go there haha. Thats incredible, i could only imagine the beauty. Some very very nice pics btw.:thumbup:

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions [Re: _OttO_]
    #12102947 - 02/26/10 03:43 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Holy Jeebus!

--------------------

InvisiblesporeRider
Proud sporeRider :)
 User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions [Re: landsnorkler] * 1
    #12103659 - 02/26/10 05:24 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Got me :super::drooling: man!!!
Awesome thread - thanks for sharing your cool ass finds:headbanger:

--------------------
http://

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: Tropical Visions - Panaeolus collections from Indonesia. Possible new species/variant - opinions [Re: sporeRider] * 1
    #12103675 - 02/26/10 05:27 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Indeed an awesome thread.

The awsomeness is just too much!!!!  :aweoverdose:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate