Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Sterilizing glass petris * 4
    #20563394 - 09/13/14 10:09 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I noticed there weren't any write-ups on sterilizing glass petris so I figured make one and hopefully squash some of the misconception about glass petris in the process.

To start here are dishes I'll be using. These are flint glass, no need to get the expensive borosilicate (pyrex) dishes. This material is pretty much the same as what mason jars are made of so as long you aren't pouring cool water on a hot dish or something they won't break. You can get them in all different sizes. These were just under $2 a piece. The lids fit loosely over base so they can open and closed quickly. Some have beaded edges to help keep the lid centered some don't. Each dish here weighs 40 grams so they're a bit heavier than the plastic ones.

Cleaning out the used dishes is extremely easy. I just scrape any leftover agar into the toilet. If the dishes were contaminated with mold place the still wrapped dish in the microwave and heat it, should only take 10-20 seconds, until the agar has completely liquified, let it resolidify and that should destroy most of the spores (actually destroyed all the spores in all the tests I've done) and trap what is left in the agar so you can clean it out without releasing them into the air.

Then wipe with paper towel firmly around the edges and good as new. It can be a bit of a pain if the agar is very old and has dried out so try to avoid that but otherwise it only take few seconds.

It's important especially if oven sterilizing to get all the agar off, don't forget the outside of the dish, or it'll leave little black patches of burned agar.

To oven sterilize pull out a large sheet of foil and stack the dishes in the center.

The foil should be wrapped as tightly as possible. Then grab another sheet and wrap it around, this time with the center of the foil over the top so the edges wind up on the bottom side. The edges of the foil should pressed together and folded tightly.

Set this on a rack, and place it in the oven. 1 hour at 450F should be sufficient but I usually leave it in for 2 because I don't have a lot of faith in Wikipedia:tongue: Be sure to let the dishes cool before removing from the oven. The wrapped dishes once cooled should be moved immediately into your SAB for use.

Another method of sterilizing them is to pressure cook them. It's quicker and doesn't require wasting large amounts of foil or having to awkwardly unwrap them under sterile condition. To do this find a polypropylene container, it'll have the PP5 code on the bottom and stack the dishes in. This is what I had on hand I can fit 4 dishes in each and it takes up about amount of PC space as a pint jar.

I already had a filtered hole in these containers from previous uses. I'm assuming a vacuum may form without it at least if they're sealed. The dishes are wrapped in foil over the filtered side and placed in a pressure cooker. These were sterilized for 1 hour at 10 psi.

To remove the sterilized dishes place the container upside down in the SAB and remove the bottom like so.

Now you have some sterile dishes to use. As a note condensation normally doesn't form on them during storage but as you can see it does when they've been recently poured.

My little in vitro clone here :lol:

I might add these are ideal for making spore prints or mixing spore solution. They can provide a sterile surface to set things on, like the cap to the agar bottle. The larger ones can be used to sterilize and store cotton swabs in.

--------------------

Edited by Kizzle (09/14/14 02:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Terr...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: Kizzle]
    #20563420 - 09/13/14 10:13 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I would probably individually wrap them in foil then PC, but this looks like a decent method.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Robert Hunter said:
Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
    #20563424 - 09/13/14 10:14 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

:takingnotes:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Offlinekmetric
Male

Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20563526 - 09/13/14 10:39 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I've heard some bad things about glass petris, have you had any problems with them Kizzle?

Seems to me more people would go for glass since you can reuse them..

InvisiblecArcace-x
YeAh!!
 User Gallery

Loc: The Simulator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: tripdawg420]
    #20563561 - 09/13/14 10:46 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

:goodmorning: noted
i am considering using them
tired of throwing plastic petri in the garbage

--------------------

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: kmetric]
    #20563571 - 09/13/14 10:47 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Good writeup, if I ever get them this will come in handy :thumbup:

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: kmetric]
    #20564260 - 09/14/14 02:13 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kmetric said:
I've heard some bad things about glass petris, have you had any problems with them Kizzle?

Seems to me more people would go for glass since you can reuse them..

Only problem I can think of was a couple of them were cracked when they arrived in the mail. I'm not sure how, they were pretty well packed in bubble wrap. I haven't broken any while using them though and I've actually knocked one onto the floor couple times.

Also I have a feeling they wouldn't work well for no-pour but haven't tried it or anything.

--------------------

OfflinecronicrMFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #20564274 - 09/14/14 02:18 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

:rockon:
nice stuff and about time we got a kizzle tek:cool:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20564363 - 09/14/14 02:57 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Also I have a feeling they wouldn't work well for no-pour but haven't tried it or anything.

Sarah Tonin seems to have had some luck with doing them no pour but maybe she's just lucky. How are they on the ergonomic end of things? I have heard mixed reviews but I would probably do a lot more no pour if I didn't have to deal with retarded shipping costs, waste, etc. Buying those and reusing would get me doing pour a lot more provided they weren't a total PITA to work with.

OfflinecronicrMFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20564380 - 09/14/14 03:05 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

those look lendable...can i boorow some:begger::lol:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #20564489 - 09/14/14 04:20 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Compared to the improvised PP petris they're definitely easier to use and much easier to see through. Picking up these particular dishes took some getting used to. They're the old school kind where the bottom of the lids actually touch the rack they're sitting on. Supposedly it makes them less prone to contamination.

--------------------

Offlinestarsky7
The Sponge
Male User Gallery

Loc: Eastern coast, USA Flag
    #20564499 - 09/14/14 04:26 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

This is a good tek, what surface are you placing the petri dishes on upon removal from the pressure cooker? Are you using a flow hood or a glovebox? And when you pressure cook the dishes, are you including your agar mix?

--------------------
"In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences" - Robert Greene Ingersoll

Offlinestarsky7
The Sponge
Male User Gallery

Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: starsky7]
    #20564500 - 09/14/14 04:28 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

The reason I am asking is because in some environments, contamination is more likely to occur with long exposure to open air. I think it should be mentioned that the dishes should be moved to a still air environment, or a flow hood system as soon as possible.

--------------------
"In nature, there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences" - Robert Greene Ingersoll

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: starsky7]
    #20564729 - 09/14/14 06:56 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I did mention it with the oven sterilizing. If using the PP containers though they should remain sterile indefinitely regardless of where the container is stored.

The agar is poured into them inside a still air box after sterilization. I usually do it while the agar is still pretty hot since it kills many (not all obviously) contaminants it may come in contact with so it's extra protection IMO. It does produce more condensation when pouring hot but it goes away eventually.

It's not absolutely necessary but I strongly recommend setting them on some kind of grille inside the box. It makes them easier to pick up and you can use it to keep them elevated above where contaminants are most likely to get stirred up while you're working.

--------------------

Offlinestarsky7
The Sponge
Male User Gallery

#20564745 - 09/14/14 07:03 AM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Excellent. Helpful additions, thank you.

--------------------

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20565843 - 09/14/14 01:42 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
Compared to the improvised PP petris they're definitely easier to use and much easier to see through. Picking up these particular dishes took some getting used to. They're the old school kind where the bottom of the lids actually touch the rack they're sitting on. Supposedly it makes them less prone to contamination.

Great stuff kizzle thanks :thumbup:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #20565952 - 09/14/14 02:12 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
I would probably individually wrap them in foil then PC, but this looks like a decent method.

:whathesaid:

I didn't even individually wrap mine. I have 48 pyrex dishes. I would just wrap 10 of them stacked in foil and PC them for 20-30M. I just hate using glass dishes compared to the polystyrene ones. Even with my nice pyrex dishes I got for free I still by the disposables due to the ease of use.

definitely not worth the money unless you can find them for free

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread

BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: bodhisatta]
    #20568153 - 09/14/14 09:52 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

I did start off wrapping them individually but it really was a huge pain in the ass compared to bundling them together. These methods take only a couple minutes of actual effort. Not that I have anything against the disposable ones. If I had some I would use them instead I just hate having to worry about running out or having to keep ordering stuff. I'm also the kind klutz who could ruin a whole stack petris just by doing something stupid, something I don't have to worry about now. I if I do something I think may have contaminated I just toss it aside.

--------------------

OfflineTheCyndicate
Conglomerate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Haven
    #20568414 - 09/14/14 10:39 PM (7 years, 9 months ago)

great SHIT kizzle, The PP5 containers are the way i do mine !!!

Cyn

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing glass petris [Re: TheCyndicate]
    #20608201 - 09/23/14 09:43 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

I think in the near future I'm going to try the oven sterilization with glass jars instead of foil like the way the PP containers are used in the PC method. I have a couple glass pint jars I think the smaller dishes will fit into.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates