Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

are these cubensis?
    #999067 - 10/28/02 04:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I'm new to the hunting thing so please excuse me.  In a texas cow field i found a few mushrooms that resemble cubensis. The tops are dome-like, the spores are really dark purple, the cap is an average of 1 and a half to 2 inches give or take, and the top of the caps are dirty white, with a hint of orange.  They even smell like cubensis, but the cubensis I've seen friends grow have caps that are alot more orange in color.  Are there any mushrooms that are very similar to cubensis.  Ohh one last thing, I found these growing out of fresh (pretty moist and no grass growing on them) cow dung.  Any help? :confused: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: are these cubensis? [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #999079 - 10/28/02 04:21 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

any bruising?

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: are these cubensis? [Re: Dobie]
    #999089 - 10/28/02 04:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not sure.. the spores are everywhere. I used a plastic bag and stuffed them in my pocket and they got all smooshed together. I split some stems and tried squeezing, but I don't knpow if I am doing it right, plus they are very wet from the rain. So everytime i sqeeze they look to have a purple tinge, but I can't tell if that's just a really wet stem look or what. Any suggestions for trying to bruise?

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #999092 - 10/28/02 04:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

what you did was fine come back to em in the morning and see if there are any brusing was there a ring around the stem ?

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: are these cubensis? [Re: Dobie]
    #999110 - 10/28/02 04:48 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Did they have a veil? Well like I said they are pretty banged up, but the stems I examined are not conclusive. None of them have that veil ring on them, but it's been my experience that the ring is very fragile and may have come off, also I am noticing that some of the stems are turning greyish-purple at the paces where they have been bent. Are there many differences b/w the cubensis that are home-cultivated and the ones in the field? These stems seem less firm and meaty than the guys that are grown on PF cakes. Plus there is the color issue. Oh yeah! The caps are slimy. I don't know if that is there natural state or just a product of them being in the plastic bag.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #999150 - 10/28/02 05:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm gonna say they aren't cubes if you don't see any veils. True veils are very fragile, but whenever I bring some home, there are veils present on at least some of them. And if you can't notice a pronounced blueing effect, then I really don't thin they are cubes. Usually, they blue almost immediatly upon picking, and if not immediatly, definitly by the time I get home and sort through them. But a picture would be mighty nice.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#999518 - 10/28/02 11:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If they are cubies, and you cant tell from the stem if there was a veil, it sounds like the are just pretty damn banged up, water soaked and ugly. You wouldn't want to eat them anyways.

Yes, if you had cubensis, you would notice the blueing reaction. It could be a stropharia sp. They have purple brown spore print, w/o bruising. THey look quite similar as well. Do a search for Stropharia semiglobata and tell us if they look similar to them.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: are these cubensis? [Re: angryshroom]
    #999573 - 10/28/02 11:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

They look similar to semiglobata, but the prints I get from these are dark purple, but the prints and gills in the picks seem to be grey and do not drop spores very quickly. Will semiglobata grow on pf cakes? I was thinking of growing on agar to help the ID, would that help me?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#999762 - 10/28/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The spore print of Stropharia semiglobata is dark purple brown. They grow from dung and have viscid (slimy) caps.

um well, its not really worth your time. Doing it on agar then moving it to a dung based substrate would possibly work. I really dout it would fruit on a PF cake.

What do the gills look like?

In reply to:

but the prints and gills in the picks seem to be grey and do not drop spores very quickly.

How can you tell that tehy dont drop spores quickly? Secondly cubensis gills are
supposed to be greyish as well.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: are these cubensis? [Re: angryshroom]
    #1000132 - 10/28/02 03:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

you're right. The gills look black/purple. i don't know how else to describe them ( i.e attached , or not attached) I was just going to try to see if these would grow on a pf cake to see if they were cubensis. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I figure the cubensis would grow while other things wouldn't. My goal is to get a print of the cubensis in my area. I'm not concerned with eating these, I just want to get a new strain that is distinctly from my area. As far as the spores not dropping quickly, I saw some other posts where semiglobata gills were not as dark black/purple as these. The spores are on everything. By the way, thank you all for your help. i know a pic would have been great, but thank you for your patience and time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification