Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
Pvc vents???
    #997429 - 10/27/02 07:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

If you use a piece of pvc packed with poly fill and a turkey roasting bag..Can the pvc and poly be used over and over...Logic being it will be streilized every time pc'ed...Also would it be better to turn a groove around these so you could tie a string tight or a rubberband for a better seal...Or would duct tape be just fine....Thanks and peace....

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTerrazza
Stranger
Re: Pvc vents??? [Re: BlueJay]
    #997508 - 10/27/02 07:54 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I have reused spawn bags, rather than turkey bags, over and over again in the way you are describing. I fill the bag with substrate, and pull the edges through a 2" diameter, 2" length pvc cut pipe (I file the sharp edges down). I then slide the pvc pipe down far enough over the bag towards the substrate so that I can fold down the edges over the pvc pipe. The pvc pipe slides down like a ring on a finger. After I fold the edges down over the pipe, I stuff a tennis ball sized wad of polyfil into the opening, and it makes a breathable filter, and uncompresses the spawn bag against the inside pvc pipe making an excellent seal. I always cover the filter with 2 pieces of tinfoil, and pressure cook for 2 hours (manure:straw:vermiculite).

When I'm ready to use the substrate, in a glove box I unassemble my filter, and my jar of spawn, and I dump 1 pint in. I've noticed that the pollyfil filter wad is pretty damp, but I stuff it back in anyways, and recover with tinfoil. Incubate at appropriate temperatures, and you'll be amazed...

Turkey bags ( I think they're polyethylene) after heating are very very delicate. Whenever I used turkey bags (which I don't anymore), the straw edges poked holes through the supersensitive, ultra heated bag. I moved up to polypropylene spawn bags from Sporeworks or mycomania, and continued using the same filter assembly so that I could reuse the expensive bags over and over... I've never had a bag go bad...

I notice after PCing that the pvc pipe morphs a bit, but is perfectly reusable also. The wad of polyfill, since it gets so moist, seems to draw mycelium up through it from the spawn, so I never reuse it.

Good luck!

OfflineBlueJay
Pan Man
 User Gallery
Loc: Christs' peace patrol
Re: Pvc vents??? [Re: Terrazza]
    #997536 - 10/27/02 08:04 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

For being your first post that sure is some great info.....Thanks very much......

--------------------
Respect all, Fear None!
The Peacemaker

Cacti are my new life.....

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: Pvc vents??? [Re: Terrazza]
    #998923 - 10/28/02 02:42 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yah, i remember when that tek was posted.they used a section of a 30cc syringe for the same purpose. Mighta been sporeworks. I don't remember if they pc'd it or not. I'm glad you say pvc dosn't melt. May have to try that. i was thinking i'd have to use copper or something.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology