Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calcium Carbonate

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
FAE Solution
    #9974287 - 03/15/09 02:49 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Hi All,

I've been seeing and reading a lot about long leggy fruits with malformed caps as a result of fresh air exchange issues.

One thing that can be done, although it costs a few bucks is to add a container of lime to the fruiting chamber.

There are two common types of lime that I know of "regular hydrated lime" is Calcium Hydroxide (CaOH) and there is also Type S Lime (CaMg(OH)2) Either will soak up excess CO2, especially when wet. These are both used extensively in the plaster and agrigultural industries among others.  Last big bag I bouhgt was about $10 $CDN.

These are consumed in the process of doing this job, CaOH will become CaCo3,(Calcite, Limestone, or Marble) and CaMg(OH)2 will become CaMg (CO3)2 (aka dolomite) and they will become a lot heavier in the process, with the added weight of the CO2.

In a pinch, when you are having trouble maintaining humidity AND FAE at the same time, this may solve your problem.

When it is spent, it can be thrown in the garden or used to counter the acidity of coffee and other acidic substrates.  This second option may work less well with Type S lime as I have read that mycelia do not like Magnesium.

As it absorbs the CO2, it crates a vaccuum and brings in ambient air, which is only 20% oxygen.

It will be interesting to find out whether it si the CO2 being high that causes the fruits to elongate, or the absence of oxygen.

These are my random drunken thoughts for tonight.

And remember... free advice is worth all you pay for it...and sometimes more.

Feed back here if you try this.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Calcium Carbonate

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms