Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Newbie question: potency of shrooms with veils broken
    #9969534 - 03/14/09 10:29 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Hi there,

I know potency is genetic, but I've read that younger / smaller shrooms are more potent that bigger ones. In the case of Marijuana, the same applies: younger plants are often more potent.

Is this true for shrooms? I'm saving my 3rd flush for spore printing, but I'd like to eat the shrooms afterwards. Do they loose potency once the caps are fully mature, open and dropping spores? Or are they just as suited for tripping as any other shroom?

Thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

Re: Newbie question: potency of shrooms with veils broken [Re: fraggy]
    #9969567 - 03/14/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

fraggy said:
In the case of Marijuana, the same applies: younger plants are often more potent.

Not true, a well matured plant harvested at the optimum time based on trichome color will always be the most potent.

As for the shrooms, the general consensus is that shrooms are most potent by weight just before the veil breaks.

OfflinePOWAtrippinDiscord
Decidedly Undecided.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zone 9b
Re: Newbie question: potency of shrooms with veils broken [Re: ripperz]
    #9969632 - 03/14/09 10:55 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ripperz said:
Quote:

fraggy said:
In the case of Marijuana, the same applies: younger plants are often more potent.

Not true, a well matured plant harvested at the optimum time based on trichome color will always be the most potent.

As for the shrooms, the general consensus is that shrooms are most potent by weight just before the veil breaks.

I was under the assumption that the highest potency would be achieved by harvesting abort sized mushrooms.

I think the potency is effected because the ability if the mushroom to get bigger through capillary action is more adept than its ability to produce psilos.

However just eat the mushy and trip, I think everyone worries too much about this.  If it is dank, it is dank, end of story.  Whether the veil is torn after that is kind of negligible.  Just my .02.

Small pot plants however have NO potency, as they have NO buds on them.  As the individual before me stated, the trichrome color v potency is the best way to get the highest potency bud.  Looking through a 30x mag jeweler's loop is the way to go.

--------------------
Don't believe everything you think.  TRADE LIST

‹Sell Your Soul› You know this place is owned and operated by the Illuminati, right?
‹lsdwithme› i possibly just smoked a rat turd :facepalm:

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie question: potency of shrooms with veils broken [Re: POWAtrippin]
    #9970028 - 03/14/09 12:07 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

I agree with what you said above, but that's not what I mean. You didn't get my point.

I was speaking about the age of a plant, not about its stages the flowering. For example: a plant that has been given 4 years to mature (before being forced to flower) will be much less potent than a 6 months old seedling. That would be because the older plant will have used a lot of resources to grow that big, old and wise.

THC production is said to be highest in young plants, that are hurrying towards their sexual maturity.

Of course when a plant has no bud, there is only little potency and nothing much to harvest, you silly! I know something about growing ganja :tongue: as a matter of fact, my fingers are very green :rastamon: and I'm using a 20x mag to check my trichomes :grin:

Half a joint of my own homegrown blows me away and I used to smoke daily.

Edited by fraggy (03/14/09 12:13 PM)

Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

#9970053 - 03/14/09 12:12 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Who would veg a plant for four years? That's just irrelavent.

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9970093 - 03/14/09 12:21 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ripperz said:
Who would veg a plant for four years? That's just irrelavent.

Correct, 4 years is irrelevant, but I exaggerated a "bit" to make clear what I meant (since it was misinterpreted in the first post).

Losing potency because of veg time would make a difference for the choice of your indoor setup: if you have only one lamp available, it's better to put 12 small plants instead of 6 big ones. Catch my drift? :rastamon:

But this losing of potency is only "hearsay". Would be nice to have this confirmed with real numbers of THC %.

Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

#9970120 - 03/14/09 12:26 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

It's dependent on root mass, a large plant with a small rootmass will produce less yeild but not noticably less potent buds than an equal size plant with a large root mass.

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9970239 - 03/14/09 12:49 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ripperz said:
It's dependent on root mass, a large plant with a small rootmass will produce less yeild but not noticably less potent buds than an equal size plant with a large root mass.

Yep, I agree. Now we are talking the difference between total THC content and relative THC content. Of course the bigger the bud, the bigger the THC content. More yield means more mass and thus more THC... Best combo is highest possible potency with highest possible yield. Bigbudd x AK47 would be a nice cross :wink:

Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

#9970273 - 03/14/09 12:56 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

That would be nice, I had a jack herer x ak that produced some dripping donkey cocks.  Bud rot was an issue though especially in the damp winter time, giant buds can be annoying in that regard.  Nothing more heart breaking than breaking open a huge cola to find it full of grey mould.

Offlinesandman_130
Neo-Classical Spiritualist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #9970274 - 03/14/09 12:56 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

post in cultivation for better answers.

Cubes are Cubes.:shrug:

They're all good!:rockon:

Strains vary slightly in potency, something that would be very hard to notice.

Aborts are more potent.....but why would you want to grow a bunch of aborts? Just let the fruits flush and harvest them as they are.

--------------------
:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand.":mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

:sunny::mushroom2:Maria Sabina:mushroom2::sunny:

Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

Re: Newbie question: potency of shrooms with veils broken [Re: sandman_130]
    #9970299 - 03/14/09 01:00 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sandman_130 said:
Just let the fruits flush and harvest them as they are.

A shroom is a shroom is a shroom. :thumbup:

Offlinefraggy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9970355 - 03/14/09 01:10 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

yeah, we were going off topic here. But according to http://www.maps.org/old_forum/1998/msg00139.html: Psilocybin content drops rapidly when the spores ripen.

I'll trip on those shrooms after spore printing anyway, just to make sure we don't waste anything :cool:

Invisibleripperz
Strange
Male

#9970371 - 03/14/09 01:12 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

They'll still work just fine and the spore patterns that form on the caps of the lower shrooms are beautiful.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate