Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemycoprog
Modular Heretic
 User Gallery

Loc: N. America
New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet
    #9957932 - 03/12/09 02:07 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://blog.norml.org/2009/03/12/new-drug-czar-nominated-ondcp-to-be-removed-from-the-cabinet/

Well, some of the much vaunted and promised ‘change’ under a President Obama appears to be coming true in the formal nomination yesterday of Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, and the mainstream media certainly seems to be picking up on all of the positive and salient points about Chief Kerlikowske that drug policy reform advocates have been touting since his name was first floated almost a month ago. Listen to the coverage of the announcement at National Public Radio.

Meet The New Boss...Sure Aint Like The Ol Boss

Unlike the prior Drug Czar, John ‘Unicorn’ Walters, a moral crusader (aptly dubbed Bill Bennett’s ‘Mini-Me’ by the DPA’s Ethan Nadelmann), Chief Kerlikowske crafted pragmatic public policies and law enforcement practices that immediately distinguish him from his predecessors such as Bennett, Gen. Barry McCaffrey and Walters.

To wit:

-200,000 pro-reform cannabis law supporters converge on the waterfront in Seattle in mid-August for the world famous Hempfest, where adults openly consume cannabis and the hundreds of police present make few to no arrests (and where, ironically, alcohol use is strictly forbidden).

-Local law enforcement in Seattle apparently does not harass the artisans who craft and market the remarkable glass paraphernalia (AKA, medical delivery devices) for which Seattle is famous.

Compare that with Walters’ and former Attorney General Ashcroft’s zealous pursuit and culture-smashing symbolism of arresting, prosecuting and actually incarcerating NORML Advisory Board member Tommy Chong for nine months in a federal prison for the ‘crime’ of selling high-end artisan, Chong Bongs.

-Seattle police have a generally good track record working with medical cannabis providers, physicians and patients—including Chief Kerlikowske meeting with medical cannabis stakeholders about how to best implement Washington State’s 2000 medical cannabis laws. Compare this with Walters and McCaffrey who collectively spent 14 years insisting that there is no such thing at all as medical cannabis (often comparing it to crack cocaine), patients who claim efficacy or relief from cannabis as ‘fakers’, recommending physicians as ‘kooks’ and the majority of citizens who’ve voted for medical cannabis law reform as ‘easily duped by legalizers’.

-Rumor has it that Chief Kerlikowske has actually employed the term ‘harm reduction‘ in a sentence without employing foul language! In fact, under his leadership (and that of former Seattle Police Chief and NORML Advisory Board member Norm Stamper before him) Seattle police both recognize and practice the increasingly popular, European-inspired police/public health doctrine known as harm reduction. Two of the important tenets of harm reduction are concentrating police resources on so-called ‘hard’ drugs rather than cannabis consumers and needle exchange to help prevent the spread of infectious diseases–both championed by Chief Kerlikowske, and totally dismissed as ‘tools for legalization’ by McCaffrey and Walters.

-Despite publicly opposing a reform effort in 2003 in Seattle to make adult cannabis possession a low law enforcement priority, once I-75 was passed by a majority of voters, Chief Kerlikowske shrugged off the lost, embraced the public-health centric arguments advanced by reform advocates, and met with law reformers in the Seattle-area like I-75 campaigner and NORML board member Dominic Holden, defense attorney and NORML Board member Jeff Steinborn, popular travel author/TV host and NORML advisory board member Rick Steves.

John Walters on the otherhand would not even appear in the same green room with me backstage on TV news show, let alone debate live on the same sound stage.

Looks to me like Chief Kerlikowske is a real man…not a moralistic, lie-to-beat-the-band bureaucrat.

-Chief Kerlikowske’s former colleagues on the police force, cannabis law reform activists, medical patients, civil rights lawyers and public health officials all seem to recognize that science and ‘smart on crime’ (as compared to ‘tough on crime’ and ineffective platitudes like ‘just say no’ or ‘drug-free America’) drive his policing—not ideology and a twisted sense of personal morality.

With the recent report from a pair of WA researchers affirming that the ONDCP under McCaffrey and Walters obsessed too much on cannabis prohibition, and not enough on meth, crack, heroin…a decided change in leadership at ONDCP can’t happen fast enough.

Lastly, it was also announced yesterday by the 1980s congressional author of the ONDCP charter, no less and with sweet karmic irony, Vice President Joe Biden, that despite the best intentions of placing the ONDCP into the President’s cabinet in 1988, from this point forward the ONDCP is no longer going to be a cabinet-level office.

Whoa. Now that is change NORML and taxpayers can believe in!

woohoo!

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesupernovasky
Comrade
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: mycoprog]
    #9958021 - 03/12/09 02:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What!?

They removed ONDCP!?

Now THAT is change I can believe in. Fuck Reagan era bullshit.

--------------------

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: mycoprog]
    #9958040 - 03/12/09 02:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well... ill believe it when i see the policy reform take hold.

So far all this administration has done for me is increase the price of tobacco dramatically.

Im still optimistic, and will support them as long as they continue to follow through. They are still dirty liberals tho :crankey:

--------------------

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
    #9958045 - 03/12/09 02:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

While this is encouraging, it seems they haven't fully gotten the point.

Quote:

With the recent report from a pair of WA researchers affirming that the ONDCP under McCaffrey and Walters obsessed too much on cannabis prohibition, and not enough on meth, crack, heroin…a decided change in leadership at ONDCP can’t happen fast enough.

"Prohibition of marijuana does NOT work... so we're gonna focus even harder on prohibiting this other stuff."

I'd love for them to prove me wrong.

Quote:

supernovasky said:
What!?

They removed ONDCP!?

Now THAT is change I can believe in. Fuck Reagan era bullshit.

No, no, it'll still exist, it's just no longer a Cabinet-level agency. Unless I'm fundamentally misreading something.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

Edited by buddhabadger (03/12/09 02:34 PM)

OfflineKumara
Dragoness

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: buddhabadger]
    #9958727 - 03/12/09 04:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Why is it that the flag-waving democracy-touting patriots don't even blink an eye at appointing czars in our government?

Rhetorical question, really. 
I'm hoping that the fact that the guy is from Seattle, where I know of the most incredibly badass DMT-stoked d&b parties Microsoft employees can afford are held, will have a positive influence in the role.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: Kumara]
    #9959344 - 03/12/09 06:37 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I read this and it seems very good.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Invisibletravelleler
a horse-fart in a hurricane
 User Gallery

Loc: yonder mountains
Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: Kumara]
    #9959374 - 03/12/09 06:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So far all this administration has done for me is increase the price of tobacco dramatically.

if you don't like it then go grow your own  :tongue:

Personally I hope cannabis is fully legalized so even public employees, doctors. nurses, and machine operators can legally toke up after work and not be  sweating the random odd pee-tests.  If everyone could just get REALLY baked a couple times a week I think the world would start to become a better, more peaceful place.  I wanted to say something off topic but I wont

--------------------

"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: travelleler]
    #9959680 - 03/12/09 07:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Its a nice theory, but everyone where i live smokes weed (detroit) and im pretty sure its not helping people be peaceful (except for the legitimate medicinal value.)

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: rodfarva]
    #9959962 - 03/12/09 08:12 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't fully understand the ramifications of the ONDCP not being a cabinet position.  Does that mean it will operate more autonomously?  Norml seems to like this apparently, but they didn't really talk about how change will impact prohibition.  Anyone got any ideas on that?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #9960625 - 03/12/09 09:31 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

It's my understanding that they are the agency through which the DEA and other federal drug enforcement agencies are accountable to. The drug czar is like the chief of the federal police system and the ONDCP are a bunch of bureaucratic staff directing the officers.

essentially, the ONDCP could completely stop enforcing prohibition if they were directed to do so.

By the way, i just popped over to their site and damn if they are not clever about how they present the "facts."
Like this little gem here:

Quote:

Approximately 72.0% of eighth graders, 64.8% of tenth graders, and 51.7% of twelfth graders surveyed in 2008 reported that smoking marijuana regularly was a "great risk."

How bout you dumb fuckers show me some 2008 results asking a sample of doctors and educated medical professionals if regular MJ use poses a "great risk."

Oh shit :crankey:
  that may not work for you. Better just ask some 8th graders.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: rodfarva]
    #9960679 - 03/12/09 09:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, that just sounds like an ataboy for having an effective propaganda campaign.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAKSE
My bruises areblue
 User Gallery

Loc: Ak
    #9961314 - 03/12/09 11:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:
Its a nice theory, but everyone where i live smokes weed (detroit) and im pretty sure its not helping people be peaceful (except for the legitimate medicinal value.)

I'm sure it's not provoking them to be violent or commit malicious crimes either...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.  It's probably just because you live in a big crime-ridden city like Detroit.  Most criminals who are using marijuana, are most likely using a hard drug as their drug of choice (or alcohol).

OfflineDr.Myco87
Im a "Reader"
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of the greedy! Flag
    #9961356 - 03/12/09 11:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:
It's my understanding that they are the agency through which the DEA and other federal drug enforcement agencies are accountable to. The drug czar is like the chief of the federal police system and the ONDCP are a bunch of bureaucratic staff directing the officers.

essentially, the ONDCP could completely stop enforcing prohibition if they were directed to do so.

By the way, i just popped over to their site and damn if they are not clever about how they present the "facts."
Like this little gem here:

Quote:

Approximately 72.0% of eighth graders, 64.8% of tenth graders, and 51.7% of twelfth graders surveyed in 2008 reported that smoking marijuana regularly was a "great risk."

How bout you dumb fuckers show me some 2008 results asking a sample of doctors and educated medical professionals if regular MJ use poses a "great risk."

Oh shit :crankey:
  that may not work for you. Better just ask some 8th graders.

Don't you know... 8'th graders know more than any medical professional. And they have asked people in the medical field, they just didn't like what the doctors had to say. :foreheadslap: Obviously, they know more than the people who went to med school.

--------------------
"I don’t do drugs. I am drugs."                -Salvador Dali

"I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police."                                          -Keith Richards

"Reality is a crutch for people who can’t cope with drugs."                                          -Lily Tomlin

InvisibleveggieM

Loc: Flag
    #9962479 - 03/13/09 02:36 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ironic. Hopefully Kerlikowske can see that arresting drug users has been so detrimental to his step-son and millions of others ...

Drug Czar Nominee's Son in Jail on Pot Charges
March 11, 2009 - celebstoner.com

“In my own family, I have experienced the effects that drugs can have on our youth, our families and our communities," Kerlikowske acknowledges.

According to the Washington Times, Kerlikowske's step-son Jeff was "arrested last month [Feb. 27] for a parole violation and faced misdemeanor drug charges in 2006 and 1998" and is "currently being held without bail in a Florida jail."

Huffington Post reports: "Kerlikowske, 39, has a criminal record dating back to 1994 with serious charges including theft, battery, cruelty to animals and assault with a deadly weapon. Yet these crimes against living things and property aren't as likely to raise the eyebrows of the drug prohibitionists as Kerlikowske's multiple charges over the years involving marijuana, including possession and intent to distribute."

Kerlikowkse tells the Daily News about Jeff: "It's been well over a decade since I saw him or spoke to him. I think I'll leave it at that."

Former Seattle Police Chief Norm Stamper says about his successor: "Also worth noting are the personal struggles Kerlikowske has undergone with substance abuse in his own family. Hopefully, his stepson's drug arrests have helped him to realize that making drugs illegal does nothing to solve substance abuse problems, and usually only makes them worse."

Kerlikowske's Drug Czar nomination has to be approved by the Senate.

OfflineDrizzt396
Stranger
Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: buddhabadger]
    #9968522 - 03/14/09 05:00 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

buddhabadger said:
No, no, it'll still exist, it's just no longer a Cabinet-level agency. Unless I'm fundamentally misreading something.

Meh, with the exception of Homeland Security (which, even after 7.5 years now, still has absolutely nothing besides it's cabinet-level secretary), basically the distinction you make is a minor one. If the head of the agency doesn't have essentially direct and unlimited access to the president, not to mention the apparatus that shapes the president's policy, then it will accomplish little to nothing. Witness Richard Clarke's efforts to get Bush to take bin Laden seriously pre-9/11. Not cabinet level, not happening.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: New Drug Czar Nominated; ONDCP To Be Removed From The Cabinet [Re: Drizzt396]
    #9969114 - 03/14/09 10:09 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

"Former Seattle Police Chief Norm Stamper says about his successor: "Also worth noting are the personal struggles Kerlikowske has undergone with substance abuse in his own family. Hopefully, his stepson's drug arrests have helped him to realize that making drugs illegal does nothing to solve substance abuse problems, and usually only makes them worse.""

Kewl line.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service