Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

Loc: Eire Flag
liquid culture question ??
    #9958026 - 03/12/09 12:25 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

ok folks,
          i am trying my hand at making my first liquid culture.
i am gonna use the method in the link below.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5238137/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

my question is:
does liquid culture have to breathe, and if so could i modify the lid in such a way that i can do so ??

my reason for this question is because i do not feel comfortable with just the foil over the lid with the hole open. i feel this would leave the culture open to contam

please tell me what you think ??

--------------------
next time i order a pizza i'm gonna ask them to cut it into 6 slices instead of 8, because i was'nt fit for 8 the last time !!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDarkLotus
Its All Sunshine...
Male

Loc: Right next to the Beach, ...
Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: niall_b73]
    #9958037 - 03/12/09 12:28 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I just double foil mine.. The first foil I wrap around the jar a little bit tighter then the second piece of foil. Seems to be working effectively.

--------------------
"keep your schnoz clean ears open choppers zipped up
food clothes medicine 'cuz hungry naked sick sucks"

-Aesop Rock

"Walk through the time flux hand and hand with clear mind
Thoughts are harmonious like the rhythm of wind chimes"

-Twiztid

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #9958085 - 03/12/09 12:34 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Without an air supply of some sort the mycelium will grow some, then stall out due to lack of oxygen.

So you've got two options.  One is to provide for filtered gas exchange, the other is to inject flame sterilized air.

I do all my lids (grain jars, lc's, etc) the same basic way:

Injection port + tyvek glued down over an air hole.

Little bit extra work, but they're re-usable and no fuss.

You can suck in air through a flame (slowly) into a clean syringe, then inject that into the LC jar and shake/swirl well.

It seemed like I needed to inject 20-30cc of air into a pint sized jar to get any significant growth and it would only last 2-3 days then stop growing again.

I did some comparisons awhile back and came to the conclusion that "sugar in the raw" was the cheapest, easiest sugar that produced good results to use in an LC. 

So I'd recommend that over honey, although I'm sure some people would disagree.  The sugar in the raw produces little to no discoloration or sediment and the mycelium grows well in it :-D

Plus it's already premeasured for you, 1 packet of sugar per 1 cup of water.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: DarkLotus]
    #9958092 - 03/12/09 12:35 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

LC needs gas exchange - a layer of tyvek on your jar will work fine.

FYI, inoculating a jar of LC with spores is a terrible way to go about making cultures. You have a pretty high chance of contamination and could waste a lot of time inoculating jars only to find out that they're growing mold instead of mushroom mycelium.

Don't get me wrong, LC made in this fashion will *work*, but there's a lot of potential for failure.

If you've got a pressure cooker and you're using grains, follow the tek for Grain LC in my signature.

Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: DarkLotus]
    #9958101 - 03/12/09 12:36 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

i just did this for my first lc too two weeks ago. If you do it in a sterile env and first, you should be fine, i just have my sitting with one layer of foil and its been fine.

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9958116 - 03/12/09 12:39 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:
Without an air supply of some sort the mycelium will grow some, then stall out due to lack of oxygen.

So you've got two options.  One is to provide for filtered gas exchange, the other is to inject flame sterilized air.

You can suck in air through a flame (slowly) into a clean syringe, then inject that into the LC jar and shake/swirl well.

It seemed like I needed to inject 20-30cc of air into a pint sized jar to get any significant growth and it would only last 2-3 days then stop growing again.

I did some comparisons awhile back and came to the conclusion that "sugar in the raw" was the cheapest, easiest sugar that produced good results to use in an LC. 

So I'd recommend that over honey, although I'm sure some people would disagree.  The sugar in the raw produces little to no discoloration or sediment and the mycelium grows well in it :-D

So when you glue the tyvek over the air hole, are you careful not to get the lc near the tyvek for fear of wicking in contams? I want to know! And that sugar in the raw recipe is cool.

I use a hole with polyfill in it. Do you think it's enough for gas exchange to avoid stalling growth?

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: chobumms]
    #9958150 - 03/12/09 12:45 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Two words. micropore tape

Put a hole in the lid big enough for the needle. Put micropore tape over hole, put foil over the top of the jar, pressure cook/steam. Once it's cooled down, take the foil off the jar, and use an alcohol soaked cotton ball or paper towel and wipe down the micropore tape, then inject through that (with a flame sterilized/alcohol sterilized needle) and put a new piece of micropore tape right over top of the hole.

Check it in a few days you should see some growth

edit: Forgot to add, you can get micropore tape fuckin all over the place. Any walmart pharmacy or large grocery store will definately have it. Look for paper tape in the first aid section.

Edited by sh4d0ws (03/12/09 12:46 PM)

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: Brennus]
    #9958159 - 03/12/09 12:45 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

cheers for that info.

i'm making it from a syringe i knocked up a few days ago not the spore print.
i think i will go with the double foil until i can get my hands on some tyvec and then i shall try a another lc using the tyvec.

i have already a few cakes innoc'ed from the same syringe so if they grow ok ie: without contams. would that not be a sign that the lc should be ok ??

--------------------
next time i order a pizza i'm gonna ask them to cut it into 6 slices instead of 8, because i was'nt fit for 8 the last time !!

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9958182 - 03/12/09 12:49 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

i love the sound of the micropore tape but also read somewhere on here that if it gets wet it is a magnet for contams ??

--------------------

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9958200 - 03/12/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

niall_b73 said:
i love the sound of the micropore tape but also read somewhere on here that if it gets wet it is a magnet for contams ??

Any filter material (synthetic filter disc, polyfil, tyvek, micropore tape, vermiculite) that gets wet will wick in contaminants.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: Brennus]
    #9958323 - 03/12/09 01:13 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Here's how I make lid filters:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9550279

As for the LC: 2g honey & 100ml water, PC at 15psi for 15 minutes. Let cool and inoculate through the injection port.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: dead]
    #9958334 - 03/12/09 01:17 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

You can use polyfil lids, with coffee filter dust covers also. Just make sure to only make the Lc half the jar or 3/4 soo the myc doesnt start growing up the polyfil.

--------------------

OfflineJayBrasco
Goodwill Shroomin'
 User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9958395 - 03/12/09 01:29 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

sometimes your jars can fall or tilt causing the lc to wet the gas exchange filter which is a troublemaker.

you can use tyvek polyfill micropore tape and if your broke, Coffee filter....

micropore is messy, the glue is messy and a hassle if you want to reuse your jars.

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9958424 - 03/12/09 01:36 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

would elostaplast do ??

it is all i can get @ the moment

dead i like ur idea of cutting the syringe, i'll give that 1 at a later date

--------------------

Offlinemcsteev
Stranger
Male

Loc: Canada
    #9958673 - 03/12/09 02:29 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Try band aids.

Offlinecdubbz111
Psycho for hire
 User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: mcsteev]
    #9958839 - 03/12/09 03:00 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I made this a while back it works well, just follow the link 

Band-aids dont work well RR has said it many times and ive proved it with a contam, they dont last and dont breathe well.

Follow the link, its a light Karo tech but works great.
Good luck, and other questions PM me i have 7 diff strains goin right now in LC and can answer damn near any questions you have bout em...

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: cdubbz111]
    #9959130 - 03/12/09 03:59 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Making injection ports is easy. You make a small hole in the lid, add a blob of silicone gel on both sides of the hole. Any silicone will do. It's not messy, it will self heal and you can re-use it as many times as you want.

I make injection ports to all my grain and LC jars. Also I use the 2-sided micropore filters, as described in the link I posted: as there are actually 2 filters, one on the inside & one on the outside, it doesn't matter if the one on the inside gets wet from the LC - the one on the outside will keep contams away until the inside filter dries.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: dead]
    #9959146 - 03/12/09 04:02 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

I tried micropore tape, but I'm not a big fan of it.  It does work, but it's messy and has to be replaced.

So far (3 or 4 cycles) I haven't had to replace any tyvek patches.

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9959838 - 03/12/09 05:52 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

nice 1 lads valued info :thumbup:

now my other dilema is weather to just fruit the cakes into the fc or to case them, i have been thinking about the coco coir onits own or with verm ??

wot u all think

--------------------

Edited by niall_b73 (03/12/09 05:56 PM)

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
    #9959998 - 03/12/09 06:17 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

i think i will go with the double foil until i can get my hands on some tyvec and then i shall try a another lc using the tyvec.

In the states, you can get tyvec in any post office for free, but since your location says "Eire" you can be in either Ireland or Canada, so it may not apply. 

I also use tyvec.  It works nice!  :grin:

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: kiyote]
    #9960009 - 03/12/09 06:19 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

kiyote said:
Quote:

In the states, you can get tyvec in any post office for free, but since your location says "Eire" you can be in either Ireland or Canada, so it may not apply. 

I also use tyvec.  It works nice!  :grin:

when you say you can get it in the postoffice what do you mean ie:
what is its purpose/used for ??

--------------------

Offlinecdubbz111
Psycho for hire
 User Gallery

#9963281 - 03/13/09 04:38 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

you should use coir verm a bit of gypsum and spent coffee grounds... thats what i use and it works wonders

--------------------

Invisibleshponglecybin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9963328 - 03/13/09 05:21 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

cdubbz111 said:
you should use coir verm a bit of gypsum and spent coffee grounds... thats what i use and it works wonders

I'm guessing any plasters that stick well that you can breath thru would work,maybe the plasters that come in a role,like tape,the one you have to cut with scissors would do the job.
but then I'm just guessing as Ive never done this and am always on the look out for what the UK version of things are.

I'm attempting my first lc tonight,i don't have any plaster tape or silicone so I'm just gona have a tiny injection point in the top of my jar lid with a layer of foil on top,i don't expect this to last forever,but if i get a week out of it after full colonization it will be enough to inoculate a shit load of jars and make a few more lc,s for the next batch.

its a pity their isn't a section of this site for European or UK growers showing our equivalent to what gets used in the us,it would make following techs a whole lot easyer,the amount of times i have hunted the shops for some product or another only to find they either don't sell it in the UK or it comes under a totally different name or comes from a different type of shop for other uses to what its used for in the us.
when i first started following techs for spice extraction it took me months to find everything i needed only to find i had it all under my nose all the time,just i was searching with the wrong names for stuff.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: shponglecybin]
    #9963351 - 03/13/09 05:39 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

You can get silicone gel from hardware stores. Micropore tape from the pharmacy. They're not expensive, and with LC:s sterility is an issue since you can not tell if it's viable by appearance, you will have to try it out to know.

--------------------

Links:

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: shponglecybin]
    #9963452 - 03/13/09 06:38 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

shponglecybin said:
Quote:

cdubbz111 said:

I'm guessing any plasters that stick well that you can breath thru would work,maybe the plasters that come in a role,like tape,the one you have to cut with scissors would do the job.
but then I'm just guessing as Ive never done this and am always on the look out for what the UK version of things are.

i no here in the uk micropore tape is called "surgical tape" it is white tape kinda clothy in texture and they use it to stick bandages with it can be bought in any chemist.

cdubbz111, would you have measurements/amounts that you mix your casing to??

shponglecybin, good luck with your culture

now i have also purchased a mini green house, i'm gonna keep it in my bedroom, but ne ideas on how i could keep up humidity in it ??

i hoe to get batterys  for my camera later so i will be able to post a few pics

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9963545 - 03/13/09 07:29 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

this is a link to the little green house i purchased:
http://www.tradeindia.com/selloffer/1653605/Mini-Greenhouse.html?source=rss-lead

so would it be good enough on its own if i just fanned & misted a few times a day if i were to use it as a fc ??

would it hold humidity alright ??

what modifications could i do to it ??

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9964058 - 03/13/09 10:30 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

here are some pics of the gear i am on about:

the liquid culture i knocked up last nite

the mini greenhouse i have bought today

and again

--------------------

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#9965724 - 03/13/09 03:59 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

when you say you can get it in the postoffice what do you mean ie:
what is its purpose/used for ??

The Priority Mailing envelopes are made out of Tyvek.  They even say "Tyvek" in the upper corner.  If you can get them, make sure they're the priority and not the Express, which supposedly are part paper.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9965755 - 03/13/09 04:05 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

I picked up a suit of this from home depot for about $10.

I've done easily 100+ lids with it and haven't even used up a whole sleeve yet.

It's technically not tyvek, but the specs on it are consistent with tyvek and supposedly it's a little more breathable which helps keep jars from stalling out. 

My half gallon jar does really well with it, colonized faster then pint jars, granted I used like 7cc of LC, but lc is cheap.

--------------------

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#9967442 - 03/13/09 10:26 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:
I picked up a suit of this from home depot for about $10.

I've done easily 100+ lids with it and haven't even used up a whole sleeve yet.

It's technically not tyvek, but the specs on it are consistent with tyvek and supposedly it's a little more breathable which helps keep jars from stalling out. 

My half gallon jar does really well with it, colonized faster then pint jars, granted I used like 7cc of LC, but lc is cheap.

That suit's awesome!  xD 

Also, does that half gallon jar work well for you?  I'm thinking about moving up from quarts, but... :shrug:

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9968968 - 03/14/09 07:15 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah it works great, the main thing is it needs to be PC'd longer and needs a bigger air-hole for a little extra ge.

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9969172 - 03/14/09 08:29 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

ohhhhh...... i just had a look at my lc and there is a nice bundle of myc in the bottom (well i hope it is myc) so it seems to be coming along nicely

:super:

--------------------

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

#9969254 - 03/14/09 09:02 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

ohhhhh...... i just had a look at my lc and there is a nice bundle of myc in the bottom (well i hope it is myc) so it seems to be coming along nicely

:super:

Sweet!  Good luck!

Offlinecdubbz111
Psycho for hire
 User Gallery

#9970336 - 03/14/09 01:06 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

for casings, you could simply use 49.5% sphagnum peat moss 49.5% vermiculite, and 1% gypsum... thats the way most do it, but i dont use casings so im no real source of help for casings. Good luck tho

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9975151 - 03/15/09 06:42 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

so two days later this is how it looks:

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9976527 - 03/15/09 02:19 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

It's mega hard to get good lc pics.  You need some BRIGHT background like.  Full on sunlight works.  But looks pretty normal so far.

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#9994950 - 03/18/09 01:09 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

well nearly a week now:

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9995180 - 03/18/09 01:44 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Looks pretty good man :-D

Glad it worked out for you.

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#10001409 - 03/19/09 01:59 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

cheers all 4 ur help.

so do i just bung it into the back of the fridge now untill needed & roughly speaking what would the shelf life be for this ??

--------------------

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10001465 - 03/19/09 02:06 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

In the fridge, years I believe.

--------------------

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

#10128540 - 04/08/09 08:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

shit...... i forgot to show you guys the finished product

--------------------

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #10128577 - 04/08/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:

i use spongifoms ports too.

i use a polyfil breather hole on one side and a port on the other with tyvek under the lid.

there is no chance of the polyfil getting wet because the tyvek is there and when you tilt to suck some out you use the port.

basically the same thing he does but with polyfil instead.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Offlineniall_b73
a quick learner
Male User Gallery

Re: liquid culture question ?? [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #10128594 - 04/08/09 08:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

good idea....

--------------------

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #10128657 - 04/08/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i would at least stuff that hole with some polyfil.

you should be able to find tyvek or something suitable.

also,you cant punch 2 holes,one on each side and cover one with rtv sealant or silicone and let it dry....stuff the other with polyfil.

you can then use the rtv or silicone sealed hole as a self healing injection port.
you also may want to PM spongiform...he used to have ports to trade.

--------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

OfflineImpatient
Beginner
Female

#12313596 - 04/01/10 06:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i found that the foil should be off,mine double there innoc time when i found that it should.this is my first hand at all this,so i did 8 jars and birthed 5(because my foil was suffocating them)no contams YET!plus just did my first lc and 5 days going GREAT so thats my opinion best of luck

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale