Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinf4nticide
Stranger
 User Gallery
First time grower, a few questions about sterilization
    #9954781 - 03/11/09 09:14 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Id rather use grains than the PF technique because of the ease of inoculation, but I dont want to buy a pressure cooker and I dont know anybody else who has one. I read about fractional sterilization and I just wanted to know if any of you have tried it and how successful it was. Did any of your samples get contaminated?

Is a pressure cooker so much better that it absolutely sterilizes the substrate? If so, is any lesser degree of sterility (up to the point that I could achieve by boiling, incubating, boiling, incubating, and boiling) generally and practically safe enough that it will kill any major competing infection? Or is there a real risk involved?

Sorry for asking the same question a hundred different ways, Im just trying to really wrap my head around this and cover it from every angle. If you can, please dont skimp on informative detail in your responses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: First time grower, a few questions about sterilization [Re: inf4nticide]
    #9954810 - 03/11/09 09:17 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Fractional sterilization is a joke. A PC guarantees sterility to the degree that we need it, but 'absolute sterilization' would require something like 24 hours @ 15 PSI, which would render your grain to mush.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: First time grower, a few questions about sterilization [Re: Brennus]
    #9955020 - 03/11/09 09:40 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

I think a sustained 22psi in a sterilizer for an hour does it as well. If I recall.

I did fractal sterilization once with grains and got 4 out of 10 contaminated. People have said 50% will contaminate with this method and I believe it is correct.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlineinf4nticide
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9955153 - 03/11/09 09:57 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

50%? That's totally fucking unacceptable. What about vermiculite, can it be appropriately sterilized without a PC, and without me wasting more than one or two jars?

Edited by inf4nticide (03/11/09 10:01 PM)

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #9955237 - 03/11/09 10:08 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

yea, after the one time I did it I ran out and bought a pressure cooker. Some have reported having 0% contaminants but I doubt it. It's possible the substrate contaminated later and they didn't realize it was because of the spawn or that they hadn't done it much and were just lucky. Also they could be idiots talking out of their ass.

If you are serious about the hobby and are getting a PC I would strongly recommend getting an All American Pressure Cooker. They are way the fuck better than anything else and worth the price difference. I wish I had bought one now instead of this cheap Mirro POC (similar to Presto). If you just think you'll do a little though and never get too serious into the hobby go ahead and buy one of the cheaper models.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

InvisibleGanja420Boy
Heroic Doser
 User Gallery

Loc: CoSmoS
    #9955293 - 03/11/09 10:14 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

inf4nticide said:
50%? That's totally fucking unacceptable.

This is why we use a pc :thumbup:

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
    #9955376 - 03/11/09 10:25 PM (15 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

inf4nticide said:
50%? That's totally fucking unacceptable. What about vermiculite, can it be appropriately sterilized without a PC, and without me wasting more than one or two jars?

yes I sterilize all my verm and coir using a rice cooker(steamer) but that shit is strong enough to melt your face off.  Also why you trying to get out of buying a PC they are the best way to do things right. I got mine on ebay and it has paid for itself a 100 times over in the first month. 6 years later I still have the PC and never have contams.

ya gotta think smarter not harder.... ( boil, heat, boil heat...... wow)

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale