Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Dying Pains
    #9948067 - 03/10/09 08:05 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It's not the idea of non-existence that scares me, or the possibility that I will die with many regrets (I won't) - It's the pain I will endure when dying that I fear.

Preferably, I'd like to die in my sleep. However, that is unlikely. It's likely that I will die slowly and painfully.

And suicide is pretty much out of the question. To be honest, I don't have the balls to kill myself even if I wanted to. I could point a gun at my head but the fear of pain would overwhelm me. I could walk in front of a train, but that point of initial impact stops me in my tracks.

I actually think it takes more balls to kill yourself then to keep living.

I admire the courage it takes to do this:

Have you gotten over the fear of pain? If you have, would you say it is one of the harder things you've accomplished?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLethal Dose
Neuro
Male

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: Dying Pains [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #9948143 - 03/10/09 08:16 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Some people have different pain tolerances. Some people even enjoy pain, and choose to induce pain upon themselves. That isn't courage, it's just the way their thoughts and sensations work.

"When thoughts are quieted down, fire itself is cool and refreshing"
-Tu Kou-hao

--------------------
On the scale of wibble to wobble...

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Dying Pains [Re: Lethal Dose]
    #9948188 - 03/10/09 08:23 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Dude that monk is just sitting their meditating while he's burning to death. That takes some serious balls.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Dying Pains [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9948193 - 03/10/09 08:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This is why going the HST route is the best.

I wasn't able to choose how I came into this world, at least I should be able to choose how I'm coming out.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineLethal Dose
Neuro
Male

#9948194 - 03/10/09 08:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

meditation can act as an analgesic :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#9948200 - 03/10/09 08:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Is there really such a thing as "dying in your sleep"?  I've had a feeling this is just a way to sugarcoat any (possibly awful) form of dying at night, after bedtime.

OfflineLethal Dose
Neuro
Male

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #9948218 - 03/10/09 08:30 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I want to die by taking a shitload of pcp and diving into a black hole.

--------------------

InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Dying Pains [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #9948295 - 03/10/09 08:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Amber_Glow said:
Is there really such a thing as "dying in your sleep"?  I've had a feeling this is just a way to sugarcoat any (possibly awful) form of dying at night, after bedtime.

good question

--------------------

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
    #9948461 - 03/10/09 09:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Somethings you just have to accept and one of those is a possible painful death.  At least you can go into shock and all the numerous other ways your body reacts to extreme conditions against it.  The only thing I fear is being tortured to death and I even had a dream about it but I don't let it bother me.  Most things people worry about don't happen to them so why fear it? Odds are you won't die in some extreemly painful way, just accept it.
You might change your suicide beliefs if you get some debilitating disease or many of the ailments from old age.  The helium bag method is the way I'll go if it's done by my own hands.  Very painless.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

Re: Dying Pains [Re: mr.bixby]
    #9948776 - 03/10/09 10:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Ignorance is no defense..

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: Dying Pains [Re: Lethal Dose]
    #9948807 - 03/10/09 10:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lethal Dose said:
meditation can act as an analgesic :thumbup:

lol

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees long...
Re: Dying Pains [Re: aDoS]
    #9948831 - 03/10/09 10:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

:confused:

why is that funny?

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

Loc: Knowhere
Re: Dying Pains [Re: jivJaN]
    #9948937 - 03/10/09 10:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Suicide doesn't take courage. Living in spite of pains, hardships and failures takes courage.

In the case of the monk, he was just copying a well established means of protest in his culture. Nothing original, nothing courageous, and only a minimal effect on the world. I wonder if instead of suicide, if he handed over his life to living solely for making the change he hoped to achieve through his suicide, whether through his persistence and continued effort it would have been more effective than his suicide was.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Mufungo]
    #9948969 - 03/10/09 10:49 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

He was a monk. It is not as if he could take up arms against his oppressors.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

OfflineDayzeoftheNu
Smat Mudda Fucka
Male

Loc: The Dirty South
    #9948981 - 03/10/09 10:52 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That is the monk off of the Rage Against the Machine self titled album cover. He was a true monk/gangster in my mind. Died for standing up against the man. Oh, but i don't think you should be scared of death. You can only die once might as well make it an intense experience. I would much rather die quickly in a blaze of glory than die slowly from cancer or some shit. just my 2 cents. :donkey:

--------------------
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

#9948994 - 03/10/09 10:55 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You have a very narrow perspective if you can only think of two ways to effect change in the world. Suicide or take up arms, WTF? There are many other ways to make a change.

Also, not all monks are as passive as you might assume, read up on history mate.

Edit: Actually, now I think about it monks are still pretty violent in different parts of the world. For example: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/world/asia/15tibet.html?ref=nyregion

Edited by Mufungo (03/10/09 10:59 PM)

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9949638 - 03/11/09 12:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That's different. At the time of that photo Buddhists were very explicitly non-violent, this man is one of the few who is self immolating in order to show his defiance to China's annexation of Tibet (if I am not mistaken). Nowadays they have been becoming less non-violent as frankly many nations have been taking advantage of the fact that Buddhism is a religion against violence, notably in Tibet and Myanmar.

The point of that monk's demonstration in the photo is that the monk is so committed to his personal values of non-violence that he has inflamed himself in a passive meditation to prove his devotion to both his religion and the principles it is founded on.

What other response to a military occupation and destruction of your culture would you say there is? I never said there was only two ways to deal with the situation. I personally would find only one way. However my point was that his religious beliefs barred him from fighting and this all he could do.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleMufungo
Coming at ya
 User Gallery

#9949665 - 03/11/09 01:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yes I understand the monk's intentions, I just believe that he'd be more useful to his cause if he demonstrated his devotion in a less dead manner. People are still setting themselves alight like he did... and other than being a very dramatic way to exit the world, it hasn't done much as far as I can see.. :shrug:

As for what else he could do, well that's only limited by our imaginations and trying things out.. but if a model of precedence is needed then what about how Gandhi did his thing?

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9949739 - 03/11/09 01:20 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

you mean march to Beijing? Not a bad idea.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Invisiblezannennagara
Found in Space
Male

#9949839 - 03/11/09 01:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
At the time of that photo Buddhists were very explicitly non-violent, this man is one of the few who is self immolating in order to show his defiance to China's annexation of Tibet (if I am not mistaken).

This was in Vietnam. Thích Quảng Đức

--------------------
No debe haber separación, no puede haber definición.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Dying Pains [Re: zannennagara]
    #9949908 - 03/11/09 02:09 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

oh in that case I think they were fighting against the VC who was trying to destroying a lot of their religious inferstructure. God, ya know it occurs to me. Historically, it sure sucks to be a Buddhist.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #9950774 - 03/11/09 10:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
It's not the idea of non-existence that scares me, or the possibility that I will die with many regrets (I won't) - It's the pain I will endure when dying that I fear.

Preferably, I'd like to die in my sleep. However, that is unlikely. It's likely that I will die slowly and painfully.

And suicide is pretty much out of the question. To be honest, I don't have the balls to kill myself even if I wanted to. I could point a gun at my head but the fear of pain would overwhelm me. I could walk in front of a train, but that point of initial impact stops me in my tracks.

I actually think it takes more balls to kill yourself then to keep living.

I admire the courage it takes to do this:

Have you gotten over the fear of pain? If you have, would you say it is one of the harder things you've accomplished?

There are painless ways to kill oneself. Read the book Final Exit. Then take a deep breath and know that you have a path.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleMaster Po
Stranger

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Icelander]
    #9950882 - 03/11/09 10:40 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What are you waiting for?

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Master Po]
    #9951120 - 03/11/09 11:27 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

For you to make a post that isn't stoopid.:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMaster Po
Stranger

#9951161 - 03/11/09 11:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

You have some serious issues, please seek professional help.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#9951170 - 03/11/09 11:36 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quit with the personalisms. If you can't follow the forum rules go back to your sandbox.:thumbdown:

--------------------

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9952061 - 03/11/09 02:33 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Trying to avoid future pain has brought me a lot of misery.

I'll deal with it when it happens, not when it's not happening.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Icelander]
    #9953017 - 03/11/09 05:10 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quit with the personalisms. If you can't follow the forum rules go back to your sandbox.:thumbdown:

Yeh, you gotta be more subtle these days.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Dying Pains [Re: Grapefruit]
    #9957294 - 03/12/09 09:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Zactly.:satansmoking:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order