Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Clear Water
Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . .
    #9938781 - 03/09/09 10:01 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

So, I went to the Vagina Monologues at my school this weekend.  My roommate was in it along with a few other ladies I associate with.  I need to get a few things out there since my girlfriend and her best friend were utterly unwilling to listen to my criticism.  Maybe these things that irked me make me appear as if I were looking for something to get fired up about.  Maybe, unconsciously, I was.  Maybe I'm just fired up because I was unable to have a logical discussion about the content . . .

First of all . . . did you know vibrators are illegal to posses and sell in six different states (I forget which ones they mentioned exactly, but I specifically remember Texas, Alabama, and Indiana)?  I tried to find some reliable info on this, but I can't seem to find anything legit . . . hmm . . .

Anyways, there was one monologue talking about "duck lips" and tampons.  The speculum part I can understand because it really doesn't appear to be too comfortable to me.  My problem lies with these three women going on and on about how stupid and uncomfortable tampons are.  I mean, the only reason tampons exist is because women buy them!  The women in the audience were rolling with laughter as the women on stage bantered about stuffing a wad of fucking cotton in their crotches.  If it's so uncomfortable, STOP BUYING THEM!  Seems obvious to me . . .

The women involved had absolutely NO stage presence, plus, they got to read everything off a piece of paper!  Wtf?  I pointed this out to my girlfriend, and she said to give them a break because it was hard for them to get up there and perform.  No. No no no no no.  If you want to impress me, memorize your lines!  Become your character.  It was sooooo unconvincing.  I am not wrong about this.

Also, the dreaded "female genital mutilation" reared it's ugly head.  I got to sit there and listen to the evils of it.  This made me angry.  Let me just say that female genital mutilation is not something I condone by any means!  However, it is a cultural issue.  Why do western cultures have to impose their cultural values on developing nations?  Fucking cultural imperialism.  Fuck it.  The "facts" they gave in the monologue were inaccurate and misleading enough to piss me off.  For the most part, this ritual is performed on women, BY WOMEN!  It's what they do in some cultures.  While I feel that it is wrong, personally, who am I to say what works for them?

Grr.  I feel like this thread may be getting too long. 

Thanks for the vent.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: DearSpike]
    #9938796 - 03/09/09 10:05 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Eh, there are some things that are wrong cross-culturally.

I don't condone slavery by anyone, even if they feel their "culture" condones it.  Child sex is in the same boat.

And certainly amputating the clitoris of young girls for reasons of male insecurity is one of those things.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9938805 - 03/09/09 10:10 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 05:54 PM)

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

#9938811 - 03/09/09 10:12 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

yeah, i saw that recently too and it annoyed me, but at least the girls here had their lines memorized and did a good job of performing. it was hard for me to bring up criticisms without feeling like the wrath of the entire feminist population was after me. they can be worse than witch hunters.
i thought the stupidest skit was the one about the girl who's husband made her shave her pussy and how you have to love hair to love your vagina. she was totally playing up the victim role, and i couldn't help but think "ya know, you had a choice about marrying him". i was like  :foreheadslap:  i thought feminism was about making decisions for yourself, not being told how to think.

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9938824 - 03/09/09 10:17 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

I think it is wrong, too, but why do we have to play culture police?

I can't link my article, but I'll show you where to find it . . .

Boddy, J. "Spirit and Selves in Northern Sudan: The Cultural Therapeutics of Posession and Trance." American Ethnologist (1988) 15:4-27.

--------------------

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: Hendostan]
    #9938841 - 03/09/09 10:22 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

They said that the 'logues were "based on interviews with women," which is code for, "we embellished the shit out of this."  I agreed with the hair lady in the fact that shaved vagina is not what I really care to see.  I want a woman, not a girl.  But, yes, she should've thought that marriage through a little more.  Goes to show just how quick men and women are to jump into this institution.

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
    #9938868 - 03/09/09 10:29 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

sounds like some feminist shit. ill be sure not to go.

haha.

but srsly wtf.  i need to start making foreskin monolouges all around town.

and preach man power!!!!

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: pong]
    #9938919 - 03/09/09 10:47 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Ergh that sounds horrible. I see what you're saying too. The feminist movement can be so stupid and while they fight for equality and the disbanding of stereotypes they usually actually EMBRACE them UNWITTINGLY. It can be pretty pathetic. Same for gender queer movements. They preach doing away with binary gender system them immediately identify with multiple gender stereotypes while rating themselves on a scale. :nonono:

I should start my own brand of feminism.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: PyroBurns]
    #9938945 - 03/09/09 10:55 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

yeah one example of that is the simple fallacy that many people make.

i might have to go to one of these things and ask these BZs to tell me exactly how they themselves have came in contact with anti woman forces that were able to hinder them from leading happy lives.

in fact i believe that the fact that women are portrayed as the victims even when they are the victors is higly detrimental to my psychology bla bla bla bla bla.  Bitches aint shit but holes for dix.

--------------------

InvisibleSvampViking
Går med pumor
Male

#9938952 - 03/09/09 10:57 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

"However, it is a cultural issue.  Why do western cultures have to impose their cultural values on developing nations?  Fucking cultural imperialism."

The only reason female circumcision exists in the overwhelming majority of places it does is because of the imposition of cultural values by other cultures. 

If you think this is a cultural issue that should be left up to the individual cultures involved to decide about, then I'd advise you to actually watch a female circumcision be performed and see what you think then.  I'm a cultural relativist, but I'm also a human, and some practices just need to be eradicated.

--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

Everything is everything, and everything is becoming itself.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: SvampViking]
    #9938960 - 03/09/09 10:59 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

SvampViking said:
"However, it is a cultural issue.  Why do western cultures have to impose their cultural values on developing nations?  Fucking cultural imperialism."

The only reason female circumcision exists in the overwhelming majority of places it does is because of the imposition of cultural values by other cultures. 

If you think this is a cultural issue that should be left up to the individual cultures involved to decide about, then I'd advise you to actually watch a female circumcision be performed and see what you think then.  I'm a cultural relativist, but I'm also a human, and some practices just need to be eradicated.

I agree. Call me an ignorant American ethnocentrist all you want but if I see some fucker decking his frail old wife for buying a gourd that was too expensive in the bazaar he's going down.

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9938966 - 03/09/09 11:00 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

SvampViking said:

I WANT YOU TO WATCH A HUMAN CIRCUMCISION!!!!!

FUCK WE STILL DO THAT IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

one of the main areas that i get pleasure in on my dick is part of my foreskin! 

how can you talk about genitalia mutilation in another country when it happens here!!!!!

why?

because women are victims?
because its religious to do so in the US?

well i think they probably do it in other countries as a religious tradition.

skrew the women in africa.

what about the babies in america?

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9938978 - 03/09/09 11:03 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Hey I'm happy that I'm circumsized. This way I don't have to worry about my dick turning into a block of gouda if I happen to be on the road for awhile.

Clit cutting is a whole other thing. The male version of that would be cutting off the whole head/glans

--------------------

InvisibleSvampViking
Går med pumor
Male

#9938980 - 03/09/09 11:03 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

I hear what you're saying and I agree with you.  I was addressing the point the OP made, which happened to be about female circumcision.

--------------------
The human experience is such that we are caught between being monkies and gods.  It is up to us to decide which direction to go in.

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

#9938989 - 03/09/09 11:06 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

What we are exposed to here are the horror stories.

Boddy, J. "Spirit and Selves in Northern Sudan: The Cultural Therapeutics of Possession and Trance." American Ethnologist (1988) 15:4-27

I know no one is going to track down this article and read it, but it is the source of my feelings towards female genital mutilation, along with the discussion that ensued in my Religion and Culture anthropology class with my professor, herself being a self-proclaimed feminist.  It's definitely WRONG a million times over if it is used as punishment, but when it's performed in a religious context . . . freedom of religion, right?

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9939001 - 03/09/09 11:09 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

well the process is different on an ethical standpoint.

the baby is helpless.

the girl is too but less so.

also the reasons are different

but the procedure remains extremely painful and unnecessary for both little boys and girls.

Quote:

PyroBurns said:
Hey I'm happy that I'm circumsized. This way I don't have to worry about my dick turning into a block of gouda if I happen to be on the road for awhile.

good for you.  but just because you dont remember it doesnt mean they didnt cut ur dick up and u definitly cried and it definitely hurt.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #9939004 - 03/09/09 11:10 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

DearSpike said:
I think it is wrong, too, but why do we have to play culture police?

Empathetic human beings.

--------------------
!

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
    #9939018 - 03/09/09 11:15 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

pong said:
Quote:

SvampViking said:

I WANT YOU TO WATCH A HUMAN CIRCUMCISION!!!!!

FUCK WE STILL DO THAT IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

one of the main areas that i get pleasure in on my dick is part of my foreskin! 

how can you talk about genitalia mutilation in another country when it happens here!!!!!

why?

because women are victims?
because its religious to do so in the US?

well i think they probably do it in other countries as a religious tradition.

skrew the women in africa.

what about the babies in america?

QFT...

and pyroburns... i am so tired of the "uncircumcised dicks are dirty" argument... i am not circumcised and i have been on the road for quite some time... and my dick does not smell or turn foul anymore than the rest of my body does... sometimes i think circumcised men use this as an excuse to not clean their shit...

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: In(di)go]
    #9939028 - 03/09/09 11:17 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

and circumcized cawk is better for srysmashing. 

cus the push is only hard once!

then its all gravy!

--------------------

InvisibleUnbearable_B
Strangerer

#9939053 - 03/09/09 11:22 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

What about male genital mutilation?

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: Unbearable_B]
    #9939061 - 03/09/09 11:24 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Unbearable_B said:
What about male genital mutilation?

&ei=rFC1SeO0E6e6qAPrya3tAw&q=circumcision+video&hl=en

--------------------

InvisibleUnbearable_B
Strangerer

#9939158 - 03/09/09 11:47 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

my question is why tf does it take so god dam long?  really that was quite terrible fuckin watch that shit start at 1:30

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: Unbearable_B]
    #9939162 - 03/09/09 11:49 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

i dunno , cus nobody cares about children.  unless they are girls i guess.

--------------------

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

#9939300 - 03/09/09 12:19 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

While male genital mutilation appears to be incredibly painful, I think it is still mild when compared to more extreme forms of female genital mutilation, which can include one, all, or a combination of the following: removal of the clitoris, removal of the labia minora, removal of the labia majora, sewing the vagina shut.  The first three are primarily used in religious ritual, much like male circumcision.  Some claim it to be a form of cleansing, much like male circumcision.  The fact remains that no matter how you look at it, I feel it is okay as long as it is within a religious context and not done out of mallice.  I still wouldn't condone either male or female circumcision. Ever.  But who am I to say what is right for you and your religion? :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9939436 - 03/09/09 12:48 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

DearSpike said:
The fact remains that no matter how you look at it, I feel it is okay as long as it is within a religious context and not done out of mallice.  I still wouldn't condone either male or female circumcision. Ever.  But who am I to say what is right for you and your religion? :shrug:

:lol:

--------------------
!

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: jewunit]
    #9939446 - 03/09/09 12:50 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Ha. Thanks for pointing that out.  Condone is the wrong word.  Mmm . . . how about facilitate?  Encourage?  Promote?  Applaud?    Grr.  Words are hard . . .
I guess that's what I get for trying to be intelligent about female genital mutilation

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #9939455 - 03/09/09 12:51 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

It is okay to think something is wrong ya know.

--------------------
!

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: jewunit]
    #9939472 - 03/09/09 12:54 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Indeed.  I'm saying it's wrong in my opinion, but I can't be going around forcing others to think the same way.  Gah.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #9939522 - 03/09/09 01:03 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

I think it's fucking gruesome to have your genitals mutilated at such an early stage of life, at a time when the child is most sensitive to the external world.

I see it clearly as child abuse, male and female circumcision even more so. I'm not against removal of the foreskin. I'm against doing it without conscious consent of the child.

Let your child do it when he is old enough to make an informed choice!

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #9939710 - 03/09/09 01:48 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Well, yes, I still think circumcision is pretty unethical but it's far less barbaric than clitoral.

As for health benefits the cleanly thing isn't such a big deal but it IS nice to not have to worry about lint getting in your dick. And the biggest reason I see is that many people end up with deformed foreskins that end up being too tight, bursting, or whatever that end up forcing them to get clipped at 19 anyway and then they remember the pain. I'm not really upset that I was clipped even though I think uncut looks better.

--------------------

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #9939757 - 03/09/09 01:55 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

I'm a misogynist. This topic bores me.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Invisiblejohnnyrad

*DELETED* [Re: pong]
    #9940551 - 03/09/09 03:53 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Edited by johnnyrad (08/06/17 08:32 PM)

Offlinealternatereality
Explorer
Female

Loc: Washington
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: johnnyrad]
    #9941132 - 03/09/09 05:13 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

In some ways I think the female circumcision that takes place in other cultures is less wrong than the common practice of removing the foreskin here.

Yes, it's still wrong and gruesome, but I think that it's probably hard for us to fully understand it. It's an important ceremony in some cultures. I'm sure that many girls are not only not traumatized by it, but welcome it as a sort of rite of passage. It seems to me from other things I've seen about this, that for many of the girls this happens to...it's just a part of life. Also, they're old enough to realize what's happening. And though I'm sure it would be incredibly painful, they probably see it as something entirely different than we do.

It seems to me that doing a similar procedure to a child for often no real reason other than the fact that it's commonly accepted is just as bad, if not worse. It may not be quite as painful, but it's the same concept. Just because it's done at a time when the child won't be able to remember it doesn't make it any better.

--------------------

InvisibleSvampViking
Går med pumor
Male

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: alternatereality]
    #9941176 - 03/09/09 05:22 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

A lot of them do welcome it, but they welcome it because, if they didn't have it done, they would be ostricized by the society they live in.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9941177 - 03/09/09 05:22 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

alternatereality said:
In some ways I think the female circumcision that takes place in other cultures is less wrong than the common practice of removing the foreskin here.

Yes, it's still wrong and gruesome, but I think that it's probably hard for us to fully understand it. It's an important ceremony in some cultures. I'm sure that many girls are not only not traumatized by it, but welcome it as a sort of rite of passage. It seems to me from other things I've seen about this, that for many of the girls this happens to...it's just a part of life. Also, they're old enough to realize what's happening. And though I'm sure it would be incredibly painful, they probably see it as something entirely different than we do.

It seems to me that doing a similar procedure to a child for often no real reason other than the fact that it's commonly accepted is just as bad, if not worse. It may not be quite as painful, but it's the same concept. Just because it's done at a time when the child won't be able to remember it doesn't make it any better.

They lose their CLIT. That's like me losing half of my dick. I don't care who you are, that's horrible.

--------------------

InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tardy to the Party
    #9941185 - 03/09/09 05:24 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

This is where moral relativism gets you.

This is supposed to be the Shroomery, where you don't put your basis of truth in the hands of blind tradition.

--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9941235 - 03/09/09 05:36 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

PyroBurns said:
Well, yes, I still think circumcision is pretty unethical but it's far less barbaric than clitoral.

As for health benefits the cleanly thing isn't such a big deal but it IS nice to not have to worry about lint getting in your dick. And the biggest reason I see is that many people end up with deformed foreskins that end up being too tight, bursting, or whatever that end up forcing them to get clipped at 19 anyway and then they remember the pain. I'm not really upset that I was clipped even though I think uncut looks better.

the deformed foreskin that is too tight at old age is because the parents didnt make the kid take his head outa the skin at a young age.  it needs mad stretching.

mine is so stretched that when im hard you cant tell im uncircumcized if ur the chick blowing me.  then i come and its like wow ur uncut? wtf?!

and i say yeah its better.

lol

--------------------

Offlinedoom876
Stranger

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #9941340 - 03/09/09 05:57 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

supernovasky said:
Eh, I'm sorry, no matter what the culture, I agree with the above poster... genital mutilation needs to be ended. Its often done without anesthesia, and it is quite capable (and often does) kill the girl on the receiving end, and often done at the age of 12-13. Think about someone literally cutting off the head of your penis right now without anesthesia. The clit's got higher percentages of nerve endings than even that, and you can imagine how painful it must be.

Yeah. Americans are often fluffy and call things like genital mutalation rights, and other things "culture". Culture doesn't make some things, like genital mutelation, any less horrific.

Cercumsicion is bad when done to kids too, let them grow up and make the decision.

--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

Edited by doom876 (03/09/09 05:59 PM)

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: doom876]
    #9941639 - 03/09/09 07:03 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

doom876 said:
Cercumsicion is bad when done to kids too, let them grow up and make the decision.

Which would put the circumcision rate down to 0% lol

OfflineDearSpike
Brewer Fan
Male User Gallery

Re: Reflections on the Vagina Monologues . . . [Re: Brugman]
    #9942913 - 03/09/09 10:33 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Brugman said:
Quote:

doom876 said:

Which would put the circumcision rate down to 0% lol

I don't know . . . some people are into some crazy shit . . .

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies