Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBrainrape
PerpetualDissenter
Am I just lucky?
    #993539 - 10/25/02 09:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I birthed my first cakes ever recently (never grown before). I had the first birthed cake in my terrarium but decided instead to case it with potting soil. I've done the same for 3 more cakes. I didn't boil the soil and the jars were BRF pf tek. My buddy suggested I should just grow off the cake but everyone on this board keeps saying casing is not as hard as newbies think.

My question is, am i just lucky that my casings haven't been contaminated since i didn't sterilize the dirt or is it pretty safe to use potting soil straight out of the bag? The soil is a mix of rich dirt, vermiculite, perlite, peatmoss, and a wee bit of fertilizer bought at a supermarket (i think it's ideal for roses).

One casing is already pinning (though uneven - as i get better i hope for better pinsets). They seemed to colonize pretty quickly... only a few days until i took off the cover and let them have light.

The environment is about 78 degrees F and about 80 RH.

I just can't believe that i successfully cased without growing off cakes first AND that i haven't had the contam problems in casing that i've had with my incubating jars.

A second question - i tried to make everything as even as possible (the cake layer as well as the casing layer) but the pinset isn't very even... i get clumps of 6-8 pins shooting up in different areas. Is there something i'm doing wrong that's making the pinset uneven? What can i do (i've tried recasing aggressive spots) to ensure an even pinset?

The strain is Ecuadorian.

--------------------
--That which we do not understand must be respected; for man's knowledge is great and that which has eluded him may have done so for a reason--

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Am I just lucky? [Re: Brainrape]
    #993773 - 10/26/02 12:09 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well you aren't gonna get fruits in rows, perfectly distributed no matter what you do, there is some degree of disorder regardless of what you do. Just be happy that you got fruits on your first attempt. Next time you may want to make your own casing soil from peat and verm and so on..... I'd also advise to sterilize your casing next time. You may have been lucky this time, or maybe the contams are lurking under the surface . Muah muwahh muwaahhhhhhh. But seriously, good job, congrats. For next time try http://www.thehawkseye.com/50-50casing.html it works great, just substitute calcium carbonate for hydrated lime.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation