Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizardman
Reptilian Space Pope
Male

Loc: Downriver from Sandoz
Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: Sheekle]
    #11854691 - 01/18/10 05:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sheekle said:
Damn, I didn't even know that you could get tested for genetic predispositions. Thank's for teaching me something that I probably learned in school but forgot :awecid:

It's still a new technique, and by now prohibitively expensive, but it's rapidly becoming cheaper (a couple of thousand dollars for a rundown of the most common hereditary disease markers instead of a couple hundred thousand a few years ago). Of course, this has some scary implications as well, but i think it could do a lot for harm reduction if people would know about such individual factors.

Of course, this could also open up completely new problems.
What if you know that you are vulnerable to schizophrenia and still want to get high? This could lead such people to consuming more opiates and benzos, which do not induce psychosis, but have other serious risks.
What if i knew that drug-induced psychosis is not an issue for me?
I could trip with a calmer state of mind, but i would probably be much less cautious about my intake of psychedelics when the greatest risk of it would be eliminated, which could then lead to other problems like severe HPPD or alienation from non-trippers who do not understand me anymore or whom i wouldn't understand.

Well, by now it's too expensive anyway and since genetic diagnostics are still in such an early stage, i don't know how reliable it would be yet. But i'm certain that such methods will become increasingly popular in the next few decades.
We'll see where this leads, but it would likely affect all kinds of health issues, including our handling of drugs, if such technologies ever became commonplace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLibertin
Absurdist
 User Gallery

Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: niteowl]
    #11854842 - 01/18/10 05:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

my anxiety tended to focus around the tachycardia i would get and the fear of having a heart attack or some other type of health problem from marijuana.

i guess the point i am trying to get across is that i am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the anxiety i experienced on marijuana did not have much to do with the fact that marijuana was illegal AT ALL, and i think this is also true for a lot of other people who get panic attacks from marijuana.

Right, your anxiety came from a fear of the negative health effects of weed.

Your fear was there before you smoked the weed.

Proving once again, that anxiety from weed comes not from the weed, but underlying fears associated with the smoking of it.

I don't share the seemingly prevalent opinion that weed is a flawless miracle drug immune from criticism. It causes one's heart rate to increase, and this effect can be frightening - even for experienced users. This doesn't mean it's an unsafe drug. The notion that weed is safe remains true, in fact it's remarkable that this is pretty much the worst cannabis can do to you.

To people with this type of anxiety symptom, I would recommend to try smoking a little less. And to remember that you will be fine, cannabis has a long history of safe use.

OfflineYith
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: Libertin]
    #12964934 - 07/28/10 12:37 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've gotten a panic attack on weed.  It was quite strange because I didn't smoke a lot (I don't really smoke weed much at all anyway). Previous times I'd just be high with no problems.. but when I get a panic attack there is a complete shift of reality.  I'll smoke then all of the sudden realize I have this immense feeling of doom and have no idea what's going on or what I just did a few moments ago and be pulled into this world of fear.  : O

It was a complete jump from just being high.  Instead of feeling high while still being in control.. let's say 80% in control to 20% of being high.  (Still functioning etc.) I go to 30% in control and 70% out of control. 

While you're in it you feel as though it may never go away, crazy etc.

Calming myself down worked to an extent but you just have to wait for it to go away.  It SUCKS.

One scary part, because I had realized that I didn't feel in control is that I thought about those stories of people stabbing someone on PCP (of course that's silly on weed but in that state of fear, a lot changes)

So I tried NOT thinking about that, like knives or whatever and guess what was stuck in my head. I'm not violent, never committed a crime never wish to hurt anyone, animals even insects but fear has a funny way of changing a persons thinking. I guess I was just scared of losing control and having the potential of doing something without thinking.

Well anyway.. if you ever get that sudden feeling of doom and start shitting bricks, worry not.  It will pass. 

It's really terrible while "inside" it though.

--------------------
See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armor.
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side.
Step into the shadow.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: RussianScholar]
    #12965696 - 07/28/10 08:31 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I get them from time to time, and they hit me badly.  They stem from past issues I've had.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: abltsandwich]
    #12965920 - 07/28/10 09:46 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

These days if I smoke strong sativas I invaribly feel like I'm about to have a heart attack and pain worst than anything I have experienced in normal terms shoots throughout my body particularly in the upper regions. Even when I'm sober I'm not really convinced my marijuana panic experiences are fully safe and psychosomatic because the pain is just unbearably intense.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Offlineemeraldlife88
Emerald

Re: the weekly almost daily "Panic Attacks on Weed" threads [Re: Grapefruit]
    #12966115 - 07/28/10 10:47 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have been dealing with anxiety from weed for a bit now. But last night I managed to get over it. It was after I read a brilliant post by drr, where he said that anxiety is anxiety. You must face anxiety in general. You must learn to understand it is useless and beat it in whatever drug you're taking. Nonetheless, I went to a friend's house and smoked a little and the anxiety wasn't bad at all and passed rather quickly and I had a good time. Anxiety can be beat, especially if it's stemming from drug usage. What you must realize is that it is the drug that's bringing it about, and that you can control it by simply realizing, it's just the drug, have a good time!
  I am also a person that developed anxiety after a long period of smoking weed almost daily. I think that is when it mostly occurs. And, no, my anxiety has NOTHING to do with its illegal status. So sick of hearing that shit. My anxiety has more to do with existential thinking and the fear of mental illness. I think that after awhile your body just doesn't want you doing it so much. It's like stop it, too much, now see what's going to happen. I've been smoking less, not like taking months off, but limiting myself to every few days and not smoking too much weed, and it works very well. You need to learn to do it in moderation. I also think there comes a point where you don't need it daily anymore. You've been there done that, and it really just gets old. I know a part of my anxiety stemmed from wanting to stop smoking everyday.
  Also, anxiety is a lot different than schizophrenia. I hate when people joke, "it's the schizophrenia kicking in." Like shut up, do you think that's going to help anyone through their anxiety. Anyway, I've had some very intense and offbeat feelings of anxiety while under cannabis that have bothered me even when I'm off it, but you need to smoke moderately and smoke less and you'll be fine. It is very sad, the initial glory days of weed are something to be cherished, when it's all feel good no fear. But those can come back, you just need to adjust yourself to a new way of thinking. After all, we are a constantly changing species, but cannabis will always be the same. There will be tougher points in your life that cannabis might not bode as well to, especially in the day to day.
  However, you really must understand to get over it that the anxiety is useless and brought about by the effects of the weed and your own useless mental fear. It is beatable, and taking lower doses of marijuana really helps curb these effects. Plus, if you are smoking moderately you will not need to smoke so much anyway, as your tolerance won't be to the moon.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals